Gransnet forums

Chat

Anyone else suffer from lockdown cravings?

(59 Posts)
dontmindstayinghome Thu 05-Nov-20 16:15:07

Am I the only one who gets cravings when lockdown begins?

We are still only a few hours into this 2nd lockdown and already I want cake!

I rarely eat cake and I certainly don't usually get cravings for it (I do get cravings for crisps and occasionally chocolate though)!

I love to bake but always give away any cakes and biscuits as it invariably goes to waste but here I am craving coffee & walnut cake, or moist ginger cake or even plain sponge cake!

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Lupin Fri 06-Nov-20 10:16:50

Having eaten my way through the first lockdown, and emerged a lot fatter, I am trying to ignore my cravings for cake and biscuits. Why, oh why did I read your post and go on to read about Mars Bar cake.
I am trying to recapture the feelings I had when I got my Summer clothes out and couldn't get into them or was bursting out of them.
Ah! That feels better. Back to Michael Mosely and fasting.
Quickly! Bye

1404kiwi Fri 06-Nov-20 10:17:40

Just made Victoria Sponge and Coffee and walnut cakes waiting for them to cool then icing time

mumagain Fri 06-Nov-20 10:34:37

Mug cakes - lots of online recipes- help take the edge of for me

Marydoll Fri 06-Nov-20 10:36:23

MARS BAR CAKE

I tend to use supermarket own brand, much cheaper.

4 Mars bars, or packet of 5 Lidl/Aldi fake Mars bars
3oz block margerine, (must be the hard stuff)
3oz Coco Pops or Aldi/Lidl copycat.
Tbs golden syrup.

Chop the the Bars, add marge and syrup. Melt in 30 sec burst in microwave or over hot water. Beat until there are absolutely no lumps.
Add Coco pops and mix well, you made need to add a little more than the recipe, there should be no residue in the bowl.

Put into an oiled baking tray and set in fridge about 15 mins.

Meanwhile melt two bars of supermarket own brand 100g bars of chocolate I use one milk and one plain. Mix together and cover the cake. Back in fridge to set, then cut into squares.

Highly calorific, bad for your health, but a little is enough.
Think about the diet later!

If you Ctrl P with this post, you should be able to print out the recipe.

Marydoll Fri 06-Nov-20 10:39:20

Here is another Mars recipe, but it must stay in the fridge until you are ready to serve it.

Mars Bar Mousse- serves 4-6

1 “biggest ever” Mars Bar
50g ( 2oz) dark chocolate
1 dessertspoon water
3 medium eggs

Slice the Mars Bar and melt gently with chocolate and water.
Separate the yolks of the eggs and beat the whites to form stiff peaks.
Allow the chocolate to cool a little before adding the yolks.
Beat with a wooden spoon, then fold in the egg whites, incorporating them well into the mixture.
Pour into individual glasses.
Put into fridge (preferably overnight) to set.
Serve with biscuits such as langue de chats.

Alioop Fri 06-Nov-20 10:53:47

I make apple slices I first made in school in Home Economics. I could eat the whole tray, warm out of the oven with cinnamon sugar sprinkled on top. Looks like I'm baking today....

Mumben Fri 06-Nov-20 10:54:12

Yes! Lockdown happened and I baked cheese scones and chocolate muffins! I’ve not done any baking since the last lockdown ! ?

Moggycuddler Fri 06-Nov-20 11:10:08

Jaffa cakes. I always eat the whole pack.

Moggycuddler Fri 06-Nov-20 11:11:04

Mine was custard tarts a while back. Now it's Jaffa cakes.

FannyCornforth Fri 06-Nov-20 11:14:36

Thank you Mary. Sounds delish.

Keeper1 Fri 06-Nov-20 12:26:12

I am craving being on a Jamaican beach

Roxie62 Fri 06-Nov-20 12:50:51

Yes. I am eating cake and I never normally eat cake as regularly as I am now. I stopped drinking alcohol in Oct and carrying on in November to try and lose weight but thats not working due to the cake eating. I especially love home made lemon cake. Yummy.

Dowsabella Fri 06-Nov-20 12:55:48

Thank you, Marydoll thanks. It sounds amazing. I hope you don't mind, but I've added it to my recipe collection suitably attributed to you. I have a trip to Aldi planned this afternoon..... wink

Auntieflo Fri 06-Nov-20 12:55:56

Marydoll, thanks for posting the recipe for your Mars Bar Cake. Hope you are feeling a bit better today.

Sodapop, and FannyCornforth, will be happy now.

(I didn't want to go ahead without permission) ?, and I have been out all morning, and just got back half an hour ago.

I did make some more yesterday, and while it's in the fridge, out of sight, I am not tempted.
Happy mixing and making to you all.
Alioop, your apple slices sound moreish, and what with mention of Coffee and Walnut, and Ginger cakes, I want to bake some soon.

henetha Fri 06-Nov-20 13:05:42

I'm another one for custart tarts. I don't normally eat them due to being borderline diabetic, but keep craving them lately.
So I went to Tesco and bought two. Ate them both in five mintues with a cup of tea. Heaven..
Now I want some more...

wetflannel Fri 06-Nov-20 13:29:50

My downfall is I love baking and I love eating. Oh dear my poor vanishing waistline. Hey ho there is always the New Year to start a diet. Mars bar cake Mmm mm, got to try that.

Musicgirl Fri 06-Nov-20 13:31:53

For me it was hot cross buns and chocolate cookies l craved in the last lockdown. I am intermittent fasting at the moment and no worried about them at all now. Strange.

schnackie Fri 06-Nov-20 13:56:17

I gained two stone in the first lockdown, lost one of them, and now fighting carb urges so I can lose the second one! However I have really been craving cake lately, and may have to give in over the weekend and bake a bit. Thankfully I have neighbours I can give most of it too!

JanT8 Fri 06-Nov-20 15:38:43

Please may I see the Mars bar recipe too ? X

Marydoll Fri 06-Nov-20 15:40:34

Its upthread! ?

Witzend Fri 06-Nov-20 15:44:08

Ha, @lemongrove, we have the same brand of dh! I make 2 dozen at a time, and once they’re cool enough he’ll scoff half a dozen within about 15 minutes.
Admittedly I’m a ? for them too, but not to quite that extent!

Jellybean345 Fri 06-Nov-20 16:25:44

Simples !No baking no get fat.Once somethings lurking in that cupboard /tin it won’t stay there for long keeps being pestered until Houdini’s been!Only two of us.Pheet!Gone!How far can trouser elastic stand it?

Jennyluck Fri 06-Nov-20 16:50:47

Did someone mention coffee and walnut cake ???? Now your talking ???

mokryna Fri 06-Nov-20 17:33:45

Many years ago when I lived in Beijing, I craved after cheese. Before moving there I didn’t like it. Madding. My daughter used to come over every school holiday with some in a suitcase. It did smell and walk out once, when the airline lost the case for a few days.

Alioop Fri 06-Nov-20 20:05:52

Auntieflo they are so easy to make.
200g S.R flour, rub in 100g Marg then add 100g caster sugar. Dice up 2 Bramley cooking apples and add to mixture. Bring all together with an egg and put into a greased tray baking tin. Into oven 180' for 20 mins or until golden brown. I dust with either caster sugar or a mix of caster sugar and cinnamon. You can even add a drop of cinnamon into the mixture before baking. Cut into fingers or squares. Done!