Gransnet forums

Chat

Vitamin D and Covid 19

(103 Posts)
Witzend Wed 28-Oct-20 08:25:39

I dare say this is not a new idea to many GNers - it isn’t to me - but since there’s an article in today’s Times I though it worth mentioning.

A study in Spain has shown that Covid 19 patients are almost twice as likely to be deficient in Vitamin D as a comparable population without the virus.

This idea has been around for quite a while, so why on earth there isn’t govt. advice about it, I don’t know. It could also explain, at least partly, why BAME people are more susceptible, given that they’re often more likely to be Vitamin D deficient anyway, given our so often clouded skies.

GagaJo Fri 30-Oct-20 16:56:47

It's been lovely, hasn't it Biba? I walked to the shops with some students. We fed the ducks on the way back. So much for being cool teenagers. They got really excited and videoed the ensuing mêlée.

25Avalon Fri 30-Oct-20 18:11:37

Quite right Esspee I should have done more research - slap on the wrists. You put the mushrooms in natural sunlight and they will absorb Vitamin D. If you then dry them then Vitamin D content lasts a year. So windowsill not much good unless outside ledge and not much chance of sun this time of year. At least not here in Somerset at the moment with what seems like constant rain.