Gransnet forums

Chat

Hallowe’en

(7 Posts)
EllanVannin Sat 31-Oct-20 13:00:10

Home-made is always best.
I can remember mum dyeing everything green for brother to wear---as an elf for the school play. Even an old pair of my long white socks for him as they reached up his legs. grin
We also laughed ( to ourselves ) at his get-up.

Halloween we used blackout curtains which had been stored, for cloaks and a cut-down old white sheet with cut-outs for eyes as ghosts and we just floated up and down the garden with our turnip lanterns---frightening ourselves to death grin with the next door neighbours joining in. It was magic and really good fun.

Home-made toffee apples and treacle-toffee for everyone.
The whole lot probably didn't cost more than 10shillings.

Maggiemaybe Sat 31-Oct-20 12:50:04

Home made's best if you're at all creative or handy, and have the time to do it. DGS2 looked fab last year as a robot, resplendent in loads of recycling, including cardboard tubes and some old tumble dryer hose. all for the price of a can of silver spray paint.

Parsley3 Sat 31-Oct-20 12:37:26

In the absence of guising this year the windows in my street are decorated for Halloween and the plan was that the children could come to see them. However, as we are being battered by the storm just now, I doubt that will happen. The best laid schemes, and all that.

ninathenana Sat 31-Oct-20 10:27:21

I agree with home made winning over shop bought.
Having said that, neither I nor my children have ever worn a halloween costume

dragonfly46 Sat 31-Oct-20 08:26:00

We always made our own. Often it was at the last minute so made of stuff we already had. It is amazing what you can do.

FannyCornforth Sat 31-Oct-20 08:19:08

I think that it's often actually more expensive to make your own haute couture outfit rather than off the peg.
I've made lots of my own costumes in the past, modifying what I have already, but even buying bits and bobs and accessories is pricey.
But I agree, home made (as with most things) is best.

Daddima Sat 31-Oct-20 08:11:38

I’ve just seen a picture on Facebook of two children wearing home made outfits! Now, I know the ‘ celebrations’ are restricted to school only, and people can be short of time or artistic talent , but does anybody else think it’s a shame that children can’t get involved in the making of outfits? It’s also more pressure on families where there just isn’t the money to buy from the Disney Store or Amazon.
A couple of years ago I remember there was much muttering at a school function when the first prize was awarded to a child wearing an entirely home made ( with items which were obviously made by the child) witch’s outfit. There were Disney characters by the dozen, as well as every superhero you could think of. I think it’s a shame.