Gransnet forums

Chat

What would you buy/do?

(184 Posts)
vampirequeen Sat 10-Oct-20 14:12:13

When someone wins a large amount of money on the Lottery, Camelot advises them to take time to get over the shock. They've also discovered that people who have always struggled or been careful with money (which is most of us) find it difficult to spend more than they're used to...almost a sense of guilt. So Camelot advise them to buy themselves something (not gifts for others) that they would never have dreamed of buying in the past. This is to get them used to the idea that they can spend money on themselves and not just on others.

If you won the lottery and followed this advice what would you buy/do? Remember it can't be gifts for others. It has to be for you or you and your partner.

gillyjp Sun 11-Oct-20 18:20:33

I would buy a beautiful villa on a Greek island, with a fantastic sea view and a heated swimming pool which was under cover during the colder months but the roof could retract for the summer months.

sazz1 Sun 11-Oct-20 18:15:55

We were on holiday, in a cafe in Spain, once and got chatting to 4 friendly women. They said their nephew had won 4.5 Million on the lottery and paid for 27 family members to go on Mediterranean cruise. Might do that if I ever won as it sounded like great idea.

BusterTank Sun 11-Oct-20 18:08:40

I would buy my own home in the middle of no where , with no neighbours . Now that what I call bliss .

Spangler Sun 11-Oct-20 17:43:23

Theoddbird Sun 11-Oct-20 11:58:44
A little house next to a river with mooring rights.....
I know just the property, it's on the river Avon, that's the Avon in Hampshire, just on the edge of the New Forest. Look at the first picture:

kentmaid Sun 11-Oct-20 12:11:06
If I can mention DH’s very specific dream - to buy a bungalow backing onto the Romney Hythe & Dymchurch Railway.
Tell him to keep looking, there's a couple that we know who took on a dilapidated station in Hampshire, the second picture shows you how it looks now, the link tells the story.
www.facebook.com/horsebridgestation/

kittylester Sun 11-Oct-20 17:28:43

I am really happy with our lives as they are now but, if someone is twisting my arm,vid have a vast house built on the dunes between Aldebutgh and Thorpeness

DanniRae Sun 11-Oct-20 17:11:02

Loving this thread!

I would buy a bungalow by the the sea with enough land to enable me to rescue dogs and donkeys - my two favourite animals.

f77ms Sun 11-Oct-20 16:44:36

A garden make over! A small apartment by the sea,

Lemontart Sun 11-Oct-20 16:26:50

I would get my teeth straightened again ( had it done in my teens but they have gone crooked again) then have them whitened. They have always been yellow and I hate them.

threexnanny Sun 11-Oct-20 16:24:35

I'd like to buy a piece of land, but not to build on, just to enjoy. Probably be woodland and would need to have lots of beautiful maples, beech and other lovely trees.
I'd also spend some money on private medical care to correct all the 'niggles' which the NHS don't cover for myself and OH.

Tedd1 Sun 11-Oct-20 16:16:20

A good set of teeth!

sazz1 Sun 11-Oct-20 15:55:17

A flat in Paris would be my dream as I have always loved it there. My paternal grandparents were French but I'm not fluent in the language. Have a good understanding of the culture though

trustgone4sure Sun 11-Oct-20 15:21:40

I would have clothes made to measure so my fat bits wouldn`t be seen.
Then i would buy a house overlooking the sea in somerset/cornwall and it would have 5 bedrooms with ensuites a large open plan lounge/diner/kitchen.
It`s good to dream.

Alison333 Sun 11-Oct-20 15:11:32

I would buy a flock of about 30 sheep and some land to keep them on. They would be just for wool now and again and I would keep them until they died of old age. Of course I would also need to employ somebody to do all the dirty work and I expect I would need a sheep dog.....

vampirequeen Sun 11-Oct-20 14:48:57

I've loved reading what you'd all do.

Flakesdayout Sun 11-Oct-20 14:47:34

Ooh nice thread.
Often think about what I would do with a lot of money and the amount of charitable donations I would make and how I would help out my children and friends but if I could not do that and it had to be for myself, I like the idea of a heated swimming pool as I could do with getting fitter. Also I would have a large rescue centre for animals, with Vets on hand and staff to keep the animals in a safe and friendly environment. Ooh I could go on and on dreaming

Candy6 Sun 11-Oct-20 14:45:00

I would buy a house on the river in the small City just up the road from me. It’s my dream x

boodymum67 Sun 11-Oct-20 14:15:00

Saggi

I would buy a bungalow and do away with the awful stair lift defacing my home...hire a gardener once a month or so, never lift another paint brush...maybe learn to drive at 69!.... but a high based car so my husband could actually use it....get my ironing done once a week. Anything left , give to my kids and grandkids.

Hi, I have disabled kit in my home, which I hate looking at too. Hope you get your bungalow xxx

crazygranny Sun 11-Oct-20 14:14:44

Thank you for a lovely kind thought Alexa, but I'm not sure that anything but a sturdy puppy could cope with my 4, soon to be 5 grandsons!

boodymum67 Sun 11-Oct-20 14:13:46

NotTooOld

boodymum - your post has just made me feel shallow and greedy! I really hope your wishes come true. flowers

Thankyou NotTooOld.....it was kind of you to say that. But please let yourself enjoy your fantasy spend too. xxx

gillyknits Sun 11-Oct-20 14:07:37

Bloomin predictive text! Cats not cars. ??

Saggi Sun 11-Oct-20 13:54:37

I would buy a bungalow and do away with the awful stair lift defacing my home...hire a gardener once a month or so, never lift another paint brush...maybe learn to drive at 69!.... but a high based car so my husband could actually use it....get my ironing done once a week. Anything left , give to my kids and grandkids.

Bazza Sun 11-Oct-20 13:38:37

A new top of the range electric car, complete with dishy chauffeur, wearing jodhpurs, long leather boots and a cap. Definitely a top hairdresser, maybe a stylist who could retrieve my interest in what I look like. A holiday villa in Ravello Italy large enough for all my family, oh and a helicopter to get there. A chef to cook delicious meals that would make the weight I’ve put on slip away without me noticing. Most of all a superb surgeon who could sort out the digestive problems I’ve suffered with most of my life. Not too much to ask, surely.

PamelaJ1 Sun 11-Oct-20 13:37:42

gillyknits what do you want to rescue cars for??

gillyknits Sun 11-Oct-20 13:34:08

A cattery for rescue cars and staff to help me run it!

lizzypopbottle Sun 11-Oct-20 13:33:11

Weirdly, I was driving home this morning and passed a plot of land for sale that's fairly central in our village. It used to be a repair shop and car dealership and it provided work for local people. As I drove past, I thought to myself, "If I won the lottery jackpot, I'd buy that site." I would need to buy a lottery ticket first!