Gransnet forums

Chat

Wouldn’t be seen dead in

(248 Posts)
Lucca Tue 20-Oct-20 09:59:33

Watching repeats of the great British sewing bee(even though I don’t sew). They made a blouse with a pussy bow tie. I realised I’d never ever wear one. What would you never wear ?

Spangler Sun 25-Oct-20 10:48:09

There's a pop up advertising a ladies shirt/blouse with a Halloween theme. It looks crumpled, possible deliberately, maybe it's linen. Saying that I don't like it will put me out on a limb. Reason being, I have a Halloween shirt that my wife made for me. It depicts sexy witches and it's certainly not everyone's cup of tea. But at least my shirt looks like it's been well made.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 25-Oct-20 07:28:35

Those dreadful fleeces with howling wolves have had a few mentions. I'm trying to imagine someone very glamorous like Sophia Loren in one - and I just can't as it conjures up such an odd image.

Spangler Sat 24-Oct-20 19:30:53

Lucca, I'm flattered, thank you.

Lucca Sat 24-Oct-20 19:21:27

Spangler

Lucca Wed 21-Oct-20 09:44:10
Lovely photo Spangler.

| QuoteLavazza1st Wed 21-Oct-20 10:02:50
Lovely photo Spangler, very cool!

Thank you for those kind comments. Much appreciated.

Lucca Wed 21-Oct-20 21:24:45
Mollyplop. My son and a friend do similar with men’s shoes they consider to be hideous !
I wonder what they would make of the shoes that I posted previously?

Your shoes are fine as you wear them with the correct trousers.

Grannytwo Thu 22-Oct-20 15:21:05

Agreed

Anniezee Thu 22-Oct-20 13:39:12

Yes, I had to do a double take to believe it. Who is advising her? Lots of presenters (especially the local weather girls) need fashion advice!

Sewpolly Thu 22-Oct-20 13:25:16

Anything off the shoulder, including cold shoulder tops
Handkerchief hemlines
And crop tops. I was going to say 'of course' but then realised some grandmothers are actually very young!

Notinthemanual Thu 22-Oct-20 04:06:12

I wear my crocs on the beach to save my feet from the hot sand and the stones in the sea. I swim in them. In my bikini.

That's an image that will stay with you!

Spangler Wed 21-Oct-20 23:27:40

Lucca Wed 21-Oct-20 09:44:10
Lovely photo Spangler.

| QuoteLavazza1st Wed 21-Oct-20 10:02:50
Lovely photo Spangler, very cool!

Thank you for those kind comments. Much appreciated.

Mollyplop. My son and a friend do similar with men’s shoes they consider to be hideous !
I wonder what they would make of the shoes that I posted previously?

Rosiebee Wed 21-Oct-20 23:08:45

Any nightwear worn downstairs during day. Night, says it all!
Polyester-sweaty fabric
Anything that is close fitting, I like clothes that drift.
Frills, gathers, seams across the body.
Sadly heels now. Last time I wore them going out for dinner, I felt like Dick Emery.
Anything that might look as if it could have come from a "classic" range.
Beige anything
Anything described as cosy or warm or thermal. Brings on my version of "claustrophobia" - fear of suffocation.

Musicgirl Wed 21-Oct-20 21:26:18

A bikini, shorts, the sort of dresses and suits my grandmothers wore (think the Queen Mother or Margaret Rutherford as Miss Marple.)

Mollyplop Wed 21-Oct-20 20:39:18

Lucca a friend and I used to have a competition to see who could spot and photograph the most hideous fleece! I've seen some corkers grin

narrowboatnan Wed 21-Oct-20 20:34:48

A pencil skirt
High heels
Any clothing made of leather
Pyjamas (the trousers twist around my legs so the seam is in all the wrong places)

Aepgirl Wed 21-Oct-20 19:17:18

Any of the ‘jewellery’ that’s advertised on the back of weekend magazines.

Bluecat Wed 21-Oct-20 19:14:24

Jeggings. I have a fat bum and fat legs, made worse by swelling around my shins and ankles due to a heart condition. The very thought of myself in jeggings makes me want to laugh.

LuckyFour Wed 21-Oct-20 19:02:03

I wear jeans all the time, I also wear skirt and dresses .when I get chance to go somewhere smart (not recently). I wear a lot of pink too, in fact it's my first colour choice.. I rarely wear black, I'm in my 70's but I think it makes me look old. I'd never wear bear shoulder tops. There's nothing wrong with my shoulders I'd just be cold.

MissAdventure Wed 21-Oct-20 18:27:01

Anything uncomfortable.
That includes 'sexy' underwear, any heels at all, anything with frills or bows.
Anything with 'cute' animals or positive slogans written in curly writing.
Anything that shows any part of me off.

JaneRn Wed 21-Oct-20 18:20:34

Jeans, leggings, jogging bottoms, tee-shirts with writing or pictures on them, polyester scarves, plastic handbags. Years ago I would have included flat shoes but, alas, the years have caught up with me and I have no choice - but I still hanker for a really high heel!

Callistemon Wed 21-Oct-20 17:55:36

MollyM

Big knickers

Well, I wouldn't be seen anywhere in big knickers either, so I cover them up with trousers or a skirt!

Lucca Wed 21-Oct-20 17:55:17

DINAHMO. I love prue leith specs too. I believe they cost many hundreds of pounds! I have a few Cheapies

sparklingsilver28 Wed 21-Oct-20 17:53:55

Prue Leith my style too - such beautiful joyous colours! I also admire Angela Rippon's colourful approach as well. For me nothing black, brown or fawn. No ghastly floral prints, frills, décolletage necklines (common), sleeveless tops or clinging clothing. And no hipsters/short rise trousers/jeans that make even tall girls look as if their legs have been chopped.

Lucca Wed 21-Oct-20 17:52:01

Marydoll

If I take notice of all the pet hates on here, I will need to go out wearing a black bin bag! I obviously have absolutely no taste! ?

I have a feeling you have excellent taste

grannyqueenie Wed 21-Oct-20 17:44:02

Took the very words out of my mouth, Marydoll......but my personal fashion police aka my 4 daughters seem to think I look half decent so I’m inclined to just ignore all comments here and stick with what I’m doing!

FannyCornforth Wed 21-Oct-20 17:35:44

MollyM

Big knickers

No! Tiny knickers are a no-no for me (or rather an impossibility)