Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Monday

(77 Posts)
12Michael Mon 16-Nov-20 06:10:05

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark looks like its rained again ,and cold out as well .
Today , later this morning pick up my prescriptions from thr chemist .
And after lunch , I will stand in the main street ,and wait for a funeral cortege to pass to pay my respects to someone who has known from being a kid.
After that snooze ,and watch TV .
Take Care,
Mick

readalot Mon 16-Nov-20 16:08:22

Hi grandmattie. I wish I lived near you . You could make me a cake any day and I wouldn't refuse it. Just think it's their loss

EllanVannin Mon 16-Nov-20 13:38:04

GrandMattie, that made me laugh----old farts gringrin

Not funny from your end though.

grandMattie Mon 16-Nov-20 12:07:48

Nortsat, regarding my baking - our neighbours are all old farts, not especially friendly. The family opposite are so up themselves that when I once offered them a lovely iced chocolate cake, I was told very firmly by their pompous teenage daughter that they were all on a diet! What a pit down from one so young! She’ll go far, alienating well intentioned people... Red face from me and a vow never to speak to her if I could! I haven’t yet....
Meanwhile, the lovely cheerful school kids are more deserving. Their chatter and youth does cheer me up.

EBear Mon 16-Nov-20 12:00:52

Good morning from a breezy but dry Norfolk.

Love reading this thread but rarely post but today Susan56 you have struck a cord with me, being in the same situation regarding mothers also for 60 odd years.

Loved reading all the comments, must be enough of us to start a non stop thread!

hope everyone has a good a day as possible.

Stilllearning Mon 16-Nov-20 11:51:48

Morning all from S Lanarkshire, the weather can’t make up its mind in my patch. Sorry for your loss Mick and good wishes to everyone having a difficult time today, sometimes you just feel overwhelmed these days but I think the mutual support on here feels really genuine and I hope it helps.
Lovely to see good news for Gelisajams and Lins1066
Smart move re wrapping baubles, glad you mentioned it as it usually occurs to me that it ‘would have been a good idea’ when it’s too late.
I loved my 15 minutes actually seeing my wee ones yesterday even at a distance, now to see what tomorrow brings.

CherryCezzy Mon 16-Nov-20 11:32:51

A good late morning to you all from a grey and drizzly Gower.

I didn't wake up until almost 10am this morning blush.
I slept for Wales I think ?.
Not a lot planned today, a bit of this and that and my usual group quiz is the sum of it.

Good to know that the dog didn't undo Mr Lins' treatment Lins, what a relief that is ?

Sorry that your mum has been so damn difficult, again, Susan and caused you a sleepless night ???

Hope you manage the injection Marydoll and it gives you some relief ?

Counting the sessions down dragonfly, take it easy when you return home ?

It must be a relief that the bulk of the work on the ceiling has been done Grammaretto, now the easy unpleasant bit of paying the bill. I hope that the bath/lift is delivered and your DH can have a soothing bath ?

Wise words from Grandmafrench to you grandMattie. Never ever feel 'ashamed' of yourself, because you are otherwise in good health, when the black dog pays a visit. A struggle with a mental health issue is every bit as much a health issue as a physical health one. If you are struggling and suffering you are struggling and suffering, there is no difference and there are no ° to suffering. You are important, you can share with us, we are there for you, we care ?

Try to find at least one ? today everyone ❤️

Blossoming Mon 16-Nov-20 11:12:44

Good morning all. It was stormy here in Preston overnight and it’s looking very gloomy. Not feeling too motivated today, need to sort out some hospital appointments so I’d best get on with that. Luckily I can do it by email which is easier than using the phone for me. I think I’ll do some sewing.

Marydoll your post made me smile, I’m still growing into my last school blazer.

Gwenisgreat1 Mon 16-Nov-20 11:08:49

Good Morning all from breezy with a touch of sun, Harrogate.
Make that quadruplets!! My mother was what nightmares are made of, but it was all my fault (apparently)!!! 'nuff said.

Marydoll, you should be first in the queue for the covid vaccine!! I'll probably be third. Won't it be wonderful when life is back to 'normal'??

Not much doing here, shall give school friend a video call.

Keep safe and well folks - tomorrow is another day.

CaroleAnne Mon 16-Nov-20 11:06:56

Good morning all from a very grey Warminster.
MICK. I expect that you will have many cherished memories as you await the cottage to pass by. Thinking about you with your memories Carole.flowers

Taichinan Mon 16-Nov-20 11:00:56

Good morning, Good Morningers, from an Angus coast which has sunshine and blue skies. What a joy after nearly a week of unremitting fog and then rain. Warms the cockles of your heart, so it does!

