Gransnet forums

Chat

Help!?

(68 Posts)
phoenix Wed 28-Oct-20 22:35:26

Evening all, having a bit of wobble!

I seem to be (to borrow the phrase) "going gentle into that long dark night", in that I really CBA with make up, clothes (well, of course I wear them, after all I wouldn't want to frighten anybody!) and of course I shower every day, but other than that, well, neh!

So, what can I do to help me "rage, rage against the dying of the light"

Please bear in mind the CBA thing mentioned above.

Puzzler61 Fri 30-Oct-20 15:15:26

I’ve been hacking mine since lockdown Callistemon and see no reason to stop now. I’ve invented a new hairstyle ?‍♀️ ?

Callistemon Fri 30-Oct-20 10:25:26

Puzzler I hacked a bit more off the back yesterday to try to level it up, but holding a mirror in one hand and trying to cut the back with the other isn't easy.

Oopsadaisy4 Thu 29-Oct-20 23:45:21

I don’t know about anyone else, but when somebody rings the bell and shouts ‘OK everybody , back to normal’ I hope I’m given a few days notice to sort myself out, because my CBA’d mode will take some time to shake off.

Puzzler61 Thu 29-Oct-20 17:47:12

This is off topic a bit.
Callistemon my friend told me one day in lockdown that she had cut her own fringe. It was well wonky when I saw her next day and I was wondering how to tell her when she said “I lost my glasses a week ago and I still can’t find them.
That explained it, but I’ve no idea why she decided it would be a good idea to take scissors to her fringe “blind” - she could have had her eye out!!
I’m wearing clean clothes - they have to be comfy. I like clean hair but I’m cutting it myself (lots of money saved).
I don’t wear makeup. My only cosmetic is a lipstick and there is no point in putting any on to go out as a mask has to be worn and it ends up smudged inside the mask.
?
It’s good to make light of all this but for anyone who knows the signs and thinks they are sliding into depression, please seek help. Let family or a friend know you’re down and talk to gransnet friends for support if you’re feeling lonely. There is a lot of understanding, patience and compassion here for you. Don’t let it overwhelm you.

Eviebeanz Thu 29-Oct-20 17:28:32

My teenage grandson once told me "I'm awake and I'm dressed, what else do you want" probably in response to raised eyebrows from me about his clothes. Some days that's just about all I can manage - and so on the days when I feel like doing more it feels like a bonus ☺️

Millie22 Thu 29-Oct-20 17:22:17

Love this thread.
I think we all feel about the same really so no-one should be too bothered about having a 'wear what you want' day.

Juliet27 Thu 29-Oct-20 17:07:19

? at your 1982 comment MissAdventure

Juliet27 Thu 29-Oct-20 17:05:05

Seems my H is trying to keep up appearances. He sprayed his hair (what's left of it) and wore aftershave when we went to choose stair carpet!

AGAA4 Thu 29-Oct-20 17:04:08

Good to see so many CBAs on here. My report would read "could do better"

Newatthis Thu 29-Oct-20 17:01:50

Love the above and looking for some ribbon as I type. I think we all CBA at the moment although I do make a little effort when I go out, especially with a little make-up, for me more than anyone! DH always notices and tells me I look nice so it's worth it.

farview Thu 29-Oct-20 16:48:44

My clothes also are on rotation..same couple of pairs of Jean's,t-shirts,knickers ...etc...but noticed this morning that t-shirts and knickers now have small holes in them...because wear,wash,wear wash...and they have been going back on top of the stuff in the drawers ..so since march I've rotated 2 of everything ??...time to whizz them...?

grannyrebel7 Thu 29-Oct-20 11:30:34

Got to have my eyebrows on! I look like Silas from the Da Vinci Code otherwise!

Daisymae Thu 29-Oct-20 11:28:12

I bought some great jumpers in the January sales and have started to wear them for walking the dog. I'm sure that I used to go out to nice places, seems a vague memory now. Dog's remains unimpressed.

