Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's welcoming kitchen for kindly caring folk...

(1001 Posts)
soop Sat 24-Oct-20 12:03:57

Here we are again. As happy as we can be (in the circumstances). All good pals and jolly good company.

Cheers! cupcake wine brew cafe and whatever else that you fancy, providing it's legal. smile

soop Sun 25-Oct-20 17:40:09

Well spotted, ann. I'm sure that you are right.

Not very long ago, we had a sum of money deposited in our bank account. We had a phone call from Fair Trade wotsit to say that it was mis-sold PPI. I was overjoyed. We understood that we would have to pay costs etc., but, even so, we had enough remaining for a long weekend away sometime.
MacS believes that there has been a mistake and that we need to return the money. In fact, he'd sent an email to that effect.
He said how sorry he is to disappoint me. He asked, do you still love me? Dopey man! He's the absolute best.

Son number one has kept me talking on the phone for an age. He's lovely. Talks at a rate of knots. Makes me laugh. A fine way to close the day.

I shall return tomorrow. Good night to you all. smile moon

Greyduster Sun 25-Oct-20 18:35:11

Hello the new kitchen! Is there a three legged stool I can stand on, please? And I will need a dunce’s cap too! Like N&G I am the proud owner of a new laptop. Unlike N&G I have spent a week walking past it and poking it with a long stick, so I decided it was time to confront my demons and switch it on! I stared at it. It stared back at me. Then it beeped. I went ? and turned it off! Well, at least I learned how to turn it on and off!
You wouldn’t think I spent twenty nine years of my working life in front of a computer (from when desktops were in their Amstrad infancy!), and have owned two laptops before I moved to iPads. But this one is super smart and I, sadly, no longer am (if I ever was!).
Galen what a happy surprise for you - I’d give any amount of mud and Fireman Sam (those were the days) to spend time with GS at the moment. Tier three is a pain in the bit at the opposite end to the neck!
Kitty hope Bertie’s match had a happy outcome for him. Good to see these youngsters still able to do the things they love.
Grandmabatty pineapple upside down cake is my favourite, so yes please!
Maw news that our JL was to reopen after the lockdown (it was doubtful whether it would) was like manna from Heaven to both myself and DD. And their cheese scones are the best!
Well, I am off to order myself a copy of Windows for Dummies, so I bid you all good evening! TOYA.

Doodle Mon 26-Oct-20 11:16:58

Oh here you all are.
Another new kitchen Soop. Cosy, warm and friendly like all of them have been.
I have just had a Waitrose delivery so left a chocolate fudge cake and some shortbread biscuits on the table for anyone who wants some.
Galen what a happy visit.?
Hope everyone is ok
TOYA?

annsixty Mon 26-Oct-20 11:27:23

Good morning all on the wettest morning imaginable.
It is lashing down.

I am doing fine now except that my staples are still in situ.
Told on Friday morning that a second referral had been made to District Nurses.
Oh no it hasn’t according to them.
I got onto them at 9am and am waiting for a call back as to when they are coming.
The girl on the phone asked me to open the letter given to me for them.
Staples should have been removed on Friday, I am imagining my skin grown all over them!!

So sad that so many of us are down and upset, mental health is going to be a big problem over the winter.

I send very best wishes to all in coping.Have the best possible day you can.

Grandmabatty Mon 26-Oct-20 12:22:34

Annsixty that's so frustrating for you! I hope they get it sorted out soon.

Grandmabatty Mon 26-Oct-20 12:28:05

Ghost story continues...
Forgetting that I wanted to talk to the Head, I ran back to my colleagues who were tidying up and grabbed one. I pulled her back down to the management corridor and showed her the photograph. Pointing to the man in the academic gown, I asked her if she knew who he was. She told me his story.
The gentleman was a depute head who had lived with his wife in a schoolhouse, in the 50s. One day, he didn't turn up for work. The janitor went round to see if he had overslept and knocked furiously to no avail. When the police broke down the door, they found the depute and his wife, dead.

soop Mon 26-Oct-20 13:58:09

Grandmabatty Gulp!

ann Confusion appears to reign. Do hope that matters are resolved asap.

Doodle May I have a little of each? Feeling peckish right now and utterly confused.

Fair Trade have called twice this morning. Assuring MacS that he does qualify for the PPI refund amount deposited in our account. So now, MacS has asked the bank for all manner of details. He says that, if there's been a mistake, he cannot rest until matters are puts to rights.

Greyduster I also have a laptop that our kind neighbour gave me almost a year ago. I'm afraid to use it. Cannot think why. Can you spare an afternoon to take me through the rudimentary dos and don'ts. hmm

Greyduster Mon 26-Oct-20 14:09:09

Well Soop as far as the do’s and don’ts are concerned, they are simple; do think yourself blessed you have such a kind neighbour, but don’t open the lid!! I know I’m going to get my knuckles rapped for that but seriously I’m the last person you should be asking. Now if you want to know anything about fishing, I’m your gal?!

annsixty Mon 26-Oct-20 15:08:22

A lovely District nurse just turned up and (nearly painlessly) removed 26 staples.
Apparently it has healed beautifully and is clean.
All done bar the shouting now.
I feel very lucky.

baubles Mon 26-Oct-20 15:11:22

Just put my head round the door and saw your news Ann, that’s marvellous. Onwards and upwards now.

