Gransnet forums

Chat

What are all the abbreviations???

(82 Posts)
riccib123 Fri 23-Oct-20 12:52:14

I have only recently joined but keep seeing letters in capitals within the headings that mean nothing to me. DH being one! Please can someone advise this novice as it feels like a closed group I cannot join. Thanks ?

Witzend Sat 09-Jan-21 23:24:15

My favourites are CF, CBA, and FOTTFSOF, all gleaned from Mumsnet.
They’re all rude, so I wouldn’t want to appal anybody by spelling them out here.

Wheniwasyourage Sat 09-Jan-21 17:51:26

Well, I like them (most of them). I'm happy to call Mr When DH, because he is my dear husband. My DGCs' phone numbers are listed as DGC1 Esmerelda, DGC2 Peregrine, etc, which means that I can find them all in the same place and add another one as they all become old enough to have their own phone numbers.

As for things like WTF and FFS, I find them a convenient way of expressing meaning without causing offence.

So there. smile

Elegran Sat 09-Jan-21 15:45:15

I take it you don't yet have any arthritis in your fingers, Bluebell Typing a few letters instead of several words can be a saving in finger-aches. Some of us also have to type with one finger at a time and look down at the keyboard to find each letter.

eazybee Sat 09-Jan-21 14:14:49

I was told, by whom I have no idea, that if I used initials as abbreviations in a piece of writing I should always use the correct words once, at the beginning.
I wish the journalist who used GOP in her article about the Capitol Protesters had used it before her very last line.

Grand Old Party, (Republican). Who knew?

BlueBelle Sat 09-Jan-21 13:52:51

Dratted bit drafter ??

BlueBelle Sat 09-Jan-21 13:45:00

BlueBelle Sometimes the D in DH stands for a D word that definitely isn't Darling - more liked Damned or Dratted, and if the poster has spelt out "Darling" in full they would have meant it ironically
I totally understand that which makes it even sillier at least if you write it you know the person is being sarcastic
I just think it’s a copycat thing to look hip no one can really be so lazy especially as we are all sitting on our arxxx as to not write darling daughter or drafted husband

Elegran Sat 09-Jan-21 13:41:07

BlueBelle Sometimes the D in DH stands for a D word that definitely isn't Darling - more liked Damned or Dratted, and if the poster has spelt out "Darling" in full they would have meant it ironically.

Most of the abbreviations/acronyms are ones used so often online that they are familiar, and I do sometimes wonder how many people complaining here about the commoner GN ones type out, or even say, "Personal Identification Number" or "Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs" in full every time they refer to them (those would be PIN and HMRC, by the way)

However if it is a one-off, made up on the spur of the moment, the I agree that IIABNWOWTHIM by it.

(It Is A Blooming Nuisance Working Out What The Hell Is Meant by it)

WOODMOUSE49 Sat 09-Jan-21 13:29:09

Antonia

I don't care whether they are called acronyms, abbreviations or anything else. I simply don't like them. (Although I have used them sparingly myself, as it seems to be the general usage on the internet).
I see no real reason for shortening words. It surely isn't too much effort to type them in full, and it makes for much clearer reading.
I often dismiss posts that begin with something similar to 'My DH's ex DF says his DD's BF is cheating.'
I cannot summon up the will to decipher it all and work out who is being referred to.

Agree. I do slip in the odd DH occasionally but AC caught me out a while back.

It seems quite a few have slipped in from mumsnet.

grin Love the Jane Austin piece.

Antonia Sat 09-Jan-21 13:00:38

I can't imagine Jane Austen ever writing on Gransnet!
Mr. B, you’ll never guess. NH is let at last!
WTAF, why should you care DW?
Oh, Mr. B! Surely you must know, it’s been taken by another Mr. B, and he’s coming to NH with his DS, his SIL and a friend, who’s got lots of £. Such a good thing for our DDs.
Sorry, just being silly now!

BlueBelle Sat 09-Jan-21 12:56:26

No it’s not acronyms not really abbreviations they are Alphabet soup I saw one today that I couldn’t work out but I can’t ask as I ve forgotten what it was ?

