Gransnet forums

Chat

What would you buy/do?

(183 Posts)
vampirequeen Sat 10-Oct-20 14:12:13

When someone wins a large amount of money on the Lottery, Camelot advises them to take time to get over the shock. They've also discovered that people who have always struggled or been careful with money (which is most of us) find it difficult to spend more than they're used to...almost a sense of guilt. So Camelot advise them to buy themselves something (not gifts for others) that they would never have dreamed of buying in the past. This is to get them used to the idea that they can spend money on themselves and not just on others.

If you won the lottery and followed this advice what would you buy/do? Remember it can't be gifts for others. It has to be for you or you and your partner.

LauraNorder Sat 10-Oct-20 14:26:00

Funnily enough I was thinking of starting a thread along these lines.
I do often think how nice it would be to send gillybob a pm telling her that I’d like to send her a big fat cheque to allay at least one of her worries. It would be lovely to share the joy with many Grans who are struggling.
On a selfish level I would buy a smaller but perfectly formed house and give my current house to a worthy young family.
I would start up a company as featured on ‘The Braithwaites’ to invest in new businesses and give young entrepreneurs a chance.
Of course I’d ensure a secure future for my family too.

LauraNorder Sat 10-Oct-20 14:27:58

Sorry, missed the point.
My guilty pleasure wold be a couple of weeks at a fat farm to get me in shape for some lovely new outfits.
Second thoughts maybe a couple of months.

hollysteers Sat 10-Oct-20 14:32:10

I would buy a flat in Paris. Such a dream, Parisian life ?

Hetty58 Sat 10-Oct-20 14:32:39

A few horses - the only things I've always wanted but never had!

MerylStreep Sat 10-Oct-20 14:37:08

It all depends how much it was. But I would really like my own private jet.

Jane10 Sat 10-Oct-20 14:39:10

Gosh. I must be very unimaginative or just very lucky as I really can't think of anything I'd like to buy for myself. I would love the challenge of spending the money wisely for the secret benefit of others though. A sort of fairy godmother!

Namsnanny Sat 10-Oct-20 14:40:50

I have enough material things, and upgrading them wouldn't bring much pleasure to me.

I would however book a large country estate for the weekend and invite a number of high (David Attenborough, prof. Love lock Trevor Phillips?)flyers from different backgrounds to dinner and discuss different ways the money could be used.
Plus I'd get the privilege of meeting all the people I like!

Poppyred Sat 10-Oct-20 14:44:04

I would buy land and build a house to my own specifications. There would be a wrap around porch on the two levels like the ones in the southern states of the USA.

Calendargirl Sat 10-Oct-20 14:44:51

Oh, my own private swimming pool!
Would have to buy another property first as there is not enough room in present abode for anything bigger than a paddling pool!

?‍♂️

boodymum67 Sat 10-Oct-20 14:47:56

I was talking to my carer yesterday about this subject....except it was for a huge lottery win...just for around 50k.

I would extend the house we live in to make it better for me as a wheelchair user.

I would extend our bedroom, have a built in a cupboard hoist, so I don't have to see my ceiling hoists constantly, .

Think I`d better win an extra 50k to buy my hubby a motorhome as his is 20 years old and needing replacing.

NotTooOld Sat 10-Oct-20 14:48:12

Ooh, I'd quite like a jet, too, Meryl. I'd need a private airfield and a pilot on standby as well though.

I would get Phil Spencer to find us a small but perfectly formed cottage by the sea, then I'd move in and let Phil sell our current house. When that was done I'd share out the proceeds between the grandchildren.

This is a very nice thread for a rainy Saturday afternoon.

NotTooOld Sat 10-Oct-20 14:50:44

boodymum - your post has just made me feel shallow and greedy! I really hope your wishes come true. flowers

avitorl Sat 10-Oct-20 14:51:46

I would love a very modern single story home with a fabulous sea view with an amazing garden which would be cared for by a talented Gardener.
I would employ a Housekeeper to take care of my home .
I would have a self contained annex so that friends could visit as they wished . Oh happy days.

Oldwoman70 Sat 10-Oct-20 14:52:12

Hire a private jet and visit my family in Australia (I assume the wishes are not subject to covid restrictions!).

grannyrebel7 Sat 10-Oct-20 14:54:20

A ranch in Texas with loads of horses and dogs!

Kate1949 Sat 10-Oct-20 14:55:37

A holiday home by the sea. Oh and made to measure shoes!

Illte Sat 10-Oct-20 14:55:37

Clean, crisp ironed sheets every night!

Stephenmarra Sat 10-Oct-20 14:55:48

I would buy one of the big hotels overlooking Bassenthwaite Lake sort myself some luxury living quarters.
With the rest of it, I would divide up into Artists Studios for up and coming young Artists and have a gallery showcasing the amazing local talent we have in Cumbria.

dragonfly46 Sat 10-Oct-20 14:56:25

I would buy a flat in Holland in the town in which I used to live.

MamaCaz Sat 10-Oct-20 15:01:44

The first thing I would do would be to buy myself a house that was big enough for me to have my mum and both of my sons and their families to visit all at the same time. It would have a lovely garden with a summer house, and a shepherd's hut tucked away in a corner overlooking fields, and maybe even an indoor swimming pool.

Then I would try to get my teeth straightened!

Ladyleftfieldlover Sat 10-Oct-20 15:04:23

A new car, possibly a bright yellow Morgan. I love driving.
A house in central London with a swimming pool.
A house in the country with a swimming pool.
A permanent suite at Claridges - or maybe suites for all my family!

Obviously I would have to win several rolled over Euromillions!

MamaCaz Sat 10-Oct-20 15:17:32

Once I had my house, I would get a nice car, but I absolutely hate driving so I would employ someone to drive me wherever I wanted or needed to go in it.

I have said to the family in the past that I would love to explore the many small, remote villages of interior Spain, so that would definitely be on the cards once I had the chauffeur.

Illte Sat 10-Oct-20 15:24:51

Jeans and trousers made to fit!
I'm a pear?

fevertree Sat 10-Oct-20 15:26:40

Stephenmarra I'm liking the artist's studio idea! smile

I would buy a house with 7 bedrooms, each one with an ensuite bath or shower room, and a large garden with a river running through it.

Then I'd employ a cleaner and a gardener.