Gransnet forums

Chat

Very very upset

(41 Posts)
FlyingHxndbag Thu 29-Oct-20 18:55:20

Hi all,
I have just had news that my 95 year old Great Auntie who lives in an apartment complex for the elderly, is in hospital with a head injury.
She was in the shower, got out and slipped, causing hit her head on the toilet pan, resulting in a nasty cut on the back of her head.
The warden sent for an ambulance and she was taken to hospital, where she will remain for a couple of days to make sure she's okay.
I'm very very very upset, I don't think I'll sleep much tonight, I'm waiting on everybody going to bed so I can break down. X

FlyingHxndbag Sat 31-Oct-20 17:32:49

Charleygirl5, she has all the marbles she started with, then ones she's accumulated over the years grin.
I'm sorry you have no family, that's so sad. Hugs x

Charleygirl5 Sat 31-Oct-20 17:22:39

Thanks for letting us know. She is obviously in the best place and will hopefully be stronger on discharge having had the extra rest. She is lucky to have reached that age and is still in possession of her marbles. You are fortunate to have such a lovely family- I, unfortunately, have none any longer.

FlyingHxndbag Sat 31-Oct-20 17:17:44

Thanks all, I updated you as soon as I heard, if I hear anything else, I'll let you know. X

petra Sat 31-Oct-20 17:16:01

Oh good. I can stop 'popping in' to see how things are.

cornishpatsy Sat 31-Oct-20 17:07:36

Thanks for the update, I am sure she is being well looked after.

Blossoming Sat 31-Oct-20 17:06:45

Thanks for the update, glad to hear she’s OK x

FlyingHxndbag Sat 31-Oct-20 16:45:54

UPDATE: she's okay but will be in hospital until the middle of next week. X

FlyingHxndbag Fri 30-Oct-20 18:41:36

bikergran, thankyou, she is. I absolutely adore her, she is such a lovely woman. X

bikergran Fri 30-Oct-20 18:30:43

Your Aunty sounds like she is made of strong stuff, hope she soon recovers and is back on her feet

FlyingHxndbag Fri 30-Oct-20 18:27:16

Blossoming, thankyou. I think I feel guilty because I usually worry myself into a sleepless wreck about the most minute of things, so I feel guilty for not doing it over this, I wouldn't have slept if I hadn't been so tired, though.
I mustn't let it spoil my birthday as she would tell me off for worrying about her already, let alone on my birthday. X

Blossoming Fri 30-Oct-20 18:16:54

Don’t feel bad for sleeping, worrying yourself into a sleepless wreck won’t help you or your aunty. Hope she is doing Ok and this doesn’t spoil your birthday.

FlyingHxndbag Fri 30-Oct-20 14:45:30

As far as I know she is okay. I managed to sleep last night but I feel guilty for sleeping. I've been profusely praying for her since I heard and I'm not even massively religious, I do believe but I don't go to chapel, however it makes me feel that I'm doing something to help.
She can't have people to stay as she only has one room. I wish that it was me instead of her. I feel like the worst person in the world because I slept last night and wasn't up all night. Thanks all. X

MawB2 Fri 30-Oct-20 13:59:01

Any news FH? I hope your great aunt had a comfortable night - and that she is home soon.

Blossoming Fri 30-Oct-20 13:00:32

It’s usual for somebody to be monitored for possible concussion or similar problems following a blow to the head. Hope you have some positive news soon.

May7 Fri 30-Oct-20 12:20:34

Hope all is well for your aunt today FH and she can return to her sheltered accommodation soon. She sounds like a remarkable woman. thanks

Charleygirl5 Fri 30-Oct-20 12:13:36

FH I do appreciate for you it was possibly a long, tearful sleepless night but I do hope your lovely aunt had a good night's sleep.

I am in agreement with another GN, a shower stool was superb for me and I even use it when washing my hair. Like yourself, I have balance problems and it changed my life. Your aunt will be less hesitant to shower if she knows she can sit down- and as said before, do not forget about yourself. That could be a birthday gift to self- why not?

Is she being discharged today? Hospitals no longer care about age- a GN had a THR late one Friday evening and was discharged on the Sunday. Could you maybe stay a couple of nights so that she feels safe again? That would be a kind gesture.

OMG I forgot about Covid and forget which tier you are in so it may not be allowed. Does she have a hospital near where she lives? Look after yourself.

anikers Fri 30-Oct-20 05:22:58

I'm sorry to hear about this. I hope both you and your aunt are feeling better.

V3ra Thu 29-Oct-20 23:56:25

It's a nasty shock when someone who's always been there is suddenly vulnerable.
It sounds like she's being well taken care of though.
Try not to fret x

FlyingHxndbag Thu 29-Oct-20 22:46:50

Thankyou so much. X

Callistemon Thu 29-Oct-20 22:44:00

They might be a good idea for you, too, as you're prone to falling.
Useful if anyone has to go into hospital, too.

Callistemon Thu 29-Oct-20 22:42:18

www.scottsofstow.co.uk/mesh-shower-shoes

FlyingHxndbag Thu 29-Oct-20 20:52:49

Thanks both... you're all so kind. X

cornishpatsy Thu 29-Oct-20 20:32:49

Sorry to hear about your Aunty. Hope you get some sleep tonight,things always seem worse when you are tired.

jdga Thu 29-Oct-20 20:29:48

((Hugs)) I hope yr auntie is home safe again asap!

FlyingHxndbag Thu 29-Oct-20 20:05:46

Thanks all. It's my fathers auntie, but he doesn't seem to be upset at all, he isn't the type to get upset. X