Gransnet forums

Chat

Harry laying a wreath.

(214 Posts)
Namsnanny Mon 09-Nov-20 10:57:47

I read he asked for a representative to lay a wreath at the Cenotaph, but courtiers refused, as he is no longer a representative of the RF.
It was said the Queen wasn't informed.

I do feel sorry for him. Even though he must have given the choice he made considerable thought beforehand.

Does anyone know if perhaps he made a symbolic 'wreath laying' on line?

Obviously thats about all he could do given Coronavirus and his new life!

Namsnanny Thu 12-Nov-20 13:59:01

I think protocol is very important in any organisation, let alone a well oiled machine like the RF.

Would it be acceptable for Donald to represent the USA at any event when he isnt President?
You're either President or you're not. Same goes for the RF.

I prefer to have rules and stick by them.

Harry should have known exactly what leaving the RF entailed.
His advisers would have pointed out the issues.
If he chose to ignore them or think he was entitled to 'different' treatment he has heaped more pain on himself.

As others have said it's not laying a wreath that is the problem, it's the calculated use of such a gesture.

Anniebach Thu 12-Nov-20 12:42:09

What of all members of the armed forces , they too should be
allowed to lay a wreath at the cenotaph,? why Harry

PamelaJ1 Thu 12-Nov-20 12:37:48

nannan2
I wouldn’t think they would have had any say in it.

Nannan2 Thu 12-Nov-20 12:33:45

I still think some are right- it wouldnt have hurt the Queen to allow a wreath to be placed for both Harry and Andrew even if just in memory of some of the men they too had served alongside-and obviously their descendants also- maybe William could have done it?- they might not be 'serving' Royals any more but they are human beings- and previous serving military, its no different to one of the public laying a wreath.

Lesley60 Thu 12-Nov-20 12:03:47

I don’t think many people would have wanted to see Prince Andrew at the cenotaph given what he has been involved in it would have been an insult to our brave forces Past and present

Oopsminty Thu 12-Nov-20 12:03:02

sparklingsilver28

Like everyone else H&M have the right to live as they please. Their choice was to move from the RF and live abroad out of the limelight. If the media left them to get on with it they would soon be forgot and quite frankly not missed.

Well they put the photos out there so clearly want the media to see!

They are doing numerous podcasts and interviews.

I wish they'd just quietly get on with their lives. I agree they wouldn't be missed by many

But they just keep popping up!

Namsnanny Thu 12-Nov-20 11:59:40

Sorry should have put your name in Ellianne

Namsnanny Thu 12-Nov-20 11:58:42

Something puzzles me ...why would MH lay flowers on the grave of a Royal Canadian Artillery soldier?

Apparently there are only 2 commonwealth soldiers buried there.
One Canadian and one Royal Australian Air Force.
Perhaps a reflection of their former position regarding the commonwealth?

Ellianne Tue 10-Nov-20 14:44:53

Good post maddyone especially the final paragraph.
Something puzzles me. Why would Meghan choose to lay flowers from her garden on the grave of a soldier from the Royal Canadian Artillery? The Queen is actually Commander General of that regiment and Prince Charles laid her wreath at the Cenotaph.

maddyone Tue 10-Nov-20 13:49:55

So control of what was released I guess.

I said before, I noted the absence of Prince Andrew and Prince Harry on Sunday at the Cenotaph. I would have been very surprised if either had been there. They have opted out of public duties for very different reasons. Andrew was pushed, Harry jumped voluntarily. The Queen made it very clear that Harry and Meghan can’t be half in, half out. They had to choose, stay in and do public duties, or leave and do no public duties. They chose to leave. At that point their public duties ceased.
Harry is free to mark Rememberance Day in any way he chooses, except to choose to publicly have a wreath laid at the Cenotaph. I’m surprised, given the terms that Harry left the Royal Family on, that anyone would expect him to have a wreath laid there, as that ceremony is performed by the Royal Family, politicians, and Armed Services in order to represent us all. They represent the nation. Other people are free to lay a wreath or a poppy or whatever in rememberance at other war memorials around the country. Harry doesn’t represent the nation now.

