Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you ever just do nothing?

(108 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Sat 24-Oct-20 15:27:14

It's quite a nice day here but I didn't go for a walk as I was expecting my son to call. He rang to say he was unwell so I took a short nap, made coffee and have spent the afternoon just looking at the I pad and crossword. I couldn't be bothered going out now so I think I am in for the day!

Didolizzy Sun 25-Oct-20 14:42:51

Brilliant!!?? I can relate to this more and more.

crazyH Sun 25-Oct-20 13:56:50

All the time !!!!
Done nothing at all today.......got to have a quick shower now before I visit my son and family ...

Carmo1 Sun 25-Oct-20 13:52:36

I’m glad I’m not the only one I get up early every day to let the dogs out and feed them then make a cup of tea and if it’s cold and wet I hope back to bed with a book

grandtanteJE65 Sun 25-Oct-20 13:22:59

I do nothing in the sense of drinking coffee, watching TV, listening to music, or reading a book, which I gather from this thread can constitute doing nothing.

To me doing nothing is something completely different, it is doing nothing at all.

I'm not good at doing nothing, as I prefer tasks that I know when I have finished. Nothing goes on and on and on.

Panda25 Sun 25-Oct-20 13:18:46

Oh Stephenmarra I am the same, though occasionally I'll remember to finish the first job that I have started before I move onto the next one but that only happens occasionally

CarlyD7 Sun 25-Oct-20 13:05:18

Absolutely! After being diagnosed with a chronic illness (years ago) I HAD to learn to relax and let go of the need to be busy (otherwise I felt guilty). My very wise doctor told me that the 3 Pillars of Good Health are: Diet, Exercise, Rest (including good quality sleep). The first thing I did was buy a lovely hammock for the garden and have spent many a happy summer's day out there doing diddly squat. My health has improved loads since I let go of all that stupid guilt.

Graygirl Sun 25-Oct-20 12:28:34

You bet ,the kids aren't the only ones to have duvet day. DD lives you d the corner full time work 2 kids and husband who works shifts, we meet up every Sunday afternoon but one Sunday every month or so when all of them are at home they have a PJ day and I have a duvet day, for both of us it goes like this.
Shower, favourite PJ s, film or box set, and very little food cooked, casserole from freezer or the like.

Cabbie21 Sun 25-Oct-20 12:27:34

Doing nothing equals browsing the internet for far too long.
If I have the motivation I set myself 20 minutes of something productive: dusting and filing are two much neglected tasks which work well in that time frame. Something is achieved that needed to be done, then I can go back to doing nothing guilt free.

tara Sun 25-Oct-20 12:22:05

Sorry remark was replying to Stephens.

tara Sun 25-Oct-20 12:20:33

What a good description on how we are so busy doing nothing!

dragonfly46 Sun 25-Oct-20 12:19:45

Depends what you regard as doing nothing. I have not trouble being busy and filling my days. It is just that it is far more pleasurable these days than when I was working because I can please myself!
I never think I have wasted time!

cupcake1 Sun 25-Oct-20 12:09:12

I feel I’ve wasted a day if I do nothing. My daughter thinks I’m mad I couldn’t even relax when went to a spa ! I just think those who are infirmed due to age or illness would love to be able to do things. Wish I could chill out more but I guess I’m to old to change now! ?.

biba70 Sun 25-Oct-20 12:03:31

It depends where you live too - this huge old pile and large garden need work - so the option is just not there- I'd really have to downsize if I wanted to try and do nothing. One day, maybe. Staff is not an option, lol.

weeducky Sun 25-Oct-20 11:59:15

Ha ha sounds so familiar!

Newatthis Sun 25-Oct-20 11:46:52

I try to but feel very guilty when I do. I don’t know why I can’t shake the guilt off so finish up doing something.

Roxie62 Sun 25-Oct-20 11:36:38

Yesterday I had a day doing nothing much. I did tidy my knicker drawer and sorted out all my bras today. I didnt realise I had so many !!!

Juicylucy Sun 25-Oct-20 11:34:30

I’m the opposite, I find it hard doing nothing. I’m a list maker so whenever I have free time I revert to the list and get stuck into those jobs on my occasions I wish I could just sit and do nothing but I then feel I’m wasting my life and so it goes on. I’m envious of folk being able to just sit back and do nothing. Enjoy!

TheFrugalPiggy Sun 25-Oct-20 11:33:04

I can't sit down during the day. I have to feel productive. The only time I can sit and "do nothing" is if I'm ill, then I go to bed. A friend says that I don't give myself permission to relax.

Janiepops Sun 25-Oct-20 11:27:29

Thank heavens there is three pages of people saying the same thing! Wish I had enough personal control to put iPad away! I’ve got 4 online newspapers which I read avidly,so what have I achieved by the close of the day? Absolutely nothing!! Then do it all over again tomorrow, I’m seizing up ?

allsortsofbags Sun 25-Oct-20 11:25:06

There are days I could make "doing nothing" into an olympic event :-) But I'm getting sick of not being able to GO somewhere so I can DO something with my day.

Then there are days I can't find the energy to do some of the bigger jobs in the house but I can't just "do nothing, I loathe those days .

Those days are the worst, I want to get on with things but don't have the energy to do much. I have an autoimmune disorder and for the most part I have learned to live with it and not beat myself up when I have a day of "doing nothing".

It has got harder since March to find joy in "doing nothing" as so much of what I would have liked to do either wasn't available or it didn't make sense to do it. Eg going to the coast on a fine day, would have loved to but ... so stayed in the garden and didn't "Do Much".

I've done jigsaws, read for hours, wasted time on the laptop, got the sewing machine out, still ended up doing nothing.

Oh Hum, lets hope 2021 brings us all better times then if we "Do Nothing" it will really be our choice.

Take Care all and enjoy the day however you are spending it.

LuckyFour Sun 25-Oct-20 11:24:59

11.30 am sitting in dressing gown, nothing done !

Craftycat Sun 25-Oct-20 11:19:11

I can read all day if given the chance. I have always loved books since I was first old enough to read.
My idea of a perfect day is lying on a sunbed on a quiet Greek Beach with my Kindle. I do this for 14 days straight in July most years. I go back to bar at apartments for lunch & meet up with DH who prefers the pool & chatting to people. This year it had to be in the garden. Luckily we got a gorgeous summer!

handbaghoarder Sun 25-Oct-20 11:17:30

I’m excellent at having these days but far too many I think. Seem to have lost my motivation since retirement 3 years ago and this is compounded by covid. Quite happy just to “sit“ Its an effort to actually get ready and go anywhere though when I do I enjoy it. This wouldnt matter but my 35 year old son has had to move back home from London for a few months and he gets frustrated that I’m happy doing nothing. ??(Think he’s finding it hard returning to small village life with mum and dad.). And if Im dog sitting my daughter’s cavalier king charles spaniel then we do nothing together ???. Bliss

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 25-Oct-20 11:09:59

I'm busy doing nothing............... as the song says! But actually I'm usually trawling the internet, that's my nothing!

Nonamedone Sun 25-Oct-20 11:02:48

I have those days all the time but I love them. I just change into my comfies and slob out no guilt whatsoever smile