Gransnet forums

Chat

Foreign words that don't have direct translation into English

(60 Posts)
vampirequeen Mon 19-Oct-20 11:01:21

"Frum"

The other day I was talking to a friend about my upbringing and how it has left me with some (now odd/old fashioned) views about men and women. For example I still hide my sts in the back of my knicker drawer and I was horrified the other day when DH put some blood stained towels in the washing machine. She found it really funny but in an 'adorable' (her word) way. She said I was "frum" which in Yiddish technically means pious but is more about people like me who behave in slightly embarrassed ways about things that are perfectly normal.

Do you know any other words that have no single word equivalent?

Marydoll Mon 19-Oct-20 15:56:17

It does have an entry in the Scot's Language dictionary.
It's roots are actually, Germanic I think. So it's a foreign word. grin

felice Mon 19-Oct-20 15:58:47

Marydoll, all over Scotland, 'am fair scunnered the day' fits just perfectly.

grandMattie Mon 19-Oct-20 16:04:05

There is no English equivalent to the French "^sympathique^".

Doodledog Mon 19-Oct-20 20:11:00

There are some lovely ones here smile

kittylester Mon 19-Oct-20 20:21:13

Vampire, I am 'frum' the East Midlands as are a few other people on the forum.

Wheniwasyourage Tue 20-Oct-20 11:03:10

There is no equivalent to the French word 'chez', which is useful, as is your suggestion of 'sympathique', grandMattie

vampirequeen Tue 20-Oct-20 15:39:54

grin kittylester

MawB2 Tue 20-Oct-20 15:55:13

Have we had “wabbit “ (to rhyme with rabbit)?
It means a bit fragile, pale, peely wally even, lacking in energy when your get up and go, got up and went.

LadyHonoriaDedlock Tue 20-Oct-20 15:59:17

Lucca

Marydoll

There is a Scottish word scunnered, which doesn't quite translate into English. It however, sums up a feeling of being extremely fed up. In fact it describes my mood very accurately today.

Is that because it’s a dreech day ? Ex Is Scottish and I picked up some useful words from him like describing someone as “fushionless “

'Dreich' is a great wee word. It's very useful in England as well as being perfectly descriptive of a Glasgow day like yesterday. At least Glasgow gets straight to the point.

Brahumbug Wed 21-Oct-20 21:04:35

"Schadenfreude - pleasure in someone else’s misfortune."

Actually, we have a perfectly good English word for that. Epicaricacy.

Witzend Thu 22-Oct-20 09:49:00

Having never heard of it, I just looked that up in my colossal fat Oxford dictionary, @Brahumbug - it’s not there! Nowt between epicardium and epicedium.

Anyway, Schadenfreude rolls off the tongue much better, and to me it does sound much more like wot it means.

Brahumbug Thu 22-Oct-20 16:58:13

Epicaricacy flows much better and is a good English word, better than a german one grin

Brahumbug Thu 22-Oct-20 16:58:41

I think you need a new dictionary grin

dreank Tue 26-Jul-22 12:14:26

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Mamie Tue 26-Jul-22 12:20:21

I would say that chez (moi, toi etc) is translated by "home" in English.

JackyB Tue 26-Jul-22 12:32:51

Callistemon

Hiraeth which is a Welsh word that means more than just a longing or homesickness.

That would be like "saudade" in Portuguese.

A couple of words in everyday use in German for which, despite speaking the language for 40;years now, I still haven't found something similar in English:

Stulpen - to turn something inside out (like a sock) or to pull something over something (best example I can think of is a condom, sorry)

Feierabend - the free time after work, or the time you knock off work.

Fernweh - the urge to go on travels, just to get away and see foreign lands - as far away as possible.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 26-Jul-22 12:41:46

Another guid Scots word is "fantouche" meaning something that is very fancy and making itself out to be more than it is.

The Spanish "exigente" doesn't translate well into any other language - you need both insistent, demanding and a right pain in the neck to convey its meaning in English.

Callistemon21 Tue 26-Jul-22 12:46:27

Cwtch which means so much more than a hug or a cuddle - it encompasses cosiness, warmth and a feeling of safety too.

Callistemon21 Tue 26-Jul-22 12:52:18

Oops, an old thread (but a nice one smile)

ExDancer Tue 26-Jul-22 13:02:56

There's a Cumbria word 'scrow' meaning an untidy mess. (pronounced 'ow' as in how).
I once walked into the staff room at the school I worked in at that time, and said "What a score" (because it was in a real mess with papers and books and dirty teacups everywhere) and no-one knew what on earth I meant.

ExDancer Tue 26-Jul-22 13:04:58

Blast auto-correct
What I said was "what a scow" nor "score"

ExDancer Tue 26-Jul-22 13:05:55

-even thats wrong! SCROW

Fiona44 Tue 26-Jul-22 14:30:37

What an interesting thread. I'm originally a Scot, now Italian. I wash the towels and hang them out, when there is a drooth in it, dry, abive all a breeze, just right for drying laundry. I'm fair scunnert when, unexpectedly, there is a bomba d'acqua, literally a water bomb, a downpour. I love language!

JackyB Tue 26-Jul-22 15:07:28

Gosh, normally I'm the first to notice it's an old thread that has been revived by someone trying to sell something, but I just jumped right in here. Never mind, the subject certainly wasn't exhausted at the time, there's plenty more to say.

sandelf Tue 26-Jul-22 15:20:35

Not quite a foreign language - all one word Oharey - Scouse elision Oh, Ah, Hey - translates as - Oh, I say, you can't do that here, or How unfair - tone and context tell you which.