Gransnet forums

Chat

Bad weekend

(39 Posts)
Msida Sun 25-Oct-20 17:38:46

My go to stress buster is food sad

I am not big time over weight I weigh 10st 8 but must of put on a couple of pounds just today!

I feel so bad when I turn to food I wish I could find something that works just as good

Is this just me

dragonfly46 Sun 25-Oct-20 17:44:27

It is hard isn't it when you are feeling low. I tend not to eat when I am unhappy but I can understand those who do.
When I am low I just tell myself that tomorrow is another day and I will be feeling better then. I almost always do.

I do hope you feel better tomorrow, Msida. Weekends are always the worst.

BlueBelle Sun 25-Oct-20 17:50:39

No you’re not alone 10 and a half stones not too bad unless you’re 4 ft nothing
I mostly use food when I m bored and I m fine till I have something then I don’t want to stop it’s totally daft isn’t it I think I ve put on half a stone since lockdown although my life hasn’t really changed that much I still get the same amount of exercise but there’s so little to think about, talk about, listen to except all the miseries if the world
Don’t worry I bet there are lots of us
I have a Weight ceiling where I won’t go above though
Don’t beat yourself up

Lavazza1st Sun 25-Oct-20 17:50:54

@Msida so sorry to hear you're feeling bad.

Ways I cope: I eat whatever I want at weekends because everyone is home and temptation is too much, then between Monday and friday I have a strict diet. I am losing weight, but slowly and not unhappily.

I try to do more exercise.

If my weight fluctuates a pound or two upwards I tell myself I just need a good bowel movement. ;)

I love food (it is a comfort) , more than alcohol and I don't smoke- so I feel your pain.

sodapop Sun 25-Oct-20 17:52:17

Don't worry about it Msida tomorrow is another day and you can exercise a bit more to make up for today. Have you tried putting the cost of your treat in a piggy bank then treating yourself when you have saved a bit of money, new top, book, pair of shoes etc.
A lot of us are comfort eating at the moment you are not alone.

Astral Sun 25-Oct-20 18:02:30

I know exactly how you feel, as soon as I get the children off to bed, husband is doing his own thing, I just get really low. I could make myself busy doing household things but I haven't got the will to do it. So I just sit bored and lonely.

I would usually chat to friends but it seems most of us have pulled inwards and are all down.

Msida Sun 25-Oct-20 18:06:44

Thank you smile

A few good ideas, spending the money elsewhere is a really good idea, defnetley going to try that.

And having the mindset that things, will be better tomorrow could be powerful

I do feel a little bit better thank you and will try the suggestions out next time I am having a bad weekend thank you ?

PinkCakes Mon 26-Oct-20 16:05:44

I know what you mean, Msida. I really do need to lose a few stone, but I've got a real sweet tooth. I started a diet (another one) just over a week ago (lost 7lbs), by not even buying the sweet things I'd normally have. I've got nothing nice in the house! No sweets, biscuits, cakes, chocolate, etc. I want to look and feel better, so I've started going out for walks as well as the occasional Zumba class.

lemongrove Mon 26-Oct-20 16:10:33

It can be very hard, add to that all animals ( including us!) are hard wired to eat more in Autumn, putting on some Winter fat to see us through cold days.
I have plenty to spare if anyone needs some.?
Have a treat now and then, just not every day.

AGAA4 Mon 26-Oct-20 16:17:29

I find I want to raid the fridge when I'm having a bad day but try to distract myself. I go for a walk, read a book and often the craving for food goes away. But not always unfortunately so need to drop a few pounds.

Msida Mon 26-Oct-20 20:15:53

Thank you everyone for your interesting post, defnetley helped thank you..

Froglady Tue 27-Oct-20 09:42:24

Same here, and I've been overeating since March when the lockdown started. I live on my own so there's no one to share the lockdown with. It's a very lonely life and food is very easy to come by and helps at the time.

Teetime Tue 27-Oct-20 09:46:38

Msida you are not alone I could be mistaken for a whale the amount of comfort I have taken from food lately. Try to just keep to the healthy stuff - a couple of days on fruit and salad/veg only would make you feel a bit brighter.

Nannapat1 Tue 27-Oct-20 09:49:15

I've overeating throughout lockdown as that it is what I do when stressed ir depressed. Now over a stone heavier, I'm now suffering the consequences with increased arthritis pain and stiffness. I feel for the OP.

Phloembundle Tue 27-Oct-20 10:31:05

Sod the food! Give me wine.

crimpedhalo Tue 27-Oct-20 10:44:22

I've been stress/comfort eating more since my husband was diagnosed with bone marrow cancer over 5 years ago. His steroid medication had my mild mannered laid back husband into an argumentative knit picking so and so.

