Gransnet forums

Chat

Is it just me........

(71 Posts)
Katek Sat 17-Oct-20 08:55:04

......or are these Xmas decorations several shades of wrong?

PipandFinn Sat 17-Oct-20 10:51:08

Awful but there's a lot of people out there with bad taste....confused

nipsmum Sat 17-Oct-20 10:51:18

If people don't buy them, no one will have to look at them. They are horrid.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 17-Oct-20 10:51:29

They're horrible. If any profits go towards helping to combat the virus, fair enough - but as a money making enterprise- no, no, no.

mumofmadboys Sat 17-Oct-20 10:55:04

Horrendous taste

Pippa22 Sat 17-Oct-20 10:55:14

Lin663, I love the reference to folding money. It reminds me of a vicar in the 60’s who said there would be a silent collection.

GreenGran78 Sat 17-Oct-20 11:00:34

I saw hand-made wooden tree ornaments advertised recently. They are inscribed “2020. The year we stayed at home”
Attractively made, and I’m sure that many people will buy them as a souvenir - hoping, no doubt, that there won’t be a similar one for 2021.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 17-Oct-20 11:11:00

Will someone please explain, why you are offended by this?

It isn't Chrismassy, but it sounds to me as if you all find it offensive or obscene, and I just do not get why,

Take pity on my dimness and explain.

LauraNorder Sat 17-Oct-20 11:18:20

Seriously Grandtante?
Would you hang a representation of a tumour or a blood clot on your Christmas tree?

Frankie51 Sat 17-Oct-20 11:19:53

I do understand that black or "gallows" humour helps some people through bad situations. I used to work on mental health wards and believe me a dark sense of humour really helps to keep you from burn out. A lot of medical staff get through stress this way, as Im sure other professions do. I find these in poor taste, but if it helps some people cope with the pandemic I don't think they should be banned.

leeds22 Sat 17-Oct-20 11:29:50

Another treat from China?

Katek Sat 17-Oct-20 11:32:03

I’m not suggesting they’re banned. but I’m sure the families and friends of those who have died won’t appreciate the ‘gallows humour.’ I know, we are such a family.

coastiepostie Sat 17-Oct-20 11:33:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Purplepixie Sat 17-Oct-20 11:36:18

That is just plain horrible!

jocork Sat 17-Oct-20 11:43:19

I do see the humour in the santa with a mask, though I wouldn't buy one myself, but the representations of the virus are not attractive in any way at all. Clearly bad taste is more common than common sense. Let's just hope no-one makes money out of these.

pengwen Sat 17-Oct-20 12:13:08

Don't like them at all!
People who have family or friends do not need a reminder.

LadyHonoriaDedlock Sat 17-Oct-20 12:22:48

Quite amusing if you have a dark sense of humour. You don't -have- to have one!

Oopsminty Sat 17-Oct-20 12:23:43

I'm not upset at all by these!

I feel like I must be a dreadful person

Years from now our decorations will have passed on from us to children/grandchildren.

This is a reminder of 2020. A year that hopefully will be forgotten sooner rather than later and just a talking point, an historical event for future generations to chat about.

I have some of my grandparent's decorations. One of which was made by my Grandma during WW2. She would tell us the story of how she came to make it with her friends.

I lost a sister in law due to the virus but that doesn't stop me from raising a smile at a masked Santa.

In fact I think I'll buy one.

PollyDolly Sat 17-Oct-20 12:35:50

It's offensive and distateful! It certainly wouldn't get house room here! Who would want to hang something like a cancerous tumour or a blood clot, both killers, on their tree? Think of those people who lost their lives to Covid and their loved ones having to cope without them!

For those of you who see no problem with it, would you hang a traditional looking toy soldier with a prosthetic leg on your Christmas tree?

LauraNorder Sat 17-Oct-20 12:38:10

No problem with the masked Father Christmas, an amusing reminder of how we should behave at the moment, I wouldn’t buy one but wouldn’t judge if it floats your boat.
I most certainly find the idea of hanging a representation of a deadly virus on my tree quite horrible.
I do appreciate dark humour but fail to see humour here.
All entitled to our views I suppose.

Oopsminty Sat 17-Oct-20 12:43:29

PollyDolly

It's offensive and distateful! It certainly wouldn't get house room here! Who would want to hang something like a cancerous tumour or a blood clot, both killers, on their tree? Think of those people who lost their lives to Covid and their loved ones having to cope without them!

For those of you who see no problem with it, would you hang a traditional looking toy soldier with a prosthetic leg on your Christmas tree?

The soldier is hardly comparable!

As I've mentioned I have lost a family member to this virus

And my son and niece both working for the NHS

My son was gifted a soft toy of a cancerous cell when he was doing his PhD.

It became his lucky mascot

I'm sure most of you will be horrified by that!

GoldenAge Sat 17-Oct-20 12:47:22

The ugly face of capitalism - the cause of this virus - pillaging of the planet, maltreating animal species - and now even more attempts to feed the consumer society. I suppose the only tiny saving grace is that as few of us will be able to visit anybody else's homes over Christmas we won't have to see these items having on trees.

Alioop Sat 17-Oct-20 13:03:27

Oh dear. Won't be on my Christmas tree....

Growing0ldDisgracefully Sat 17-Oct-20 13:10:28

Vile, and the santa in the facemask. Who on earth will want a reminder in future Christmases of what a horrible year (and possibly Christmas) this year was. I get gallows humour, but those aren't humourus at all. They just taint and degrade Christmas.

travelsafar Sat 17-Oct-20 13:15:52

I have just returned from shopping in our little town and a food market is taking place. Only about a dozen stalls selling local grown and homemade pie and sausages. One of the stalls is selling masks at 4.50 each . Not a bad price as they are attractive and re usable. But it just shows how people jump on the 'band wagon' selling things to make money which they wouldn't normally sell.

MibsXX Sat 17-Oct-20 13:55:32

travelsafar

I have just returned from shopping in our little town and a food market is taking place. Only about a dozen stalls selling local grown and homemade pie and sausages. One of the stalls is selling masks at 4.50 each . Not a bad price as they are attractive and re usable. But it just shows how people jump on the 'band wagon' selling things to make money which they wouldn't normally sell.

I am sorry, but I find this more than a little bit unfair of you, those stalls have lost so much income and opportunity to sell this year so far, how on earth do you expect them to be able to afford to continue running your quaint little food stall experience if they are unable to pay the costs of running the stall, let alone bringing in an income for their family? I bet those masks were hand made at home as well! They are not jumping on any band wagon, just adjusting their wares to suit the current market IMO