It is my opinion that Harry and Meghan’s decision to take a celebrity photographer with them was unwise. It has opened them up to the type of public discussion that is happening here, and it has made them appear to be using Rememberance for their own ends, which is, at best, undignified, and detracts from the real purpose of Rememberance.

sparklingsilver28 Tue 10-Nov-20 13:45:39

Like everyone else H&M have the right to live as they please. Their choice was to move from the RF and live abroad out of the limelight. If the media left them to get on with it they would soon be forgot and quite frankly not missed.

Ellianne Tue 10-Nov-20 13:31:12

Trisher I think you have used the operative word here.

Have a professional and you have absolute control of the photos.

Smileless2012 Tue 10-Nov-20 13:28:35

"and people would have come down on him like a ton of bricks for doing nothing" why would they?

I agree eazybee "If they stopped making so many public announcements about themselves most people would not give them a second thought, in Britain anyway" so, no one would have wondered if and in what way, they decided to mark the day.

Anniebach Tue 10-Nov-20 13:24:18

Yes Lucca and will say it again ,

‘How much lower will they sink for publicity , they disgust me ‘

merlotgran Tue 10-Nov-20 13:22:56

But if they had not taken a cameraman with them no-one would have known he did it!

grin grin

Lucca Tue 10-Nov-20 13:01:41

Luckygirl

But if they had not taken a cameraman with them no-one would have known he did it! - and people would have come down on him like a ton of bricks for doing nothing! They simply cannot win.

Another lone voice in The wilderness.

Lucca Tue 10-Nov-20 13:00:58

Anniebach

How much lower will they sink for publicity, surely nothing
lower than posing among graves , now they disgust me .

Yes, you said.

eazybee Tue 10-Nov-20 12:57:51

But if they had not taken a cameraman with them no-one would have known he did it! - and people would have come down on him like a ton of bricks for doing nothing! They simply cannot win

Why would we need to know that they did it? They have asked to be private people, therefore their actions are for themselves alone. And Meghan's awfully good at suing for infringements of her privacy.
If they stopped making so many public announcements about themselves most people would not give them a second thought, in Britain anyway.

Oopsminty Tue 10-Nov-20 12:55:51

Anniebach

The photograph trisher kindly posted ! Was of the queen
on an official visit to France for the 50th anniversary of
D Day 6th June ,

Thank you Anniebach!

Anniebach Tue 10-Nov-20 12:54:29

The photograph trisher kindly posted ! Was of the queen
on an official visit to France for the 50th anniversary of
D Day 6th June ,

Oopsminty Tue 10-Nov-20 12:41:13

Luckygirl

But if they had not taken a cameraman with them no-one would have known he did it! - and people would have come down on him like a ton of bricks for doing nothing! They simply cannot win.

I don't understand this reasoning

Had Harry not cropped up I'd not have thought he was dreadful at all

He's opted for a private life which I fully respected. He's the one that's changing the rhetoric

I doubt very much that people would have come down on him like a tons of bricks

Most people don't really care about them!

Oopsminty Tue 10-Nov-20 12:38:53

Should have gone to Specsavers

Is that Princess Anne?

She represents the RF as well

Luckygirl Tue 10-Nov-20 12:38:38

Anniebach Tue 10-Nov-20 12:37:03

No longer choosing not to be at the Cenotaph, big difference to not able to be at the Cenotaph.

Oopsminty Tue 10-Nov-20 12:36:50

Had they not taken a photographer with them they ran the risk of being snapped and followed by some chancing paparazzi. Given Harry's history I would think that's the last thing he could stand.

How on earth would taking their own photographer stop some chancing paparazzi from taking photos?

That's the thing with paparazzi ... they don't tend to care

As for posting the photo of the Queen?

What are you trying to say? Sorry, but I'm not sure I understand your point

The Queen is Head of State for many countries.

It's what she does

Harry opted out, which is fine. If only he could remember that this is what he wanted.

He doesn't represent the RF.