The cancer returned early last year and I became really tired....I would just eat carbs as an easy way instead of cooking. This sleepy period continued until I eventually got full blood tests done.

I now have T2 Diabetes, NAFLD, borderline Polycythaemia,
and high cholesterol.

Diet and exercise was prescribed (I now need to lose a minimum of 4 stone).

I do very well until stress turns me towards food. Since Xmas I've lost and gained 15lbs.....so exasperating. But I keep on trying every day to do better otherwise one of these serious diseases will kill me. I'm 72, 5ft 3 and weigh 14st 2lbs

Chaitriona Tue 27-Oct-20 10:52:11

No, you are far from alone. When I am bored, in pain, frightened, despairing or depressed the physical pleasure of eating sugar, fat and salt can mask these feelings while I am eating. But the minute I stop, they return, so I want another biscuit etc until I feel a bit sick. And then one is burdened by the misery of having eaten too much unhealthy food. Eating doesn’t really help with these feelings and becomes addictive. Just sitting with these feelings, breathing, meditating, chanting, relaxing, doing yoga, pampering, looking at nature, listening to music, reading something uplifting, going a little walk, doing a hobby or a piece of housework, keeping a thankfulness diary, if you are healthy exercising, phoning someone, doing a little good deed, lots of different thing for different people, also help and feeling a bit better lasts without all the negative payback of comfort eating. Food should be a pleasure not a negative thing. A small food treat is a good part of life. I know it is not easy. Not for me, anyway. But I do believe it is the happiest and most self caring way to try to live.

Craftycat Tue 27-Oct-20 11:00:41

If I feel low I always feel the need to bake. I used to teach cakecraft & I love to cook.
Having now spent many months with very little to do & DH at home all the time my cake tins & freezers are full to bursting & no likely hood of DGC coming round to empty them! DH does not have a sweet tooth & has only tried some of the Peanut Butter Cookies so far.
I suspect I will be on a diet when all this madness is over!

Chaitriona Tue 27-Oct-20 11:02:55

Crimpedhalo, I am so sorry you have had all this suffering. I have been a carer and understand. It is easy to beat ourselves up and blame ourselves. Then we feel more miserable. We should try to be kind to ourselves. You have done well in losing some weight and can do so again. Perhaps the dieting is a little too strict and then it is easy to swing too far the other way and despair. A middle way is often easier to maintain. Good luck.

Romola Tue 27-Oct-20 11:20:34

Is no-one admitting to the odd ciggie?

nipsmum Tue 27-Oct-20 11:23:52

When I was giving up smoking 20 years ago, I was encouraged to find something to keep my hands and mind busy. I started making Greetings cards. I found that designing and making them helped keep my mind and my hands busy. I could get lost for hours in that hobby. I also knitted while watching TV and that occupied my hands. As I lived alone at that time it was not a good idea to do too muck baking but it helped sometimes and neighbours were always grateful and still are for a little bit of home baking or cooking. My mother taught me to keep my mind and hands busy and I wouldn't have time to be bored or to worry. That advice has served me well over the years.

Annaram1 Tue 27-Oct-20 11:32:52

When I read about comfort eating I just feel impelled to have chocolate. Now off to the kitchen to get some. Its a miserable day and the chocolate being dark is good for you, isn't it?

Xrgran Tue 27-Oct-20 11:38:13

It’s harder to put on weight if you are vegan! Vegan chocolate is vile! I do love my white wine though ?

If it’s boredom why not find out what you can join online? Help a local charity or community group or learn to do something. I recently used Pinterest to learn how to make a macrame plant holder as I have too many houseplants!
I think I annoy my family by being far too busy to talk on the phone etc.

PECS Tue 27-Oct-20 11:39:53

I have always had an issue with maintaining a healthy weight and have sometimes fallen into comfort eating.

I now, generally, eat what I want when I want and have no guilt. No foods are off limits but I do make myself be active for at least 10minutes of every 60 that I am awake. That does not mean I jump up each our for a 10 minute work out! But if I am gardening for an hour, take a walk to the park/shops, change the bedclothes etc that all adds up! On cold wet miserable days..like today..I have managed to be outside for a bit but I will walk and may also put on a favourite album and dance . I am still too short for my weight but I am not too unhealthy. Be kind to yourself smile

Kim19 Tue 27-Oct-20 11:52:31

'Tis hard and a food treat is indeed a quick fix. I totally understand. However I had success losing weight and that has given me the resolve to resort to other fixes. Never again! I try to hit one of the items on my to do list and when that fails I have even gone for a walk in the rain. That was decidedly enjoyable much to my surprise. I find I have fewer low days by not thinking too far ahead. My pal suggested this and it seems to be working for me at the moment. Hope you're feeling less down now. Good luck.