Gransnet forums

Chat

Why don’t Brits like Trump

(114 Posts)
Esspee Fri 06-Nov-20 14:46:55

I have received an enquiry from America asking me to explain why we Brits dislike Trump so much.
I have a list, quite a long list, but wondered if any gransnetters might like to add to it today.

Esspee Fri 06-Nov-20 16:40:59

GillT57. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. What a wonderfully well written piece.
I shall forward that with full attribution and will be looking up more of Nate White’s writing.

Luckygirl Fri 06-Nov-20 16:41:21

My DD pointed out to me that when she was studying psychology she saw an experiment to find out at what age children realise that you have to abide by the rules of games, even if you are losing - it was 7 years. So.....now we know.....Trump is functioning at the level of a 6 year-old.

Callistemon Fri 06-Nov-20 16:46:28

Thank you, GillT57. It's interesting, though, that he had a British mother but can't have inherited much from her.
Is there no beginning to his talents?

eazybee Fri 06-Nov-20 16:57:50

Do the friends in America give the reasons why they do like Trump?

NotSpaghetti Fri 06-Nov-20 17:09:29

Namsnanny

Wonderful Gill57 so glad you went to all that trouble! grin

It does go to show just how disenfranchised the groups who voted for him must feel though.
To ignore all of the above and still feel he is the only one they can trust!

This is so true, so sad, so terrible.

DiscoDancer1975 Fri 06-Nov-20 17:17:13

He’s not a member of the human race. I don’t know what he is. Gill. That was a brilliant piece of writing. I could well believe he/ it was put together in a lab somewhere!

Oopsminty Fri 06-Nov-20 17:21:19

I think Nate hit the nail on the head

But whatever we think of Trump, he had millions of Americans voting for him

More women, ethnic minorities.

He got more votes than he did in 2016

So he is appealing to some people.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 06-Nov-20 17:25:24

gill57 exactly! Brilliant

lemongrove Fri 06-Nov-20 17:35:34

70 million Americans have just voted for DT ( that’s a lot!) and must amaze most people in the UK I should think??
Plenty of Americans can see what he’s like of course.
I don’t know ( there hasn’t been a survey) how many in the UK like him.

M0nica Fri 06-Nov-20 17:42:35

Bear in mind we have Trump-Lite in charge in this country and it was only last year that an awful lot of people voted him in as leader of the Conservative party.

MamaCaz Fri 06-Nov-20 17:47:59

What can I say - Nate White must have read my mind, because he has written exactly what I would have written if only I was as articulate as he clearly is!

lemongrove Fri 06-Nov-20 17:48:01

No we don’t Monica .....that’s a silly phrase trotted out because it sounds fun.
They are both blonde haired and big men....that’s where it ends.
Johnson is a wet liberal compared to Trump.

Bathsheba Fri 06-Nov-20 17:56:50

What a brilliant piece of writing! Thank you gill57, it's spot on.

Juliet27 Fri 06-Nov-20 18:08:28

I sent it to my American friend who said 'Oh soooo true!! Passing this along!!! Thank you so very much!'

paddyanne Fri 06-Nov-20 18:54:15

He had a Scottish mother and apparently she didn't think he was up to much either .

M0nica Fri 06-Nov-20 19:48:48

Lemongrove it goes well beyond the hair. Both are serial liars, both are womanisers. See this link for all the similarities.
www.boredpanda.com/boris-johnson-donald-trump-comparison/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

Parsley3 Fri 06-Nov-20 19:58:12

eu.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/07/11/fact-check-donald-trump-donates-salary-but-he-still-makes-money/5410134002/

Trump is so wealthy that he doesn’t need his salary.

Callistemon Fri 06-Nov-20 19:59:45

paddyanne

He had a Scottish mother and apparently she didn't think he was up to much either .

I read that, too paddyanne.
Apparently he really worried her.

M0nica Fri 06-Nov-20 20:05:42

Parsley that is what he says. I have seen other reports suggesting that his finances are anything but secure, but obviously wealthy , and very wealthy, republican supporters, who have gaines so much in his presidency are more than happy to keep the Trump band wagon running.

Curlywhirly Fri 06-Nov-20 20:14:10

Gill57 I have read that piece before and what a brilliant description of Trump it gives. What I really can't get my head around is how his supporters are oblivious to his numerous faults - how could they possibly not see what is so obvious to others? It is just completely beyond me how anybody could approve of him.

Esspee Fri 06-Nov-20 22:58:57

eazybee

Do the friends in America give the reasons why they do like Trump?

easybee “He is a constant winner and overachiever and that’s what the people who support him like about him. Yes he’s been caught in lies and twisted the truth a little but he’s still out there proving his haters wrong time after time. Some people are jealous of someone who is successful, powerful and has a lot of money. Throw in a hot foreign model at his side and they hate him even more. You may not have wanted him in his role but he’s there now and there’s nothing you can do about it. I know it’s possibly going to get worse over the next several days, but like him or not he has turned the economy around”

Kamiso Fri 06-Nov-20 23:46:43

I understood that the economy picked up because of the actions taken by Obama despite the republicans putting spokes in the wheel at every opportunity.

I shared a meme (Trump with a face like an orange) on Facebook and had my first experience of hate mail from Trump supporters presumably from a cancer support group I belong to.

My OH finds it amusing that I actually shudder when Trump appears on tv especially when they focus on his mouth. Some primeval instinct at play!

TwiceAsNice Sat 07-Nov-20 00:06:46

He is absolutely abysmal in every way. The piece posted was brilliantly written, I agree with every word. What I find so amazing is so many presumably intelligent people voted for him, including many Latino people who he has continually derided. Why I ask myself , how does he get away with it? Please let Biden get in and put a stop to it all.

PageTurner Sat 07-Nov-20 01:19:14

This is the last post I will make on Gransnet.
There have been only a handful of positive posts made about America and Americans since I have been a member.
I don't know why I put up with it as long as I did.
Unfortunately, this thread is beyond the pale.
The hate you so blatantly show for President Trump is absolutely disgusting.
He is a great man who loves his country and millions of Americans know this.
That's why the liberals have been up to their dirty tricks since 2016 to impeach him.
If you've never been to America ,or lived there , you don't have any business saying such disgusting things about our President.
I could say a few things about your government leaders, but I was brought up a bit differently than you were.

CanadianGran Sat 07-Nov-20 01:33:42

PageTurner, before you leave can you explain why you think he is a great man? Most of us really can't see it.