Gransnet forums

Chat

Embroidery - help want to restart after several decades!

(17 Posts)
Feelingmyage55 Thu 15-Oct-20 13:24:07

Fennel. I could use all the T-shirts that are destined to be dusters.

Fennel Thu 15-Oct-20 12:22:23

grin - never noticed that!

agnurse Wed 14-Oct-20 21:26:14

Fennel

His fuzzy helper is the best part!

Fennel Wed 14-Oct-20 16:49:21

Another idea - for later perhaps -
www.beamish.org.uk/content/uploads/2015/04/General-037-cropped.jpg

Feelingmyage55 Tue 13-Oct-20 19:41:17

Lots of good ideas everyone. Thank you.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 13-Oct-20 12:52:29

Best of luck Feelingmyage I'm sure you'll find sewing very therapeutic - it helps to while away the time and at the end of it you've got something constructive, not to mention possibly unique.
Embroidery is my first love. In the last year I bought a magnifying glass which I wear round my neck and there's a small piece of it which magnifies even more so that threading needles is not too much of a trial.

Fennel Tue 13-Oct-20 12:45:35

I decided to start doing tapestry when I was in my 60s. By then my eyesight and fine motor control were starting to get worse so I chose to use wool, instead of fine cotton thread.
I got some books out of the library showing the different stitches. And bought wools and designs from a stall in the Grainger market, Newcastle - it's still there! Also bought the fabric and hand-drew a design.
There was a framer in the market at the time. We still have a few of these tapestry pictures hanging in our house.
ps I have a feeling that I've written this before, Annibach wanted to start embroidery.

PECS Tue 13-Oct-20 08:26:40

I boughrt some kits from Paraffle an Edinbugh small enterprise. It was to give my DDDs ( 11 & 15) , both craft lovers, a chance to learn a new skill during lockdown. Pretty designs and contain all you need including a stitch guide. They have enjoyed them and I have just bought a Christmas kit for me!

agnurse Tue 13-Oct-20 08:18:56

Ooh, I have a suggestion! Consider a subscription to a cross stitch magazine! There are a number you can get in the UK. My personal favourite is Cross Stitcher. Each month you get a free gift - usually a small kit, but sometimes a pattern or a set of patterns. The magazines have a mix of small and large projects. Some of the larger projects even have project packs that you can purchase from Willow Fabrics - comes with everything except the hoop and scissors. Even includes the needle for you. Willow Fabrics also sells back issues of Cross Stitcher, so if you find a reference to a particular pattern and you want that issue, you can still buy it.

Grandmabatty Tue 13-Oct-20 07:59:48

I find it helps to distract me, particularly in these days without visits or visitors. And it is very soothing. Let me know how you get on.

Feelingmyage55 Sun 11-Oct-20 15:10:13

That is lovely. The ones I’ve ordered will be easier to carry around than large pieces of knitting on a circular needle, not that I can go anywhere just now. I have also joined their monthly club which will provide me with variety. I’m going to do one of the festive ones for my daughter. I also think it will help when I cannot sleep at night, soothing but still concentrating.

Grandmabatty Sun 11-Oct-20 10:59:48

You're welcome feelingmyage. Here's the latest one I've just finished.

Feelingmyage55 Sat 10-Oct-20 20:44:19

Thank you Grandmabatty. That is just the thing. Ordered something to start as the clocks change. Keep my hands out of the sweetie bag too.

Grandmabatty Sat 10-Oct-20 08:17:23

Should say fabric.

Grandmabatty Sat 10-Oct-20 08:17:01

Would you consider cross stitch? There's a lovely website called The Geeky Stitcher and they send you the full kit, fabre, threads, hoop, needle etc. I think they do other forms of sewing too. I have ordered a few and they usually arrive within the week.

Feelingmyage55 Fri 09-Oct-20 20:11:45

*start small

Feelingmyage55 Fri 09-Oct-20 20:11:12

I used to do embroidery but stopped in favour of knitting and sewing. Facing the winter I’d like to restart. I don’t know what brand of threads or hoops to buy. Can anyone advise please. I always buy high quality fabric and wool, thinking about the effort that goes into the making and would like to buy ‘good enough’ to get restarted. Also I’d be happy to be recommenced an online supplier as I live in a tiny town. I plan to seat small - no cushions yet. Thank you.