Nannan2 Thu 29-Oct-20 11:24:58

Glad we are all in same boat- every day i wake with 'big plans' well, reasonable plans, but realise i too cant be ar**d! And do something more relaxing instead! And definitely not 'dressed up' to do it.Even any 'going out' is put off as long as is possible! The situation we are in is definitely contributing to this,as everyday is mostly the same for a lot of us, nowhere to (dare) go,no one to see..etc..

Nannan2 Thu 29-Oct-20 11:18:40

MawB2- hilarious!grin??

maddyone Thu 29-Oct-20 11:18:00

Maw gringringrin

Blossoming Thu 29-Oct-20 11:07:58

Pittcity the face pack and hair mask are part of my ‘me time’, along with a foot spa and pedicure. It’s arguable if it makes me look better, but it definitely makes me feel better to spend a little time on myself.

Pittcity Thu 29-Oct-20 10:51:14

I am living in joggers and jumpers with no bra.
DH has had the dreaded isolate notice and so will spend a week in his PJs.
Because he is invading my space I spent an hour with a facepack and hair mask this morning.... I feel lovely but nobody will notice!

Callistemon Thu 29-Oct-20 10:47:12

My hair is shocking since I took the scissors to it the other day, but, looking on the bright side, I saved £45.
I really need new specs though.

Those two things could be connected!

Luckygirl Thu 29-Oct-20 10:35:50

Yup - another CBA here. But in my case it is quite longstanding.

I do not even shower every day - lots of hair which is a pain to dry - but I do wash. No-one has turned their noses up at me yet.

I wear jeans all the time; and change the top portion every week or so - I do change the undergarments and wash.

I decided long before covid that people would have to take me as they find me - I have never worn make-up, high heels, tight skirts, suits, stockings etc.

Hope you will be feeling brighter soon Phoenix - I have had a serious glooms episode on the last week needing GP input - sometimes life just feels full of ordure. Hang on in there. flowers

Callistemon Thu 29-Oct-20 10:31:22

Am I the only person here keeping up appearances ?

Good morning Hyacinth. ?

I do put on makeup if I'm going out but we're locked down at the moment. And I do struggle with my hair every day to try to tame it!
I haven't resorted to jogging bottoms yet except when gardening.

Chewbacca Thu 29-Oct-20 10:27:39

My glasses are 5 years old. One of the arms is bent because I sat on them and so I look like Eric Morecambe when I wear them. The colour is chipped off the bridge and arms and they generally look knackered. But I only need them for driving and as I'm not doing that very much these days, they'll do. Another £150 saved.

petra Thu 29-Oct-20 10:07:11

Am I the only person here keeping up appearances ?
I don't put make up on if I'm not going out. But I do dress naice even if at home. I dress well when I work in the charity shop.
I've had new glasses this year. I still have my nails done. I use my teethe whitening kit. And no, I don't look like someone from Towie ?
A few weeks ago I was so fed up with my thinning hair that I went to a salon in Southend to buy a wig. It's gorgeous.

ExD Thu 29-Oct-20 10:02:31

The quotation actually goes

Do NOT go gentle into that dark night
Old age should burn and rave at close of day
Rage rage against the dying of the light .....

We had to learn it as school, it was from Dylan Thomas to his father who was going blind (I can't see how such advice helped the poor man who's light as dying can you?) He's telling the old man not to accept his inevitable blindness and not to go gentle in accepting it. Rather pointless as there was no treatment for him.

I do agree it's doing us good to let our skin go makeup-less and not to have to bother dressing up. Its making me look at clothes and makeup as gifts for Christmas though - weird I should want to buy them for others but not for myself.

Callistemon Thu 29-Oct-20 09:51:36

midgey

There is a particular charity that really wants formal work clothes, so that women can be appropriately dressed for interviews etc. Sorry I don’t know what it’s called.

Yes, I remember that Meghan D of Sussex had something to do with it.