Chat

R.I.P. Yorkshire Pud.!

(53 Posts)
Rufus2 Tue 13-Oct-20 12:57:13

As a life-long Lancastrian ticket holder I thought this clever! {grin}

Yorkshire Pudding
(Courtesy “The Oldie” Mag)
. (Oliver Pritchett)

Isn’t time we waved Ta-Ra to the Yorkshire pudding?
Can’t we just agree that this batter concoction is simply toad-in-the-hole that has been deprived of its rightful sausage? Originally it was an aid to economising, served as a first course with gravy, to fill people up so they weren’t so hungry for the pricey meat that followed.
This echo of hard times up North does not really fit in these days with the comfortable setting of a middle-class Sunday lunch.
There is, of course, a great mystique about the precise recipe for the batter, a game of one-upmanship and an argument about whose Yorkshire pudding was more authentic.
I admit it can be fun to pour gravy into the sunken crater in the middle-but we must act our age and put away childish things like this.
The Yorkshire pudding has turned into a showpiece. How high can you make it rise? It must stand proud on the plate, a unique combination of the brittle and the soggy. (In fact it probably came from the supermarket freezer rather than from a recipe handed down through generations of Cleckheaton grannies.)
Worst of all, this dish has been taken hostage by the purveyors of the “traditional Sunday roast”. Pubs dish up monstrous , teetering towers of roasted batter, like stunted Pisas. The two veg, the sickly potatoes and the meat cower at their base. It dominates! - It comes with everything - beef, lamb, pork and chicken. The whole of Yorkshire must surely wince.
The pub landlord knows that it is, at least, fulfilling its function of dulling the appetite, deceiving us customers into feeling satisfied. So it’s good for profits. As they say, back at the brewery, where there’s batter, there’s brass!

Rufus2 Wed 21-Oct-20 10:20:34

I was starting to feel a part of GN when up pops a reminder that I don’t belong
Blossoming Welcome! smile
I've a feeling I've upset you, but whatever it is it was inadvertent.
Of course you belong! We all belong, each of us being a part, albeit in our own individual way, of the whole, namely Gransnet!
You must agree that life would be pretty dull if we all spoke and acted the same way! sad
For example, I saw what I thought (as a Mancunian!) to be a funny article on Yorkshire Puds, so I'm the OP, for what it's worth, intending for it to be humorous, tongue-in-cheek etc. hmm
Some posters hve chosen to be serious about Pud recipes, which they're entitled to do of course, although they could open another thread for that!
I hope I've misunderstood your post and therefore waffling on for nothing, but just in case, I'll plagiarise Nat King Cole and "From the bottom of my heart, I apologise etc!)

Perhaps it could be the start of a blossoming friendship!? wink
Good Health
OoRoo

BlueSky Tue 20-Oct-20 17:56:30

Rufus no Australia’s success in containing the ‘second wave’ will help us believing that we too will succeed. We’ve seen it in Europe in March, desperate figures everywhere, then back to more normal life. Now same again, but one country’s success is hope and inspiration for others. So do get those letters out of mothballs! Cheers! wine wine

Blossoming Tue 20-Oct-20 17:08:55

Thanks Rufus2

I was starting to feel a part of GN when up pops a reminder that I don’t belong.

hugshelp Tue 20-Oct-20 16:31:55

haven't kept a photo but they are as big or bigger than my normal ones used to be and my recipe is:
2/3 cup cornflour
2/3 cup gram flour
4 med eggs
4 fl oz milk (I use almond milk as I'm lacto intolerant too)
salt, pepper, and a dash of water if it looks a bit thick

that makes 8 in those medium tins that fit four puds in and I cook them in a good hot oven @220 - and make sure tins and fat are really hot

ExD Tue 20-Oct-20 14:05:46

Did you use cornflour hugshelp? I found it made a fairly decent pud. Have you any photos and tips for other coeliacs?

hugshelp Tue 20-Oct-20 13:49:09

As a Yorkshire lass I was gutted when I became gluten intolerant and several carveries told me making decent gluten free Yorkshires was impossible. Well it took a lot of experimenting but my gf Yorkshires are now a thing of towering beauty and taste bloomin grand. It just had to be done.

ExD Tue 20-Oct-20 11:52:14

Will this do?
From Cumbria though ....... we have them every Sunday, even with Chicken. I think the family would welcome them with the Christmas turkey too.

Rufus2 Tue 20-Oct-20 11:44:29

many are ‘riding the waves’
Megs At least you don't have to contend with sharks1 We've had several shark-related deaths lately and I can't imagine a more frightening way to go especially when looking at the "bite-size" chunks they can take out of a surfboard.
Correction! A crocodile attack would be more frightening, although I believe they operate differently by dragging you under, so you may have drowned before finishing up inside
it! shock
Now what's this got to do with Aberdonian Yorkshire pud!
How frightening! grin Enjoy lunch!
Good Health
OoRoo

Blossoming Tue 20-Oct-20 10:33:39

Happy memories of slabs of Yorkshire pud made in the roasting tin after the beef has cooked and some juice taken out for the gravy. My mother was an Aberdonian and her pud was the best!

Megs36 Tue 20-Oct-20 10:26:06

Yes Rufus things are pretty dire in some places but many are ‘riding the waves’ and still carrying on OK.
Thanks for your thoughts and as you will have seen your messages are missed ???????

