Gransnet forums

Chat

Oops - silly cooking mistake.

(25 Posts)
MamaCaz Sat 10-Oct-20 10:14:50

I have just been making both a sweet egg custard tart and a savoury quiche at the same time, and in a momentary lapse of concentration, I added salt and pepper to the egg custard!!!
Too late to swap over and put it on the quiche instead, because the sugar was already added.

(Luckily, the quiche is unaffected as I was still able to complete that as normal.)

I wonder if OH will notice when I serve him a slice of the egg custard later.
It could either be awful, or maybe even tastier than usual.
Watch this space, blush grin

Calendargirl Sat 10-Oct-20 10:17:45

Sorry, but think it will be 🤮.

MamaCaz Sat 10-Oct-20 10:24:30

You think it will be what, calendargirl? I guess you mean 'awful' as you started with 'sorry'. grin

I did stick my finger into the mixture before pouring it into my pastry case, and just from that incredibly tiny sample, it didn't seem to taste bad (the sugar and mace were still the predominant flavours), so I decided it was worth baking it anyway.

Daddima Sat 10-Oct-20 10:30:13

Well, salted caramel is a ‘thing’ now, so, who knows?

Calendargirl Sat 10-Oct-20 11:02:19

MamaCaz

I thought I was being clever doing the 🤮!

The last laugh is on me however. It must be catching.
I have just made a Be-Ro rubbed in chocolate chip cake.
It should have gone in a single deep cake tin, but in a senior moment, have dolloped it in two sandwich tins!

Too late to mess about swapping tins, so will end up with two shallow cakes.

Oh well, hopefully edible!

🍫🍰

LuckyFour Sat 10-Oct-20 11:08:20

MamaCaz - Put the two chocolate halves together with some thick cream. YUM YUM.

MamaCaz Sat 10-Oct-20 11:12:11

I'm sure they will turn out great, Calendargirl, as long as you remember to reduce the baking time - even better if you then stick them together with something delicious such as nutella smile 🍰

MamaCaz Sat 10-Oct-20 11:14:05

I was too slow - I see LuckyFour has already suggested something similar ☺

Illte Sat 10-Oct-20 11:15:12

Almost everything tastes better with a pinch of salt 🙂

Not sure about the pepper though😬

MamaCaz Sat 10-Oct-20 11:15:33

Daddima

Well, salted caramel is a ‘thing’ now, so, who knows?

Fingers crossed 😁

Callistemon Sat 10-Oct-20 11:20:13

Tell him the pepper could be nutmeg if he says anything.

Yes, salted flavours are in at the moment.

MamaCaz Sat 10-Oct-20 11:24:32

As I grate nutmeg all over the top anyway (as well as mace mixed into the custard), he shouldn't be difficult to convince grin

Trouble is, I didn't actually measure how much salt and pepper I threw in, so a lot will depend on how heavy-handed I was ...

Calendargirl Sat 10-Oct-20 11:35:15

Thanks for suggestions for my sandwich cakes mistake. Both sound delicious, but trying to do ‘healthier’ cakes, i.e. without any fillings, but will see how they look.

At least DH and I can have a cake each!

Callistemon Sat 10-Oct-20 11:47:26

"It was a new recipe, dear, if you're not keen I won't make it again"
wink

We could test it for you first, I do like custard tart

Elegran Sat 10-Oct-20 12:02:44

Strawberries are delicious with black pepper grated over, so why not egg custard? Tell him you are experimenting with new flavour combinations.

Blossoming Sat 10-Oct-20 12:06:20

I’m dying to know what it tastes like !

Beechnut Sat 10-Oct-20 12:08:19

Elegran you have brought back a memory of a strawberry and cucumber salad I used to make many moons ago. That was sprinkled with pepper and vinegar.

Daddima Sat 10-Oct-20 12:51:31

Beechnut

Elegran you have brought back a memory of a strawberry and cucumber salad I used to make many moons ago. That was sprinkled with pepper and vinegar.

I remember asking for pepper with strawberries many moons ago. After bringing it, the waiter appeared with the Parmesan cheese!

MamaCaz Sat 10-Oct-20 13:15:46

Callistemon
"It was a new recipe, dear, if you're not keen I won't make it again"

I might try that approach 😁😁😁

MamaCaz Sat 10-Oct-20 19:40:36

UPDATE

Well, it can't have been too bad, because OH ate it without a word, and he's not the kind to keep his thoughts to himself if he didn't like it.
That said, when I then asked if it had tasted ok, and told him what I had done, he said that it didn't taste the same as normal, but that was all he said. I have to agree, it didn't taste exactly like it usually does, but it didn't taste 'odd' or in any way unpleasant either. Just slightly different, because of the pepper.

In fact, I think that the salt might actually have enhanced the flavour, but I will try to stick to my normal recipe next time though grin

Callistemon Sat 10-Oct-20 20:28:48

You're not the only one MamaCaz

I just had a mixer disaster involving a spatula (and nearly a finger!). The mixer was on full speed at the time.
All seemed well after that, meringue safely in the oven, until I went to clear up and saw little black spots on the worktop, which looked and smeared like axle grease.
So meringue Number two is now in the oven.
Along with egg custard made from all those egg yolks!

Dame Mary Berry I am not.

Callistemon Sat 10-Oct-20 20:30:04

I'm glad your egg custard tart was edible!

MamaCaz Sat 10-Oct-20 20:39:15

Yikes - that doesn't sound too good!

Calendargirl Sat 10-Oct-20 21:18:59

DH and I have had some of the sandwich cake, looked a bit dry, but wasn’t.

Went down well, could eat another slice, but being strong.....

Callistemon Sat 10-Oct-20 23:10:09

Pavlova number two is done and will be left in the cooling oven all night which is supposed to stop it cracking. However, it's already cracked but the cream will cover it up!