Gransnet forums

Chat

Mary Wollstonecraft statue

(148 Posts)
FarNorth Tue 10-Nov-20 14:08:59

After 10 years of fund raising, a statue of Mary Wollstonecraft has been created.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-54886813

M0nica Sun 22-Nov-20 08:59:34

It looks like those cheap souvenirs you see on tat tourist stalls in tourist honey pot cities. perhaps she was hoping that is what it would become.

Loislovesstewie Sun 22-Nov-20 06:07:21

It's just ugly; if ever a statue needs to be toppled this one has to be it.
Could she not have made a statue that looked noble?
I'm particularly disappointed as a woman is the artist, it seems we can't have a female statue that doesn't sexualize the subject.

FannyCornforth Sun 22-Nov-20 04:15:31

Looking at Riverwalk's photograph - the entire little figure looks masculine.

grumpa - the pudendum, not the hair. If you look at the shape in RW's photo you will see that the form looks more like male genitalia

hollysteers Sun 22-Nov-20 03:56:41

Looks like Maggie is either losing her touch or getting lazy as it looks to me just like a Rodin statue.
The figure would work better for MW with a classical robe (as mentioned before) or diaphanous drapes. The statue with books is more to the point, if conventional.
Deedaa, many women young and old, still have their pubic hair (me included), so no need for the past tense.

grumppa Sat 21-Nov-20 23:20:13

I can’t see what’s so masculine about the statue’s pubic hair, Riverwalk, but I haven’t made a study of the subject.

Callistemon Sat 21-Nov-20 22:21:14

Bathshe

I think her pubic hair resembles a cabbage

I thought it was more like broccoli.

Bathshe Sat 21-Nov-20 21:36:25

I think her pubic hair resembles a cabbage

FarNorth Sat 21-Nov-20 21:31:50

Riverwalk you haven't actually said what you like about it.
And do you think it is a good memorial to, or for, Mary Wollstonecraft?

Riverwalk Sat 21-Nov-20 18:47:20

Unfortunately, the pudendum looks masculine.

Iam64 Sat 21-Nov-20 18:41:55

Yes Deedaa,that raised a smile from me

Deedaa Sat 21-Nov-20 18:36:51

As Victoria Coren Mitchell said on HIGNFY at least it gives girls a chance to see that women used to have pubic hair.

Riverwalk Sat 21-Nov-20 16:38:11

Well, I finally went to see it in the flesh today - my sister lives nearby.

I have to say despite myself I rather like it - the lower part seems to be an amalgam of female shapes and it's interesting to see it from all angles, walking around.

I still don't quite 'get' the tiny figure of a woman, but if you can enlarge the photo you'll see it's quite, despite the pert breasts, androgynous - sort of Germanic and echoes of Leni Riefenstahl.

Semiruralgirl Thu 19-Nov-20 09:51:39

Forget the reason for the artwork, a very laudable ambition, the artwork itself is atrocious, and the ‘Barbie’ doll attached to the top does absolutely nothing for the sculpture or for Mary Wollstonecraft or her beliefs and ideals. Take a look at the statue in Kensington Gardens of Peter Pan, which must be on a similar scale. It is beautiful, simple, elegant, yet saying everything...... By the way , I think Maggie Hambling’s Shell sculpture in Aldeburgh is very beautiful.

gulligranny Mon 16-Nov-20 15:40:47

I quite like Maggi Hambling and I really love "The Scallop! on Aldeburgh beach but this one - no. The image of a small head of broccoli in the pubic region (some journalist used that likeness) will not allow me to take the whole thing seriously even if I wanted to, which I don't.

FarNorth Mon 16-Nov-20 09:50:36

Leaving aside its relevance, or not, to Mary Wollstonecraft and looking at it as the 'Everywoman emerging from a mass of females' idea that it's apparently meant to be - I still think it's rubbish, both in the idea of everywoman being naked and in the way it's been done.

FannyCornforth Mon 16-Nov-20 09:44:35

M0nica I absolutely agree.
It is very poorly executed.
The hair is awful; the boobs are awful; the face is awful.
It doesn't have a single redeeming feature.
MH has clearly lost it.

M0nica Mon 16-Nov-20 09:18:52

As well as all the problems with the statue and its nakedness, on which I posted earlier. The more I look at this sculpture, the more I think it is just a poor piece of art. The base is too heavy and bulky and the statue on the top is actually disproportionately small. Its the sort of work, at table top height you see in local amateur art exhibitions ore produced by less gifted A level Art students.

Galaxy Sat 14-Nov-20 21:33:36

Thanks for that farnorth.

Elrel Sat 14-Nov-20 21:23:12

Birmingham’s Bull regularly gets dressed for special occasions.
Re MW statue, I have to agree with the comment ‘Barbie on a kebab’. Disappointing, an opportunity missed.

Alexa Sat 14-Nov-20 21:07:24

The convention is to dress awesome people in togas and the classic symbolism would have done just fine for her.

NanKate Sat 14-Nov-20 20:36:56

It seems to me the statue has an androgynous head with an idealised female form. The last thing MW would have wanted IMO was a sexualised statute representing her. It detracts from everything she believed in.

FarNorth Sat 14-Nov-20 17:53:36

There is now a crowd funder for the Martin Jennings statue to be created and placed in another location.

www.crowdfunder.co.uk/statue-for-mary-wollstonecraft?fbclid=IwAR2plQicb0wg14NMbtAI5RVYfLQ4FZ4zKIw8Nd16E7AAULcZMEyDUfMzHtE

Cs783 Sat 14-Nov-20 09:27:35

Strikes me that the swirling+physical sculpture completely misses the overwhelmingly fierce analytical reasoning I’m finding in MW’s ‘Vindication’.

Glad to find myself looking for and at loved sculptures of women now though thanks to another gransnet thread

trisher Fri 13-Nov-20 22:37:00

How many know that Eros is really the Shaftesbury memorial fountain? How many know who Shaftesbury was? At least Eros is a recognisable figure. This statue will neither remind people about Wollstonecraft nor be named .

Iam64 Fri 13-Nov-20 22:00:19

allsortsofbags, If you are missing the point it seems you're in good company.