Rufus2 Mon 19-Oct-20 12:42:33

Rufus what happened to your ‘Letter from Australia
BlueSky Mothballed! In view of the very sad reports relayed by our various media reporters based in the UK which record that your current Corona surge is almost out of control, I feel uncomfortable with the feeling that it was becoming intrusive, condidering that our VIC. situation has been steadily improving with the number of daily "new cases " now down to single figures', thanks to very strict controls which have been largely observed, apart from the usual Covidiots.!
We recall that when you had a couple of warm days back in the Summer, people rushed to the sea-side and parks, paying scant regard for social distancing and face masks.
Without wishing to appear smug, it seems like it's payback time! sad
You might be interested in the following extract taken from our week-end newspaper;
"The problem is that the global pandemic changes the narrative of urban life, it erodes the idea of density, the bedrock upon which the creative class is based. Even if a vaccine emerges soon, the threat of another contagion will gnaw away at the back of people's minds. Close-seated cafes, lifts, the cosmopolitan jumble of inner-city life -- all are now regarded as a liability, as a threat!"

Sorry for that, but I thought they are wise words! hmm
Blimey! You might be sending me more bags of mothballs! grin
Good Health wine wine wine
OoRoo

BlueSky Sat 17-Oct-20 17:08:04

Rufus what happened to your ‘Letter from Australia ?? ‘? wine

Rufus2 Sat 17-Oct-20 11:39:39

Welsh Rabbit Soup (courtesy of Dr. Google)

"*This classic combination of melted cheese and toasted bread is also called Welsh rarebit — an attempt to dignify the original (and slightly silly) name. For best visual appeal, use an aged yellow Cheddar for the sauce."

Lucca You're right, of course! Looks like I'm still back in the "Silly Rabbit" era!
Not being a cook I think I'll avoid both! grin
Good Health wine
OoRoo

PECS Fri 16-Oct-20 18:47:52

So Yorshire puds for tonight's meal?

trisher Fri 16-Oct-20 18:47:51

Sorry Luckylegsyou are right about Peter Kay and Jason Manford (Scarborough confused me) but Bob Mortimer is Middlesbrough, Vic Reeves is Leeds, Lucy Beaumont is Hull
I'll go for Rosie Jones as well- one of the few comedians with a disability (but you can counter with Chris Mc Causland)

Lucca Fri 16-Oct-20 17:05:59

Rufus2

Btw; I'm asking Oliver to do eulogies on the "Cornish Pastie", which has even emigrated to OZ and also "Welsh Rabbit"! shock
Now there's a challenge!
OoRoo

Rarebit

Luckylegs Fri 16-Oct-20 17:05:30

trisher I don’t think you’re right. Peter Kay is Bolton (Lancashire) born and bred, Jason Manford is from Salford (Lancashire), Bob Mortimer is from the north east, Northumberland I imagine. Don’t know about Vic Reeves and Lucy Beaumont, possibly Yorkshire.

PECS Fri 16-Oct-20 16:54:13

Oh! Now I am feeling the need for a Yorkshire pud! Rather than getting rid it has made me crave one!

trisher Fri 16-Oct-20 14:39:46

It's a 2-way street ; that's why so many world famous comedians call Lancs home!
Eh now lad, Thees goritall wrong theer!
Peter Kay
Reeves and Mortimer
Charlie Williams
Jason Manford
Lucy Beamont. All from Yorkshire and there are lots more

Rufus2 Fri 16-Oct-20 13:52:43

Btw; I'm asking Oliver to do eulogies on the "Cornish Pastie", which has even emigrated to OZ and also "Welsh Rabbit"! shock
Now there's a challenge!
OoRoo

Rufus2 Fri 16-Oct-20 13:42:07

Has anybody mentioned “the only good thing to come out of Lancashire is t’road to Yorkshire ?
Lucca No! Because on GN we speak the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. So help me...! grin
It's a 2-way street ; that's why so many world famous comedians call Lancs home!
OoRoo

Greyduster Thu 15-Oct-20 18:28:14

My mother cooked for years on a Yorkshire range, and the oven was heated by the coal fire. No thermostat in those days. The Sunday roast was cooked in this oven (rib of beef! Be still, my beating heart!), then shortly before it was ready, the meat juices were poured off and the Yorkshire pudding was cooked in the meat fat in the same tin, with the meat sitting on a rack above it so that the remaining juices could drip down. It was deep, crisp and beyond delicious! When the fire oven finally gave up the ghost, my mother had a gas oven the puddings were never the same again.

GrandmaMoira Thu 15-Oct-20 18:16:16

Coolgran - they are not easy to make. I'm good at cooking most things but these are quite hit and miss and never as good as I've seen elsewhere. Nowadays I only have ready made.

Re the Yorkshire and Lancashire argument, my London in-laws always call them batter puddings, never Yorkshire. My Lancashire DM was a brilliant cook but not good at these and rarely made them. My Yorkshire SIL is also a good cook but I don't like the way she does hers.

lemongrove Wed 14-Oct-20 20:10:11

That’s your opinion LadyH ?.....but maybe Lancastrians know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

The white rose rules!

Although I do like a buttered Chorley cake ( so you’re not all bad t’other side of Pennines.)Your fish and chips are inferior,
Obviously.

Callistemon Wed 14-Oct-20 19:12:36

I like Dorset tea (not widely available).