Gransnet forums

Chat

Sore arm after flu jab

(141 Posts)
Doodledog Fri 09-Oct-20 23:08:31

I had a flu jab yesterday, and my arm is really painful. I couldn’t sleep last night, as every time I so much as touched it with the duvet it hurt. Today it is achey and tender, and I get occasional stabbing pains in the injection site.

Is this normal? The nurse did say that it might be a bit sore for a couple of hours, but this is more like 36 hours later and it is painful, rather than sore.

Marydoll Fri 09-Oct-20 23:18:56

Mine was sore for a week! I had terrible side effects, as I'm immunosuppressed. It's fine now.

Doodledog Fri 09-Oct-20 23:22:53

Oh dear. Sorry to hear you had a week of it - I’ll be like a zombie if I don’t get some sleep- but it’s good to know that it will wear off eventually, thanks.

Marydoll Fri 09-Oct-20 23:25:38

Just keep an eye on it.

MaizieD Fri 09-Oct-20 23:29:26

My flu jab was a bit painful the night after, but the pneumonia in the other arm made it so painful and swollen that I ended up putting an ice pack on it. Which helped a lot. Jabs were on Wednesday. Hardly notice the flu now, but the other is still a bit sore.

I expect that people have different reactions. Hard to tell what is normal.

Hope yours wears off soon.

merlotgran Fri 09-Oct-20 23:34:03

How long does it take to wear off?

This is worrying me because DH is due for one next Tuesday. Neither of us has had one for five years because we were both ill and as we live in an isolated property we were happy to be careful about contact with others - just as we are now because of Covid.

He now has multiple health issues. The nurse he sees has put pressure on him to have the flu jab so he agreed. I have refused.

He really doesn't need pain or discomfort of any kind at the moment. We don't go anywhere, we don't see anyone and our Covid precautions are as rigorous as they can be so I don't see how we can get 'flu'

It's his decision. I've made mine.

Grannynannywanny Fri 09-Oct-20 23:34:53

My arm was very tender overnight after mine last week. It woke me when I lay on that side. I’ll put more thought into the next one. For those of you still to get it I’d advise having it on your left arm if you sleep on your right side and vice versa. It was only 1 night but it woke me several times.

Grannynannywanny Fri 09-Oct-20 23:41:40

merlotgran I can understand your reasons not to want the flu jag and think you don’t need it. But you mentioned your husband sees a nurse. If you think how many other patients she’s been in contact with prior to seeing your husband then maybe it’s safer to have it.

TwiceAsNice Fri 09-Oct-20 23:42:11

I am having this years jab on the 17th. Last year I had a sore arm for several days and felt a bit off colour but I can react badly to injections. The year before I was fine. I think it might depend on individual strains of flu jab. Hope you feel better soon

harrigran Fri 09-Oct-20 23:47:19

DH was really quite poorly after his, he said he felt as though he had the flu.
My arm was sore but not unbearable.

Doodledog Fri 09-Oct-20 23:49:37

I second Grannynannywanny’s recommendation to think about which arm to have injected. Mine was in the left arm, and I sleep on my left side, so it hurt all night. I tried to sleep on the right side, but would accidentally turn over as I was nodding off.

merlotgran Fri 09-Oct-20 23:49:41

If you think how many other patients she’s been in contact with prior to seeing your husband then maybe it’s safer to have it.

I get what you mean, Gnw but surely there has to be an outbreak of 'flu' first?

Marydoll Fri 09-Oct-20 23:50:00

Everyone is different. I've always had one, due to my lung problems.

However, as I'm now 65, I got a different vaccine from usual.
I react to everything, lots of allergies, comorbidities, compromised immune system, etc, etc.
I always feel unwell, just varying degrees, so nothing different there. I wasn't in the least bit surprised at the effects this time!

However, I would rather have the innoculation and suffer, as opposed to the consequences. It's a matter of individual choice. It's not worth stressing over.

I have to admit, I did complain a bit about feeling rubbish!😁

Grannynannywanny Sat 10-Oct-20 00:10:21

merlotgran I’m inclined to think once we’re into winter season flu tends to be rife for a few months. It’s a major concern for the NHS every winter without the added concern of covid this year. I can understand your reluctance if your husband is already unwell. Perhaps discuss it in more detail with GP or nurse and see what they advise.
Wishing you both well over the winter months.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 10-Oct-20 03:39:42

Had mine last Saturday, arm sore and red lasted until about Wednesday.

I slept all Sunday afternoon after taking a couple of paracetamols. I always feel very jaded and flu-like for a day or two, but once that’s gone fine.

It is far better than the alternative as anyone who has ever had real flu will testify!

BBbevan Sat 10-Oct-20 03:44:42

DH and I had ours last Wednesday. We both had a slightly sore arm for 2 days. I slept most of the next day but felt fine otherwise. DH was being brave and carried on as normal. All fine now.

BlueBelle Sat 10-Oct-20 06:12:54

I Ve never have any reaction at all in 7 years
I had mine last Saturday and never even felt the needle go in
I didn’t have any reactions to the shingles or pneumonia jabs either when I had them a few years back

You can’t get flu from the injection as it s not a live vaccine I wonder what component it is that some people are so sensitive to ? That’s the interesting question that no one ever seems to ask

Ashcombe Sat 10-Oct-20 06:37:43

I guess our various constitutions react differently. Mine was done four weeks ago and, apart from some stiffness, I felt fine and was well enough to drive to Portsmouth the following day. By chance, I chose to have it administered in my left arm and I sleep on right side.
Four years ago, I was so ill with flu, that my GP threatened to send me to hospital as I was on my own. Needless to say, that hastened recovery!!

Jane10 Sat 10-Oct-20 07:34:32

We had oursladt week. Absolutely no pain or swelling or side effects. They must use very fine needles as I hardly felt it at all. Changed days from the old reusable ones. I used to really dread injections.

dragonfly46 Sat 10-Oct-20 07:44:31

I had mine last Saturday. Apart from my arm being a bit sore for a couple of days I have been fine.

downtoearth Sat 10-Oct-20 07:50:13

I had mine 2 weeks ago,the actual injection hurt,but that was more to do with the doctors technique,....think Norman Bates with a syringe....

Felt sleepy saturday afternoon,right as rain sunday.

I was injected in left arm as always,I sleep on my right,usually feel a bit off for a few days,but not this year,,I was fine

Oopsadaisy4 Sat 10-Oct-20 07:56:46

SIL and Niece were quite poorly with their jabs, we have ours this morning, we shall see......

Ladyleftfieldlover Sat 10-Oct-20 08:03:33

OH and I had our flu jabs on Tuesday. He is absolutely fine, yet I felt under the weather and achy for a couple of days. My arm was red and swollen too.

SpringyChicken Sat 10-Oct-20 08:09:39

I had my first flu jab last month. No side effects whatsoever and I slept on that side the same night. Husband had a slightly sore arm for a day. My mother was always poorly after hers. So , you cannot predict how you’ll be after yours. Hopefully you will be fine.

ExD Sat 10-Oct-20 08:14:41

I hadn't had one for years, my reason was the same as everyone else who refuses it - very heavy cold immediately after, feeling generally 'off' for weeks etc etc. This year's recipe does seem to be giving everyone a very sore arm, more so than usual people tell me - so don't worry too much.
I think one of the reasons for this insistence by doctors is because they've noticed that people who've had it have a less severe experience of covid if they catch it. So I went for it this time - no real reaction apart from the sore arm and feeling under the weather - but when I come to think of it I do feel very weary and unenergetic at the moment and its been 2 and a bit weeks now
I hope I soon shake it off. sad