Gransnet forums

Chat

Vitamin D and Covid 19

(103 Posts)
Witzend Wed 28-Oct-20 08:25:39

I dare say this is not a new idea to many GNers - it isn’t to me - but since there’s an article in today’s Times I though it worth mentioning.

A study in Spain has shown that Covid 19 patients are almost twice as likely to be deficient in Vitamin D as a comparable population without the virus.

This idea has been around for quite a while, so why on earth there isn’t govt. advice about it, I don’t know. It could also explain, at least partly, why BAME people are more susceptible, given that they’re often more likely to be Vitamin D deficient anyway, given our so often clouded skies.

Witzend Wed 28-Oct-20 09:14:06

My most recent supply came from Holland and Barrett online - on one of their buy one, get one for 1p, offer days - 365 max strength capsules of D3 by Nu U Nutrition.

Jaxjacky Wed 28-Oct-20 09:19:06

I’ve got liquid vitamin d, I put it on my Weetabix.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 28-Oct-20 09:19:44

I am sure that at one of the early press conferences either Professor Witty or Van Tam were encouraging us to get our into the fresh air/sunshine to keep up our Vit D as it was beneficial in Covid recovery.

I have taken Vit D supplements since beginning of October as we will not be flying off to sunnier climes this winter.

annsixty Wed 28-Oct-20 09:23:35

Mine are prescribed after my TKR 4 years ago.
I take 400 iu twice a day.
The tabs also contain calcium.

BlueSapphire Wed 28-Oct-20 09:24:52

I take a prescribed 800IU every day. After I broke my upper arm a few years ago I was found to be very deficient in Vit D, so the hospital then prescribed a high loading dose, then tablets to be taken every day as a preventative against osteoporosis.

Daisymae Wed 28-Oct-20 09:27:26

We take vitamin d and zinc. There's numerous studies that indicate benefits.

Marydoll Wed 28-Oct-20 09:48:42

Witzend

*@Marydoll*, is that perhaps because, as a redhead, presumably with very fair skin, you tend to steer clear of the sun even when there is any? (Rather than the fact of your hair colour?).

Witzend, I actually try to get as much sun as possible.
However, my endocrinologist advised me that if I lay naked blush in the sun, all day in Dubai, it wouldn't make a bit of difference. I don't retain VitD.

I know, that statement conjures up a horrible image! ?

MawB2 Wed 28-Oct-20 10:02:40

www.gransnet.com/forums/coronavirus/1278835-Get-out-into-the-sun-this-weekend?pg=2

I remember starting a thread on this in May.

Jane10 Wed 28-Oct-20 10:03:53

MawB I don't expect to get VitD free. I posted that I'd paid for my own in case English Grans thought they were distributed FOC to all up here.

Marydoll Wed 28-Oct-20 10:08:18

I said as a shielder I am being given them, I thought I made that clear. You also have to be careful, you get the correct dosage, as you can overdose.

Oldbat1 Wed 28-Oct-20 10:11:31

Blood test showed I was really deficient in Vit D last year. Prescribed large dose for 3months which brought levels up to within normal range. I buy my own now. I had an extremely sore finger due to osteoarthritis which had an open sore that just wouldn’t heal. Since taking vit D said open sore has healed which I’m thrilled about. I follow a Dr John Campbell on you tube who really rates vit D.

Kalu Wed 28-Oct-20 10:14:19

I am grateful not to have poor health justification for free Scottish Government VitD supplements Jane10. Count you blessings, surely.

TerriBull Wed 28-Oct-20 10:18:16

My GP, apropos of a blood test, told me I was deficient in Vitamin D that was a couple of years ago, have been taking it ever since.

Also read a while back that there was some evidence to suggest from a couple of studies, that mouth wash was also effective in fighting the virus. I use that as well.

Callistemon Wed 28-Oct-20 10:19:28

GrannyLaine

It definitely supports the immune system but the bigger question is surely 'Why on earth are so many people deficient?'

I think because of the worries about getting skin cancers so people use liberal amounts of sun cream or cover up, GrannyLaine.
It is said that we can gain enough in the summer months to see us through the winter if we expose ourselves to the sun for about 20 minutes a day from mid-April until about the end of September, but that is not always possible.

Others are on medication which may make their immune systems more compromised and need extra Vitamin D.

Kalu Wed 28-Oct-20 10:20:46

I have been following Dr. John Campbell too Oldbat1. He talks much more sense than many I have listened to.

Daddima Wed 28-Oct-20 10:21:42

travelsafar

Anyone know what strength VitD we should taken every day as i do know, you can take too much.

I was prescribed 800IU ( 20 micrograms) of Accrete D daily, (apparently for osteoporosis prevention and to boost immune system) They contain calcium also, and are about £5 per 56 tablets.

Callistemon Wed 28-Oct-20 10:23:53

Mushrooms are a good source of Vit.D. and I eat a lot of those as I like them creamed on toast for a tasty meal.

Interesting EllanVannin
I think I read a while ago that if you put the mushrooms in a sunny spot for a while they will absorb Vitamin D and are a good source even when cooked.

No chance at the moment though, we had a thunderstorm earlier and it's still raining.

Daddima Wed 28-Oct-20 10:24:17

Sorry, annsixty and BlueSapphire, I see you’ve answered already!

Callistemon Wed 28-Oct-20 10:26:40

Unless you have need of a higher dose, then cod liver oil is a good source.

dragonfly46 Wed 28-Oct-20 10:27:40

I also take 800IU every day along with calcium as I also take pills which reduce my bone density.
As Mary says though you have to be careful as you can accumulate too much as it stores in the body.

GagaJo Wed 28-Oct-20 10:32:52

Is this why South Africans are thought to have developed herd immunity? Many with antibodies were totally asymptomatic.

uk.news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-south-africas-covid-lockdown-221500834.html

Kalu Wed 28-Oct-20 10:33:49

Upon following VitD studies, published in the spring, a comparison to the high rate of infection in Italy, a very sunny country, VitD levels were low. In comparison, Sweden, with lower rates of infection and much less sunshine, VitD levels were high due to diet, fish oils, plus a high percentage of VitD in milk, regulated by the Swedish Government.

In conclusion, supplements provide higher levels of VitD compared to living in a sunny climate.

Charleygirl5 Wed 28-Oct-20 10:37:52

If one has Macular Degeneration as I have, I was told to sit in the sun x3 a week for around 15 minutes but that is insufficient vitamin D from sunlight hence taking vitamin D for so long.

Marydoll Wed 28-Oct-20 10:38:53

That's really interesting, Kalu. I always try to ensure a diet high in VitD, it's probably a blessing that I love most foods ????which come from the sea!

Antonia Wed 28-Oct-20 10:39:49

I have kidney disease, and have twice asked my consultant about taking vitamin d. Both times he said no. I did point out that I am dark skinned, don't go out much and he doesn't know if I am deficient or not because he has never tested my vitamin levels. He said he would only recommend taking vitamin d if I was showing symptoms of being deficient.
I may be wrong, but I am ignoring his advice and now take 400iu every other day.