Gransnet forums

Chat

Heated Throws

(51 Posts)
DanniRae Thu 29-Oct-20 07:35:22

Although we have central heating sometimes during the evening my legs get a bit chilly. I am thinking of getting a Heated Throw from Lakeland. They are lovely, snuggly blankets which heat up as well.
Has anyone got one? - are they as good as they sound? They are quite expensive but worth it if they are as good as they say.
Thanks

Thoro Thu 29-Oct-20 07:45:44

I had one in my last (rather draughty) house. Loved it and can highly recommend. You do need an electric socket nearby to plug it into but other than that (and drifting off to sleep as it’s so cosy!) they’re great.

Esspee Thu 29-Oct-20 07:49:45

Wouldn’t a fleece do an equally good job? Although on the odd occasions I have back pain it would be a help.

Flossieturner Thu 29-Oct-20 08:04:27

I love mine. DH is always warm and I am always cold, so we Don’t need to put the central heating on. I have arthritis and the warmth of the blanket really relieves the pain.

Grannynannywanny Thu 29-Oct-20 08:07:03

I have a normal fleecy throw I use in the evenings to reduce the times I need the heating on. I find that works well and occasionally it’s too warm. I think I’d feel far too warm under a heated one. I’d probably fall asleep and never see an entire episode of anything on tv. Or worse still, I’d nod off with a cuppa and the throw would be drenched!
Is it possible to wash them?

PollyDolly Thu 29-Oct-20 08:15:26

Surely, as heat rises, a heated throw over the legs would mostly heat the air space above the legs rather than the legs below?! Sounds like a waste of money to me and I'd rather not have anything electrical anywhere near my body ?⚡️, I much prefer an ordinary fleece throw.

DanniRae Thu 29-Oct-20 08:46:35

Grannynannywanny - the one I have been looking at can be washed and tumble dried.

Spangler Thu 29-Oct-20 08:53:13

The problem with any sort of leg cover, heated or not, our cats would soon adopt ownership. We have a couple of small, oil filled radiators on wheels, they are efficient and economical, perfect for heating a small area.

aggie Thu 29-Oct-20 08:54:13

I crochet throws and lap blankets , I can recommend them , I am too warm , especially when said article is nearly finished!

Sparklefizz Thu 29-Oct-20 09:01:16

I've got a lovely washable fake fur throw I bought from Amazon a few years ago. It's wonderful in the winter in order to keep the heating down, and my cat loves to curl up on the bit that pools on the floor.

lemongrove Thu 29-Oct-20 09:05:08

Dunelm sell lovely throws ( callled teddybear) for only £8 in a range of colours.Very warm and cosy, wash and dry quickly.

Grannynannywanny Thu 29-Oct-20 09:12:03

DanniRae thanks for the idea. My brother has a big birthday coming up and you’ve given me an idea for his present. He feels the cold and would probably love one.

Doodledog Thu 29-Oct-20 10:42:28

I have one, and it was lovely. It was huge, fluffy and I felt so cosy snuggling under it. It cost over £100, but I saw that as an investment in something that would last for winter after winter.

It didn't. It had a fully customisable control unit (again, great, as you could set it to a range of heat settings and tell it to switch off after a pre-arranged number of minutes), but this was obviously heavier than the material of the blanket itself, and it developed a hole, exposing the wiring underneath. This could have been because of sitting on it, or whatever, but only I used it, and I was careful with it, so it wasn't because of heavy use or negligence.

Anyway, I tried to fix it with both sewn repairs and then fabric glue, but nothing worked, and I'm now a bit reluctant to use it. Its lovely looks are spoiled, and I'm a bit uneasy about the fact that the wires are visible, in case I burn my skin or there is a fire risk. Much as I would love another one, I can't see how I could prevent that from happening again.

jacq10 Thu 29-Oct-20 11:05:27

I purchased a lovely dark brown velvety one for my DH around 3yrs ago when he was poorly as even in the summer he felt chilly when housebound. Absolutely brilliant. I used it last when DGS was off school with heavy cold and feeling sorry for himself and he loved it. I may well be using it myself this winter as spending so much time in the house!! Will pm details.

Blossoming Thu 29-Oct-20 11:33:29

Doodledog you should have returned it, it sounds like it was faulty as that shouldn’t have happened no matter how often you used it.

DanniRae Thu 29-Oct-20 11:51:59

Doodledog - Sorry to hear about your heated throw troubles. I agree with Blossoming you should have returned it. If it came from Lakeland they would have definitely replaced it or refunded you the purchase price. Their customer service record is excellent!

Mapleleaf Thu 29-Oct-20 12:31:39

Doodledog, you don't say how long you've had the throw, but if it was from Lakeland, they have an automatic 3 year guarantee on everything they sell. Even if you've had it longer than that, and you got it from Lakeland or any other well known company, I think you should try and contact them and explain what has happened, sending a photo if possible. It does sound faulty, and shouldn't have worn in the way you describe. That's a lot to spend on something that is proving to be unfit for purpose. Good luck.

Jane10 Thu 29-Oct-20 20:36:54

Thanks for this. One of these sounded like a great present for DD who is a 'cauld tattie' (translation: person who feels the cold). I asked her if she fancied one for her birthday and she jumped at it. Sorted!

Doodledog Thu 29-Oct-20 21:46:00

Thanks, Blossoming, DanniRae and Mapleleaf. I got the throw on Amazon, but I think the fact that I tried to repair it would invalidate the guarantee. I have still got it, but I rarely use it because of the hole - I should throw it away really, but I'm reluctant to do so because it was expensive blush.

mokryna Fri 30-Oct-20 00:46:06

They sound lovely to have so I went onto the Lakeland site and chose one, but they don’t deliver that particular one to the France.☹️

welbeck Fri 30-Oct-20 00:58:07

i like the idea of the teddy-bear throw.
perfect for a picnic.
or to roll myself up in on a winter's night.
thanks for that infor, lemongrove.
i could never relax with anything electric of that ilk.

Katyj Fri 30-Oct-20 05:29:39

Hi, I bought my mum one from cozee home from qvc she loves it. They have a two month money back guarantee at the moment too. Think it cost around £45.

Flossieturner Fri 30-Oct-20 08:45:57

@mokryna I got mine from Amazon, I am sure they deliver to France.

mokryna Fri 30-Oct-20 19:37:09

Flossieturner

@mokryna I got mine from Amazon, I am sure they deliver to France.

Thank you, I will look. However, one from Lakeland with a three year guarantee was recommenced by Mapleleaf, whereas Doodledog had problems with hers from Amazon.

Flossieturner Sat 31-Oct-20 08:04:15

I have had mine for about 3 years . It is the Fineway one, cost just under £40. I use it almost daily and it has been washed several times.