Gransnet forums

Chat

Anyone planning outside exercise today?

(151 Posts)
Riverwalk Mon 19-Oct-20 07:49:34

Well it's a miserable Monday weather-wise in London - very grey and gloomy but dry.

So I'm getting me togs on and heading up river!

Iam64 Tue 03-Nov-20 16:36:41

Only just seen this jolly thread. I'm out every morning with that spaniel. We are in the north west where it doesn't seem to have stopped raining for several weeks. We went round the block this morning, lovely and sunny when we left, sheeting down ten minutes later.
This afternoon we drove to the park and the dog had a good sniff around. I wore wellies because its so horribly wet.
So two good towelling downs for the dog. I long to get into the garden and do some tidying. I'm glad I have the dog, otherwise I fear I'd just snuggle up on the sofa till the spring.

craftyone Tue 03-Nov-20 16:42:12

exercising indoors just does not cut it but I have been busy pumping my bike tyres, ready for the next decent day, which could well be tomorrow grin. Its got to be the bike with the (almost) 100% puncture proof tyres, the lanes are manky

Riverwalk Wed 04-Nov-20 07:49:38

Blimey it's cold out there, 3C but sunny sunshine

Not that I've been out yet - letting my big breakfast go down first. Aiming for 90 minutes brisk walking.

Iam64 Wed 04-Nov-20 08:07:34

It's a vey misty day here but the sun is trying to peep through. Very very cold. It will the be thermals for the dog walk.

Lucca Wed 04-Nov-20 08:31:08

Last game of tennis tonight if I can brave the cold. Seems a bit illogical that not even members of the same household will be allowed to play golf or tennis outdoors and not entering clubhouse and yet personal training can go on ? What’s wrong with say my brother snd wife having a healthy round of golf ?
Or family friends with two children booking a court for tennis?

Lucca Wed 04-Nov-20 08:32:04

Yet apparently you’ll be able to text an order for a pint to drink outside

PamelaJ1 Wed 04-Nov-20 08:49:38

I had my last game of tennis on Monday.
Work, work, work today then a month of nothing ?

Nana3 Wed 04-Nov-20 08:57:41

Our walking netball coach cancelled today's session and it would have been our last for a month.
She couldn't help it though. Will have a walk instead.

Lavazza1st Wed 04-Nov-20 09:04:06

Going on dog walks x3 and will do exercises in the garden too as I need all the daylight I can get. For this reason I have also been known to work from home in the garden wearing a coat and scarf.... ;)

Im really dissappointed we can't swim as we use a wonderful pool owned by friends of friends and its great (non load bearing) exercise. I have a lot of pain, so can't "just" go for a run.

MissChateline Wed 04-Nov-20 09:16:45

Lovely crisp and clear day here in West Yorkshire. Just returned from my morning stomp through the woods and after lunch my longer walk on the moors. The weather has to be dreadful for me not to get my 10 miles in every day. Hiking has kept me sane through the past few months.

Jaffacake2 Wed 04-Nov-20 10:28:05

Going to try 3 mile walk to see alpacas and goats at nearby farm. Slightly numb foot but ataxia has lessened so feeling positive .

Cabbie21 Wed 04-Nov-20 11:10:34

Just back from a local walk round the streets, in lovely sunshine. So many beautiful autumn colours, especially the hedgerows and trees by the side of the road. It takes a huge mental effort go get me out but today it was lovely. I have three circuits of 10, 15 and 20 minutes which I can enjoy safely.

glammanana Wed 04-Nov-20 11:19:12

Liz46

We'll take ourselves off to New Brighton (opposite Liverpool on The Mersey) for a walk along the prom. The sea air is good and there is always something to watch on the river.

Liz46 I may pass you down there as its where I take my Poppy for her walk its just 5mins from where we live always good for people watching isn't it.

maddyone Wed 04-Nov-20 11:25:31

We are in the north west where it doesn’t seem to have stopped raining for several weeks.

Last night I saw on the news that we’ve just had the wettest October since 18 something, I can’t remember the exact date. Anyway, it was a long time. Let’s hope November will be better.

Riverwalk Wed 04-Nov-20 11:38:47

I did two hours in the wonderful sunshine sunshine. Such a beautiful day - felt quite warm as there was no wind.

Next up my dance class via Zoom - better tidy up the bits of my sitting room that show!

Iam64 Wed 04-Nov-20 12:11:24

Fabulous hour and a half, the sun came out and I was so warm, the coat came off. Fabulous

Riverwalk Mon 09-Nov-20 08:46:15

I'm still slobbing around in my fleecy robe and coaxing myself to put on my walking attire and go out. Some days are harder than others!

Hetty58 Mon 09-Nov-20 08:55:45

I always go out, two or three times, every single day. Largely, it's driven by a high energy dog, but the benefits are obvious.

I feel much brighter and awake by the time I'm half way down the road. The fields, river bank and woods are always beautiful, whatever the weather.

Aches and pains disappear, spirits lift, energy is boosted and a calm, positive mental outlook is encouraged. It's just essential for me, so I'd only stay indoors if I were really ill. I can't remember the last time I was - decades ago. (I had a back injury in 2017 - that was tough.)

travelsafar Mon 09-Nov-20 09:03:09

I am thinking about it, the sky has a few patches of blue which are tempting me. Yesterday i had a lazy day so feel that i must be more active today plus i have a letter to post.

V3ra Mon 09-Nov-20 09:07:30

Gardening here today, carrying on from the weekend!
Mild, damp but no wind. Perfect weather ?

Hetty58 Mon 09-Nov-20 09:12:12

V3ra, I did lots of gardening yesterday (and got incredibly muddy too) and felt a great sense of progress and achievement.

It's a shame I can't find any enthusiasm, at the moment, for the much needed housework and DIY!

LadyGracie Mon 09-Nov-20 09:21:20

Lockdown over here in Wales, I'm going to visit a furniture shop.

Riverwalk Mon 09-Nov-20 11:44:28

I did a 90-minute walk - it was mild and the sun came out so all very pleasant sunshine

Later I have to go to M&S, 30 minute round trip - unless I buy too much and have to get the bus back!

TerriBull Mon 09-Nov-20 12:30:56

Just walked into our local town and then alongside the River Thames, it's positively balmy here in the south east today, as it was on Saturday when we took the grandchildren for a 2 hour ramble in Bushy Park. Too hot for a coat unlike last week when there was a definite chill in the air.

Lavazza1st Mon 09-Nov-20 13:03:26

Last night I was knocked over in the dark by a large dog that ran at me. I have bruised all down my left side and it's raining a lot... I'm scared of vicious dogs not on leads because my little dog was attacked by one as we walked past someone's house once.

Somehow I need to overcome this for my dog's sake to exercise her today, despite the rain. If anyone can offer any words of wisdom, please do.