Gransnet forums

Chat

Is it just me........

(71 Posts)
Katek Sat 17-Oct-20 08:55:04

......or are these Xmas decorations several shades of wrong?

MibsXX Sat 17-Oct-20 13:57:18

OOps forgot the main topic,, i agree, those ornaments are a bit ewk, i wouldnt personally have them but my oh just burst out laughing a them so...if they help some folks cope through a bit of humour, harmless enough albeit a tad tacky!

LauraNorder Sat 17-Oct-20 14:08:54

MibsXX, just told Mr Norder whilst clutching my pearls, he laughed too. Won’t make me buy them though.
Agree with you about market forces, these small business must adapt or go under and we should support them.

olliebeak Sat 17-Oct-20 15:28:14

Personally, there's many Christmas Decorations that I can't stand and would never d-r-e-a-m of having in my home - but I have to accept that 'some people' like them .................. that's their choice. Despite their popularity - I can't abide purple or pink as a Christmas decoration, though some adore it.

Thankfully, I'm not in a position where somebody would be able to 'force me' to look at them for 2 or 3 weeks of my life wink.

I'll stick to my gold/silver with 'natural elements' in my porch, as you come inside from the garden grin.

rafichagran Sat 17-Oct-20 15:31:45

I am very sorry for people who have lost loved one's to this virus.
I find the decorations just gallows humour, and cannot get het up about it. I know people who work in A@E and they engage in gallows humour, an ex of mine who was a fire fighter saw some shocking things and he and his colleagues indulged in banter that to some would be distasteful.
Also when has Christmas been about good taste, I love a very minimal home , tasteful rugs and furniture, however at Christmas I have a real tree with loads of decorations, the tree is lovely but I dont worry if it is tasteful, its Christmas and time for fun, and we all need that at the moment.
It's a matter for the consumers whether they buy it or not.

Oopsminty Sat 17-Oct-20 15:35:11

Most of our trees are a riot of tackiness and how I love them.

I can appreciate people making trees tasteful and that's lovely if that's what you want

But my trees are filled with ornaments dating back from relatives over the last 100 years

Our main fairy looks like she's had an extremely rough night on the tiles. She was my mother's so is at least 80. She's got a porcelain head with torn wings and her hair is rather Trump-esque

We have the most frightful decorations that I made at school and these have been joined by my children's and grandchildren's efforts

And it all looks lovely!

rafichagran Sat 17-Oct-20 15:53:11

Trumpesque decorations, now that is bad taste. ?

LauraNorder Sat 17-Oct-20 16:16:12

I think we all have lots of not so tasteful, fun decorations of all colours, made by children and grandchildren or given by friends which we love.
I think the question was more about the subject of these particular items being distasteful rather than not tasteful.

NannyC2 Sat 17-Oct-20 16:16:59

Horrible!

JennyCee Sat 17-Oct-20 16:44:01

It’s covid isn’t it?

jerseygirl Sat 17-Oct-20 18:46:29

These are awful!! we dont need reminding, They are in such bad taste

polnan Sat 17-Oct-20 19:07:38

I don`t find them offensive or anything like that.

I just think, well that is part of the problem,, Christmas? what exactly is Christmas about?

Kryptonite Sat 17-Oct-20 21:10:51

Perhaps they're meant for Halloween, the celebration of evil and death. Still tasteless.

Jayt Sat 17-Oct-20 21:20:50

Typical of the kind of sickos that bring down the tone of everything

mistymitts Sun 18-Oct-20 01:28:39

Maybe if all the proceeds went to NHS....otherwise just tacky and very bad taste.

Tillybelle Mon 19-Oct-20 13:54:48

Of course it is bad taste. But then some people are pulling the strings and playing around with us anyway. We have this representative image or SARS-CoV-2 but nobody actually knows what the virus looks like. Just as a PCR rarely gets anything from a person that is to do with the said virus, but can easily mimic its components.

mistymitts Sun 25-Oct-20 07:16:07

My market has stalls full of masks and visors. It's the way of the world, people adapt to what's wanted at the time. No point selling Easter decorations in November.

Katek Sun 25-Oct-20 08:16:28

They do know what the virus looks like ..... that’s why it’s called corona

Elegran Sun 25-Oct-20 08:39:35

Of course it is known what the virus looks like. Here are actual microscope photos of it, published by NIAID-RML online on February 13, 2020. The colouring is staining to define the different structures. Later cartoon versions are based on microsope views like these.

www.niaid.nih.gov/news-events/novel-coronavirus-sarscov2-images

Elegran Sun 25-Oct-20 08:41:22

The Christmas bauble is pretty accurate - not very pretty or tasteful though. In a hundred years time they will probably be family heirlooms. Dreadful thought.

petra Sun 25-Oct-20 08:57:01

MibsXX
I'm assuming that your lucky enough not to have to get up on a cold/wet/windy morning to set up a stall and try and make a living?
Unless you made your own mask I assume you bought it somewhere?