Gransnet forums

Chat

Which stores do you miss?

(118 Posts)
Grandmabeach Tue 03-Nov-20 13:18:47

Sadly many businesses will probably close because of Covid but which ones do you miss from the past? Woolworths? C&A? Dolcis? to name a few.

Liz46 Wed 04-Nov-20 09:56:41

Another vote for BHS. I still have a couple of very old, comfortable BHS bras. I went for a fitting at M&S but still prefer my old BHS ones.

essjay Wed 04-Nov-20 09:58:02

woolies, c and a, lewis's. lewis's in liverpool always had a brilliant grotto at christmas and a lovely restaurant on the top floor, actually there were 2, 1 was a self service and the other waitress service. my nan bought a coat from c and a when pensioners first were given the £10 christmas bonus!

SueLindsey Wed 04-Nov-20 09:58:15

Woolies and BHS. Have still not found anywhere that sells such lovely cardigans as BHS so am still wearing my old ones till they fall apart.

Yangste1007 Wed 04-Nov-20 09:58:48

Bourne and Hollingsworth and Gamages. Also M&S when it was good.

Spec1alk Wed 04-Nov-20 09:59:44

I miss Country Casuals or CC as they were branded before they disappeared from the high street.

JessK Wed 04-Nov-20 10:01:35

Definitely Woolworths, They used to sell a bit of everything at reasonable prices.
Not sure if it's true but think I read somewhere recently that they are going to open stores again.

annodomini Wed 04-Nov-20 10:06:20

C&A; Richard Shops usually had just what I wanted at a decent price.

Ampersand Wed 04-Nov-20 10:18:25

I miss the London department stores such grand names
Marshall & Snelgrove, Dickens & Jones, Bourne & Hollinsworth, Debenham & Freebody. The current Debenhams is nowhere like the original.
The other shop I miss is the Biba which moved into the building previously occupied by Derry & Toms

polnan Wed 04-Nov-20 10:24:07

I will be brave and share a memory I have with you all, of

Woolworths..

remember I am getting on in years,, so guessing, must have been not long after the war ended (NO WW2! anyway sniggering there)

I was with my best friend, and woolworths then, yes wooden floors, but the square(ish) counters, all surrounded the assistant... remember? my friend and I were walking around the sweet counter, deciding what we could afford I guess, and there was a man.. yes, flashing.... we giggled and quickly walked .... yes, around and around to see him again... I think he had disappeared though...

never forget that..

grandtanteJE65 Wed 04-Nov-20 10:30:46

C&A and Woolworth still exist in Germany.

Something to look forward to when covid 19is a thing of the past.

gulligranny Wed 04-Nov-20 10:30:50

Polnan, I remember Woolworths having those wooden flours and square counters - there was a particular smell about our local Woolies that was very comforting.

Like others I also miss C&A and Littlewoods, but also food shops like MacFisheries and little independent haberdashers where you could buy knitting wool, ribbon, buttons and (ahem) "female necessities" ....

Quaver22 Wed 04-Nov-20 10:33:43

I really miss Country Casuals. I could always find something that fitted me in their petite range. I am 5’ 2”with short arms! Not many brands cater for us shorties. Their trousers were such good quality they lasted for years.
I also miss Laura Ashley and House of Fraser before Mike Ashley filled it with sports wear.

alisonsmith4 Wed 04-Nov-20 10:39:47

Woolies definitely - worked on broken biscuits counter on a Saturday for £1 per week! Also Clements in Watford, an old family department store,

Nannytopsy Wed 04-Nov-20 10:40:43

I loved Beatties in Wolverhampton too! I used to pass it every day on the way to school. It was the only place to buy our uniform. The banana milk shake with a swirl of ice cream in the top was to die for!

Toddleo Wed 04-Nov-20 10:41:04

Another BHS vote from me, It was such a great shop, loads of my clothes came from there. We had a nice C&A too.

Although it hasn't disappeared completely, in my town we had a wonderful John Lewis which has closed, and that has left a massive dent in the shopping centre. We have lost our Debenhams too, although I appreciate if I travel a few miles away they still operate.

Nannytopsy Wed 04-Nov-20 10:41:21

In their cafe, that was!

FannyCornforth Wed 04-Nov-20 10:55:00

NannyTopsy - I used to have the pistachio milkshake!
Sooo sophisticated...
I also remember the ladies who would model the latest fashions in the cafe.
Happy, comforting times.

Bellanonna Wed 04-Nov-20 11:05:47

Lyons Corner House

leeds22 Wed 04-Nov-20 11:06:28

As a teenager I used to occasionally go to Marshall & Snelgrove in Leeds. I thought the staff were really posh and snooty and I think the only thing I ever bought was a tin of dressmaking pins - I’ve still got it. I’ve also got one of their hat boxes, inherited from mil.

ayse Wed 04-Nov-20 11:09:16

I loved Beatties in Wolverhampton and the staff were so helpful. They also had a great selection of beautiful underwear.

Harrington’s in Brighton was a really pricey store right by The Lanes. Granny didn’t go there but up to Bellmans. My school uniform came from Bellmans as well. Granny used to shop in the North Lanes where there were loads of small provision shops. Woolies was great for cover versions of pop music and the sweet counter was great.

My favourite shop as a teen was C&A. I had some great clothes from there. In more recent years British Home Stores was my go to place for underwear.

These days I go shopping as little as possible and no longer have a go to shop for the basics in life. I probably have enough clothes to see me through. These days The Works is my go to place for crafty stuff and books for my grandchildren.

mancgirl Wed 04-Nov-20 11:18:18

Marshal and Snelgrove in Manchester was considered by my mum to posh to even go through the door! There was a Henry's and a Lewis's that we used to visit though, along with good old C&A which I love to visit when in Spain.

Nannytopsy Wed 04-Nov-20 11:21:08

There is still a C&A in the Cite d’Europ in Calais.

Justwidowed Wed 04-Nov-20 11:30:13

Mc Fisheries for the vast selection of sea food and Ethel Austin for the wide range of clothes. I now find that Asda has a good choice of clothes at very reasonable prices.

Clevedon Wed 04-Nov-20 11:38:21

Woolies and BHS........soooo much

cornishpatsy Wed 04-Nov-20 11:45:15

We have lost our Debenhams. I am sure I read that Woolworths were coming back to the high street.