Gransnet forums

Chat

Sore arm after flu jab

(142 Posts)
Doodledog Fri 09-Oct-20 23:08:31

I had a flu jab yesterday, and my arm is really painful. I couldn’t sleep last night, as every time I so much as touched it with the duvet it hurt. Today it is achey and tender, and I get occasional stabbing pains in the injection site.

Is this normal? The nurse did say that it might be a bit sore for a couple of hours, but this is more like 36 hours later and it is painful, rather than sore.

b1zzle Tue 20-Oct-20 21:29:29

Had my first flu jab ever today - and all was well apart from almost eight hours afterwards when I was suddenly overwhelmed by tiredness. Couldn't fight it. Gave in to it and an hour later was back to normal.

Patsy70 Fri 16-Oct-20 16:39:15

Yes, I realise it isn't flu, Marydoll, but it certainly feels like a mild dose. I'm sure I'll be fine soon. I'm taking Ibuprofen for the aches. Thank you.

Marydoll Fri 16-Oct-20 16:31:14

Patsy, The flu jab cannot give you the flu – the flu jab is an inactivated vaccine, which means it does not contain any of the live flu virus. This means that it is impossible to catch the flu from the flu jab. However, you can get mild flu-like symptoms as a side effect of the flu jab that will pass after a few days.

I did find that taking paracetamol helped, if you can take it.
Hope you feel better, sooner than later.

Patsy70 Fri 16-Oct-20 16:20:36

Feeling quite poorly after yesterday's flu and pneumonia jabs, both in the left arm, which I suggested as I didn't want two sore arms. Am feeling very achy and tired, with a humdinger of a headache. I went to bed at 7pm last night and didn't get up until 2pm. This is unheard of for me. I guess it is just a mild attack of flu.

Stephenmarra Tue 13-Oct-20 20:37:34

Just had my Flu jab today and touch wood no soreness at all, let's hope it stays that way. hmm
After reading this thread I was a bit worried this year but so far all's good.

glammagran Tue 13-Oct-20 19:05:27

Upthread I said I had my first one on Thursday afternoon. Had a very sore the next day and felt spaced out but back to normal by Saturday.

On Sunday I got a painful, red raised lump under the same arm which felt like a lymph node. Started thinking the worst. Then I looked it up and read it can be a rarer side effect from the flu vaccine. Feels a little better today. Has anyone else experienced this?

Tweedle24 Tue 13-Oct-20 11:03:54

icanhandthemback

My daughter had such a problem with the site where she had a flu jab, for so long and with such pain, she never had another. They thought they might have hit a nerve.
This year mine is still feeling slightly bruised (I had mine on the 26th of last month) but it is significantly better than the early days. Quite honestly though, it is so much better than flu!

icanhandthemback You are quite right, unless you have one of the extremely rare bad reactions, it is better than the flu.

I think that people underestimate flu thinking it is just a heavy cold. It isn’t. It is a potential killer.

Lovetopaint037 Tue 13-Oct-20 10:51:51

Never had a sore arm or any reaction from it. Remember reading a leaflet in the surgery that said any apparent ill effects were not related to the flu jab. My daughter denies this and said she was unwell for quite awhile. I always wonder if it was the actual flu vaccination.

Oopsadaisy4 Tue 13-Oct-20 08:33:18

Hashimoto disease does affect the Thyroid, but it’s an autoimmune disease.

Daisymae Tue 13-Oct-20 07:50:58

I took some ibuprofen as it helps to reduce inflammation. Really helped. Give the surgery a call if it's still a problem

GogoTJ Mon 12-Oct-20 23:18:45

Until recently one of my main jobs at a GP surgery was giving flu jabs. Occasionally it can cause a painful reaction but nothing to worry about and should go after a day or 2.
If you get a painful, red arm paracetamol will help.
If the site is red and painful, make a note of the size of the redness. If it spreads and becomes more painful and hot over the following few days/week then ring the surgery. It is very unusual to get an infection like cellulitis from a jab.

Pixieboots Mon 12-Oct-20 23:07:44

I thought it was basically underactive thyroid ?

EllanVannin Mon 12-Oct-20 22:52:48

Hashimoto affects the immune system so you need protecting.

Pixieboots Mon 12-Oct-20 22:50:19

Thank you EllanVannin. Had this discission with a friend as it was her reason for not having the flu jab. Ive not had one before but have it booked for next week. Fingers crossed that I'll have minimal side effects.

EllanVannin Mon 12-Oct-20 22:45:41

Yes, Pixieboots, you can still have the flu jab---more so I suspect.

Pixieboots Mon 12-Oct-20 22:43:24

Hi, does anyone know if you can have the flu jab if you have been diagnosed with Hashimoto ?

Mamie Mon 12-Oct-20 18:48:38

I have never stopped teaching Fennel. Always plenty of germs. ? (Though this year I am on Zoom).

Fennel Mon 12-Oct-20 16:56:35

Thanks to both of you.
Mamie - as you know we lived in France , like you, for many years. When we were there, way out in the country, we never had flu, or even a cold all 17 years. On returning here we've had a few symptoms the last 2 winters.
Seems like Covid, we need to avoid social mixing.
After talking to a few friends here I've decided to go ahead with the injection. Fingers crossed.

Oopsadaisy4 Mon 12-Oct-20 15:53:27

We had the flu jab for over 65s on Saturday morning, absolutely no after effects at all, for either of us.

Mamie Mon 12-Oct-20 12:19:00

I have had the flu injection for over fifteen years, never had 'flu and only the most minor of reactions a couple of times. I don't rub my arm but make sure that I exercise it regularly with arm circles etc, for a couple of days.
My view is that it is important to have it not only for my own health, but also to help prevent the spread amongst others.

Fennel Mon 12-Oct-20 11:35:02

Like Noreen on the previous page, I've never had a flu injection but I'm booked to have it this year. I've had flu a few times, very badly in 1957 and 1995. Now aged 84.
After reading all this I'm beginning to think of cancelling the appt.
What I would like to know from those who have always had the injection, did it prevent you from getting 'flu?

Carmo1 Mon 12-Oct-20 11:33:37

I had flu jab in one arm and pneumonia jab in the other was expecting the worst but luckily no after effect whatsoever

Rose30 Mon 12-Oct-20 09:55:35

Just read on the NHS website that the vaccine for the over 65s contains an extra ingredient to make the body's immune system react more strongly. Presumably we all get the same dose - 9 stone or 19 stone and that's why some of us are still feeling it days after the event?

Hetty58 Mon 12-Oct-20 02:06:32

sazz1, I've never had the 'flu jab as I have severe allergies and bad reactions to almost everything. I've only ever had 'flu twice.

It seems to me that, this year, being ultra careful to avoid any contact with people, my chances of catching 'flu should be very much diminished anyway.

My nurse friend predicts a very low number of flu-related deaths (as so many of the weak and vulnerable have been taken by Coronavirus).

sazz1 Sun 11-Oct-20 23:39:17

Had flu jab for years now never had a problem with it except 2nd year and last year.
Last year I had a temperature 24hrs after and felt ill. Went to bed and got up next day absolutely fine. Persuaded my DD to have it and definitely didn't tell her it had made me ill or she wouldn't have had it done. Exactly 24 hours after she rang me saying she felt really ill, temperature etc. She went to bed and woke up next day absolutely fine. Can't just be coincidence can it.
This year my sister ended up in hospital with breathing problems which she thinks was the flu jab. She has multiple health problems anyway. Tested negative for Covid and ok now.
But I'm worried and don't think I will have it done.