Gransnet forums

Chat

Permanent tooth out and 'baby tooth' still sitting tight!

(13 Posts)
trisher Wed 21-Oct-20 11:23:16

I would say see the dentist and get an x-ray. GS had this and he was fine but it isn't possible to tell just by looking.

fevertree Wed 21-Oct-20 10:39:16

Hetty my comment was made in jest. I did however have a reputation for being able to get loose teeth out, trusted by the children of my friends who came to me to help them get their teeth to the tooth mouse! Different times...

grandMattie Wed 21-Oct-20 10:16:09

My DGS had that with one of his front teeth. the milk tooth eventually fell out, but sadly his permanent tooth grew inwards and had to be corrected with braces. He never used to smile as he was terribly self-conscious about this 'fang'. His smile is wonderful now!
Leave it until the next check-up, the dentist will advise.

Callistemon Wed 21-Oct-20 10:12:40

Yes, I've seen it with my own and usually they will come out and the new tooth will move to its correct place but sometimes it does need a bit of help from a dentist, so best to phone for advice.

EllanVannin Wed 21-Oct-20 09:43:48

This happened to one of my GGS's after lockdown in March/April and he was crying through the night because a second tooth was struggling to break through with a milk tooth not budging.

Not a dentist in sight ! D phoned privately but no response, it was the worst time. Even the hospital wouldn't help. In the end she travelled to a lowly sympathetic dentist who sorted the problem, no trouble.

We were disgusted to think that so many would leave a 10 year old in such pain.

Hetty58 Wed 21-Oct-20 09:39:46

fevertree, 'pin my children down' - crikey, I'd never do that!

Nature will take it's course with no help from us in most cases.

Sparklefizz Wed 21-Oct-20 09:35:15

fevertree My granddaughter had 2 rows of teeth at the bottom for a while, but eventually the baby teeth fell out on their own, she later had braces (which are a rite of passage for teenagers nowadays) and ended up with a perfect smile.

fevertree Wed 21-Oct-20 09:21:42

Thank you for the replies. They will be calling the dentist.

Chewbacca Tue 20-Oct-20 20:56:52

DS had this with 2 of his milk teeth; they would not fall out naturally and his 2nd teeth had started to come through. The dentist did an x-ray and discovered that the tooth on his upper set was starting to move towards the roof of his mouth (you could actually feel it with the tip of your finger). He did some amazing dental surgery by removing the milk tooth, and implementing a fixed dental brace to DS's upper teeth, which he tightened every 4 weeks, to bring the 2nd tooth into the right place. I seem to remember that it took about 9 months to align that tooth to where it needed to be but the result is that DS has perfect teeth now. Ask your dentist, they can do wonderful and amazing things to save teeth.

Elegran Tue 20-Oct-20 20:50:16

One of mine had this. It was resolved while he was playing around with a football with a friend - the ball somehow flew up into his face, hit his cheek, and suddenly the tooth was no longer attached.

fevertree Tue 20-Oct-20 20:47:10

Thank you Monica I'm not worried, my granny opinion has been asked and my instinct is that the attention of the dentist is not needed ... smile but I'd hate to give the wrong advice. So thought I'd ask the GN collective.

M0nica Tue 20-Oct-20 20:39:23

I seem to remember having this problem with DS and I was told not to worry the baby tooth would eventually come out and the second tooth would migrate to the position it was meant to be in.

If you are worried about this, phone your dentist and talk to him about it.

fevertree Tue 20-Oct-20 20:36:37

Dear GN experts, in a 6 year old, if a permanent tooth has cut through behind a lower jaw baby tooth, and there is no sign of the baby tooth in front of it being loose, is it a matter of wait and see, or is a visit to the dentist needed?

I used to pin my children down and wiggle a tooth that needed to come out, but I don't remember ever having the double tooth scenario or what was done back in the 1970s.

Thanks in anticipation.