BlueBelle Sat 09-Jan-21 12:49:10

I hate the abbreviations and never use them but you can’t change what other people want to do
It appears they are used on Mumsnet so we have to copy them but when there are complaints about young people’s spelling and text speak it seems pretty ironic to me
I think the ‘darling’ stuff is ridiculous especially when the poster is having a good old moan about the said person

You don’t have to use then but you do have to put up with others using them ricci

Antonia Sat 09-Jan-21 12:40:36

I don't care whether they are called acronyms, abbreviations or anything else. I simply don't like them. (Although I have used them sparingly myself, as it seems to be the general usage on the internet).
I see no real reason for shortening words. It surely isn't too much effort to type them in full, and it makes for much clearer reading.
I often dismiss posts that begin with something similar to 'My DH's ex DF says his DD's BF is cheating.'
I cannot summon up the will to decipher it all and work out who is being referred to.

Lewie Sat 09-Jan-21 11:50:47

Only just now reading this thread:
However, there are so many posters who are not familiar enough with the term Acronym to recognise it on the button that adding Intialisation could confuse them further into thinking that selecting it would initialise some drastic IT routine on their Ipad.
Elegran that made me laugh!

Witzend Sat 09-Jan-21 10:38:59

Ages ago, new to a different forum entirely, I wondered for a while who was this Dh, who everyone was mentioning.
Dopey Herbert? Daft Harry?

Glad to say it didn’t take me too long to work out that besides meaning Dear Husband, it could also unofficially mean Dratted Ditto.

Elegran Sat 09-Jan-21 10:08:22

They are listed on Gransnet. There is a link to it under "Acronyms" among the buttons near the top of the forum page, beside the ones for Active, I'm on, Watching, Unanswered, Last hour, Last day, FAQs, and Acronyms
Direct link is www.gransnet.com/info/acronyms
I wish they would change that title to "Abbreviations" - new posters ask in dozens where the list of abbreviations is, no-one asks about acronyms. They are not even really acronyms, which have to make a real word on their own (like PIN for Personal Identification Number)

Maryan Sat 09-Jan-21 09:52:37

I still can’t find a useful list of abbreviations. When searching, Google just takes me back to this thread. The link on Grananet doesn’t have half the abbreviations I’ve seen in discussions.

Bathsheba Sun 25-Oct-20 13:00:27

Towards the front of my OED (Oxford English Dictionary) there is a ‘list of abbreviations’. It includes abbreviated words, such as def. art. as well as ‘initialised’ abbreviations such as O.T. and U.S., which is why I’ve always considered ‘initialised’ forms to be classed equally as abbreviations.

quizqueen Sun 25-Oct-20 12:03:43

My granddaughter's school certainly cares about grammar and spellings. She has a really hard list to practise every week, which she has to spell and use in sentences correctly. Over lockdown, she had to use examples of fronted adverbial clauses in a piece of descriptive work- she turned 9 during that period- year 4.

Justwidowed Sun 25-Oct-20 11:50:31

Sodapop,you missed the R ,ready.Another was HOLLAND,hope our love lasts and never dies.

Rufus2 Sun 25-Oct-20 10:46:20

Agree re “hubby”: too twee for words
Lucca; Sorry I missed your point yesterday! I thought your rant was referring to a particular "husband" not the term of endearment! grin
OoRoo

Elegran Sun 25-Oct-20 08:17:02

They are not acronyms, as they don't make words on their own. I would have classed them with abbreviations. I suppose you might say that they are more like initialisations as they use the initials of each word, run together into a single unit.

However, there are so many posters who are not familiar enough with the term Acronym to recognise it on the button that adding Intialisation could confuse them further into thinking that selecting it would initialise some drastic IT routine on their Ipad.

Lucca Sat 24-Oct-20 22:32:17

Agree re “hubby”: too twee for words, but these DGD etcetera I was saying are neither Acronyms nor abbreviations.

Elegran Sat 24-Oct-20 22:03:55

If we are talking about hubby it is just a nickname and an abomination. Bro is an abbreviation, ther has been chopped off. Bro should be chopped up too.

Elegran Sat 24-Oct-20 21:59:55

Just returned to the screen so have lost the place in the thread. What are what? Miss A & Lucca Are we still talking about acronyms and abbreviations?

Lucca Sat 24-Oct-20 21:16:02

MissAdventure

What are they, then?
I'm genuinely asking, not being sarky.

Absolutely no idea. Been that kind of day.