Puzzler61 Mon 26-Oct-20 15:15:41

I was not expecting that Grandmabatty! Can’t wait for story time tomorrow ?
Hurrah annsixty you have climbed the hill and now you’re on the other side. Life is looking a lot rosier for you from now on. ???

Puzzler61 Mon 26-Oct-20 15:18:21

Oh Doodle , I have yummy fudge cake squished around my mouth and it looks like a have a moustache. That will teach me for being greedy. ? thank you.

Grandmabatty Mon 26-Oct-20 15:50:55

That is good news Ann

GrannyGravy13 Mon 26-Oct-20 16:14:56

Fabulous news Annsixty onwards and upwards from now.

MawB2 Mon 26-Oct-20 16:25:09

I have left some coffee shortbread biscuits on the side for you - maybe not as many as I might have but I got to them first!
A sudden urge and craving for something sweet yesterday afternoon - and not a biscuit in the house, so I just baked some instead!
I am just back from seeing littlest DGS , his Daddy and his other Granny and Grandpa . SIL is “in charge“ today so he drove up to Woburn from London and we all met up there for a walk and a play in the village playground. Otis had such a lovely time and it has been a glorious Autumn afternoon .
On top of a morning with my friend and neighbour making sloe gin I feel very lucky and I have little to complain about.
Life can be good can’t it?

Nannytopsy Mon 26-Oct-20 16:54:30

Nice to see lovely positive posts today. Good news ann and a lovely day for you too Maw.
The knee is heading for an X-ray so that we know what is going on.
Got up early for the chaps to lay the greenhouse base but it turns out that they rang the wrong number and were not coming here. ?. Never mind, it gives us more time to do our jobs before they start.
Flapjack cookies on the table.

Susan56 Mon 26-Oct-20 17:06:11

Sounds like a perfect day Maw☺️just what you needed.

Good news Ann.Onwards and upwards now.

Our daughter is starting to feel better so we have taken Matilda home today.The house is very quiet without her!

TOYA

Nannytopsy Mon 26-Oct-20 17:06:47

I have to phone and arrange.

Nannytopsy Mon 26-Oct-20 17:07:09

Ignore that!

soop Mon 26-Oct-20 17:12:16

There is good, uplifting news for us lot this afternoon. I am chuffed.

Tomorrow, the GP says he'll call MacS with the results of his scan. It would be lovely to be able to start the day on a positive note.

Weather here in Kintyre is beyond boisterous. Scudding clouds. White-capped waves. Squally showers every few minutes. Time to hunker down and draw the blind.

Love to you all. smile moon

GrannySomerset Mon 26-Oct-20 17:14:09

So pleased to read Ann’s post and to know that recovery is so well under way. And Maw’s post made for cheerful reading of a kind we all need. I enjoyed meeting two WI friends for coffee this morning but have done nothing useful with today. Tomorrow is of course another day and I may find something constructive to do.

Grandmabatty Mon 26-Oct-20 17:30:17

Fingers crossed for tomorrow Soop

cornergran Mon 26-Oct-20 18:12:47

That’s good news ann. Delighted for you.

More crossed fingers here for tomorrow soop. Will be thinking of you both.

Recovering from a dental procedure and the very strict requirements to enter the dental surgery. No coats, bags or umbrellas. So lucky, the rain held off until I was back in the car. With luck today has the tooth sorted, it’s a bit sore but that’s to be expected. A need to be careful with food has Weetabix on my menu grin. One thing off the list.

Let be careful out there everyone. TOYA.

aggie Mon 26-Oct-20 18:43:47

Lovely to see that things are more upbeat today Ann
Here’s to good results from MCS s scan xxx

NanaandGrampy Tue 27-Oct-20 09:16:59

Morning all !

You sound so much brighter Ann, very glad the staples are gone. You'll be ruing a marathon before you know it ;-)

Maw I have never heard of coffee shortbread but pass one over please. I like all things coffee. Glad to hear you sounding so bright too . That visit certainly gave you a lift and doesn't everyone get a lift from gin ?? smile

Grey open that lid- stop being a girlie wuss !!

Corner glad you got your dental treatment . I am no closer to getting mine and when I look at my wonky front tooth now I'm glad I wear a mask when I'm out !!

Off to slimming this morning but we will be stopping soon. We aren't enjoying the classes now they're 'Covid secure' so its such a waste of money. We shall just have to soldier on at home. After slimming you ask...... cake I say !!

Its a good life !!

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion