Gransnet forums

Chat

Why don’t Brits like Trump

(114 Posts)
Esspee Fri 06-Nov-20 14:46:55

I have received an enquiry from America asking me to explain why we Brits dislike Trump so much.
I have a list, quite a long list, but wondered if any gransnetters might like to add to it today.

Sallywally1 Sun 08-Nov-20 09:57:19

We also don’t like a bad loser!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 08-Nov-20 09:56:11

I feel that he personifies the things we don't like about our perception of Americans in general. He's loud and full of bluster - all talk but nothing concrete behind it. Just image but no facts.
Not all Americans are the same though - I've worked with a few who were thoughtful and considered in their approach. I imagine they find him an international embarrassment too.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 08-Nov-20 09:02:31

Trump is now an irrelevance

mumofmadboys Sun 08-Nov-20 09:01:14

I fail to see any good qualities in Trump at all. I fail to see how so many Americans like him. He is a truly appalling man. His behaviour now is like a spoilt child. He is a terrible loser.

Elegran Sun 08-Nov-20 08:57:34

Sorry, Esspee, I was attributing to the Original Post without turning back to check whether my quote really was in it - should have looked back. You are quite right not want to be misquoted.

I do wish the original posts were still shown at the head of each page. Much easier to glance back at them. Techy does a lot of small pointless changes like this, instead of the things that we would like altered.

GagaJo Sat 07-Nov-20 23:54:15

Pageturner, I've lived in the US twice. Husband was American, daughter is half American and holds a US passport.

Trump is a neo fascist. Every American I know thinks this, other than one lady.

Please feel free to comment on British leaders. Many of us dislike them as much as we dislike Trump. They are little better.

maddyone Sat 07-Nov-20 23:49:41

Sorry to derail the thread, perhaps better get back to why the British don’t like Trump.

maddyone Sat 07-Nov-20 23:47:00

Monica
Thank you for your response. Of course this thread isn’t really about Hitler but I felt compelled to respond to a post which stated that many Germans knew nothing of the camps. I am fully aware of the facts as you have outlined them in your post, as I have read widely around this particular subject, and indeed have visited many of the historic sites in Germany and Eastern Europe, as well as visiting some outstanding museums devoted to this subject. The Museum of the History of Polish Jews in Warsaw is excellent, but so are many others. I know that facist Germany did not tolerate dissenters and when discovered such people were usually executed. Claus von Stauffenberg is probably the most well known dissenter and of course was executed for his efforts.
The main point is that it is obvious that the German people were aware of what was happening to the Jews and indeed to other persecuted groups, but they chose to close their eyes to what was happening, both because it was safer, but also because the benefits for some were enormous. I think it unlikely that many German civilians knew about the gas chambers, but they certainly knew about the camps because many were situated in Germany, but of course mass killings such the gas chambers were not situated on German soil deliberately. However it has been documented that the Eastern Europeans knew both about gas chambers and about the mass shootings because these events were taking place almost in front of them.

We didn’t know is not an acceptable defence today. They did know!

Esspee Sat 07-Nov-20 23:02:11

Elegran At 8:25 you attributed a statement to me that I most certainly did not make. No doubt a mistake but I wouldn't want anyone to believe it.

M0nica Sat 07-Nov-20 22:36:49

maddyone the answer is that there are none so blind as those who will not see.

Antisemitism was very general in society in Germany and, especially Austria from at least the mid-19th century onwards. On the whole the German people were quite happy to see the Jews disposessed and moved away - and even more so in Austria, they just closed their eyes and minds as to what was happening to them once they left.

We also have to remember that Germany under Hitler was a totalitarian dictatorship. It wasn't just the Jews who were taken away, disabled children and adults, gay men, ministers of religion, political activists who disagreed with Hitler, Uncle Tom Cobbley and all could find themselves arrested in the night and sent to concentration camps. If you wanted to live yourself, you kept quiet and shut your eyes.

Sunny82z Sat 07-Nov-20 21:39:06

Pageturner's rant alarms me in the sense that 70 ish million Americans just don't get it and voted for him again. The President of the USA is the leader of the free world, hence the person in that office affects us all. I remember when he was elected in 2016 thinking God help America and, look at it now. He has devided the country and possibly done long term harm to America's standing in the World. Remember his idea to inject people with bleach to combat covid and his scientific officer squirming in her seat. He is/was a complete moron.

varian Sat 07-Nov-20 19:22:36

I hope that posters like pageturner report back to their Trump supporting friends just how low Trump has dragged the international standing of America.

maddyone Sat 07-Nov-20 19:04:06

Very good post Spaghetti.

Nonetheless, I truly would like to know why so many Americans voted for him.

varian Sat 07-Nov-20 18:53:48

I do hope that people like pageturner will now reflect on the mistakes they have made in supporting Trump.

He is reviled all over the world as having destroyed the reputation of the USA as a decent, law abiding democratic country.

I do hope that President Biden can repair the damage but it may take many years.

M0nica Sat 07-Nov-20 18:07:56

Pageturner I am sorry you feel as you do, but I think the word hate is very much over used to day. Even the slightest dislike of someone, is immediately labelled as a hate crime, when all someone has done is say that someone is a bore or badly educated.

What you need to know is that while Trump has got an enormous support within the USA and has constantly said he will make the US great again. Outside your country, in the rest of the world, he has made the USA a laughing stock and in the Foreign Ministries of most of the countries in the world Foreign ministers and governments have given a sigh of relief when the Pennsylvania result was announced and your country immediately regained its previous stature in world affairs. The only countries sorry to see him go were the bad boys of the world,: North Korea, Saudi Arabia and Israel. the prospects of peace in the Middle East have improved markedly.

You only have to read back up the thread to see how poorly those outside the US have regarded him. Your country deserves so much better.

varian Sat 07-Nov-20 17:14:28

The minority of Americans who still support Trump must learn lessons from history.

maddyone Sat 07-Nov-20 17:08:35

....most of the German people didn’t know what was going on in the camps.....

Where did they think the Jewish people disappeared to? How did they not know after Crystal Night that Jewish people were being persecuted? What did they think when huge bonfires of books were burnt in public places? Why were they happy to accept Jewish businesses being signed over to Aryans, in other words to themselves? Why did they benefit from vacated Jewish properties when Jewish families were deported? What do they think happened to the thousands of Jewish men who were rounded up during Crystal Night? How could the people who lived near the camps such as Bergen Belsen or Dachau (I’ve visited Dachau and I know how near to the town it was) even pretend they didn’t know when they regularly saw work groups walking to work and back in an emancipated state? How could the owners of businesses that benefitted from slave labour even pretend they didn’t know?

Of course the German people knew. They covered their tracks after the war by saying they knew nothing. But they clearly knew and closed their eyes to it.

NotSpaghetti Sat 07-Nov-20 16:56:03

Shrub, I think we were neighbours.

Shrub Sat 07-Nov-20 16:50:29

I agree with M0nica’s DH. I lived in a very rural agricultural Midwest state for a few years. Many country folk had never left the state, even to go to Chicago. The local airport was called International, but only because there were some flights to Canada and Mexico. Fortunately I lived in a very cosmopolitan university city and I enjoyed my time there.

varian Sat 07-Nov-20 16:28:24

I remember being told, some time ago, that only 6% of Americans had a passport. That percentage may now be slightly bigger but it is clear that the majority of Americans know very little about the wider world.

rockgran Sat 07-Nov-20 16:27:25

His behaviour is " just not cricket ".

M0nica Sat 07-Nov-20 16:11:00

DH used to visit the states a lot - and go to some of the backwoods areas, tourists and most business men do not visit and he found many Americans are insular and ignorant in a way we do not have. There is a gullibility and profound lack of knowledge of anywhere outside the USA. Very few had been outside their home state.

Some time in the 1980s there were riots in Egypt and college educated senior managers in his company would not travel across the Atlantic to Europe because the riots in Egypt made it too dangerous. This was before terrorism as we see it now. They had absolutely no idea where Egypt was.

SueDonim Sat 07-Nov-20 12:43:38

Esspee

Is it a sort of cult brainwashing do you think that turns decent ordinary people into the moronic crowds we see adulating political figures of American political parties?

I have never seen this in the U.K.

Germany yes.

A friend wrote this yesterday.

I can't help feeling that the US is like an abused partner of Trump. He has gaslighted them to extreme degrees, tells them he has their best interests at heart, nobody loves them more than he does, only he cares about them, nobody else loves them, and no-one loves them like he does. All the while, punching them where the bruises don't show.

LauraNorder Sat 07-Nov-20 12:40:43

a little light relief

Toadinthehole Sat 07-Nov-20 12:17:33

I’ve just read PageTurner’s post! I rest my case?.