A busyish day ahead, but after not falling asleep until after 4.15 and sleeping until nearly 9.30 I'm running behind myself now. So I 've only scanned a couple of posts and will read the rest later. Mick, sorry for your loss - it's hard when the friends of our youth start passing, isn't it ?. That TTFN took me way, way back, Pants, to my early teens and Radio Luxembourg, which I was allowed to listen to in the diningroom by myself. Jimmy Young had recorded his version of "Unchained Melody" and I would curl up in an armchair waiting for it to be played - which it always was! Happy days. Nothing at all to report from here. Yesterday was a "nothing" day except for a few Family WhatsApps along the lines of "What can we do about Christmas?". Obviously no decisions can be reached so as I say, it was a nothing sort of day. Today is a spending sort of day as I have already paid the window cleaner (who also cleared the gutters) and I shall also pop down to the garage and pay for my MOT that was carried out last week. Tomorrow is haircut day. It's an exciting life up here!

Enjoy your day everyone, and as usual thoughts to those who are suffering in any way and hopes that today can be a better day for you. Stay safe everyone ???

readalot Mon 16-Nov-20 10:50:44

Good morning Mick. Condolences to you and your friends family. It's not a bad day in my part of Co. Durham. I'm trying to get motivated to go shopping. I've got as far as running the bath. Can't seem to be bothered these day's

hulahoop Mon 16-Nov-20 10:41:25

Morning from a very bright w/Yyorks ,out for a walk with friend this morning .then housework this afternoon stay safe everyone .

Auntieflo Mon 16-Nov-20 10:39:20

Good morning Mick, Annie, and all.
First off, flowers for Annie, bless her, she always says Good morning to me, and has done for ages now. It is much appreciated.
Grandmattie, sorry to hear that you have been feeling so down, especially when it is not usually in your nature. I think that has been the matter with me lately.
I wasn't up too late this morning, but have wasted, spent ages on my tablet and Ipad, sorting things out. What I need, is a Marydoll, showing me how to sort it all out? Is NannyMcGeek? still around. She used to give good advice as well.
I know what I want to get done today, but feel sloth like and wonder where to start. Oh well, it will be coffee time soon. ?
Our nearest garden centre is closed on Mondays, so good luck with your visit Beechnut.
Oh well, better stir my stumps, so to one and all, have a good day.

Lins1066 Mon 16-Nov-20 10:38:12

Good news, after a telephone chat with the doctor at the eye clinic, Mr L's eye is deemed ok. Phew. He just needs to rest now and take it easy, not something he finds easy.
Hope you get on alright with the rest of your treatment dragonfly, thinking of you. grandeMattie too ?

Mapleleaf Mon 16-Nov-20 10:35:56

Good morning all,

It's another blustery day, but so far still dry. Greyduster is right about yesterday - it was supposed to be wet all day, but the sun got out and though breezy, it was a pleasant day, so DH and I got wrapped up and went for a walk.

GrandMattie never worry about sharing how you feel here. There are times when we all need to as that black dog pounces at the most unexpected times, sometimes. A trouble shared... ?

? to mick. Sorry to hear about your friend.

We had some sad news this weekend, too. A cousin died after a short illness. These times we are living through make saying proper goodbyes so difficult, don't they?

Good news about your husband, Gelisajams

? dragonfly. I hope you haven't got too many more sessions to go.

I hope your partner is with you soon, MissChatelaine. Enjoy your walk today.

Take care everyone x

LauraNorder Mon 16-Nov-20 10:33:55

Good morning Mick, good morning all from blustery Anglesey. No builders again except in my dream where I woke to see them all standing at my bedroom window and I was more concerned about whether I’d been snoring than anything else.
Grandmattie, better to chat with us than to disappear, better out than in.
Sympathy Susan, another here who had a difficult mother.
Harrigran sorry Mr H is suffering so much and yes our children also let us know all their problems and then sleep tight while I worry.
Dragonfly you must be nearly there by now, not long to go. Then what will you do with your new found freedom?
Elizabeth hope you’re still making good progress.
MissChateline fingers crossed you and your partner can be together again soon.
Good wishes to all going through tough times and hope today is a better day for everyone.

GrannySomerset Mon 16-Nov-20 10:32:06

Bed changing day and first lot of washing in the new machine which is leaving water on the floor after the final rinse. Too heavy for me to pull out to inspect what is happening behind it so calamity! Will need to ask a younger neighbour for help, not something I am good at. Suspect the waste pipe is not fitted securely but will have to find out. Oh dear! Wish I hadn’t gone to the enormous expense of the new machine now but too late for regrets.

Apart from the washing making me neurotic I need to talk to the bank, never something undertaken lightly or without plenty of time in hand. Not a good start to the week all in all. Good thing most posters are in a better mood than I am!

Nortsat Mon 16-Nov-20 10:25:08

Good morning Mick and the GM team from grey east London.

Nice to see Grandmattie here this morning. I hope you have a decent day. I was wondering about your brownies and shortbread - could you make up some little parcels for your neighbours?
Our neighbour’s daughter materialised at our door, one day during lockdown, with two cupcakes done up a little bag. It was such a sweet gesture.

Grammaretto hope the electric bath turns up ... that would be a lovely treat for MrG.
Thinking of you as you pay your respects Mick ... wrap up well.

I have been a bit unwell and a bit blue, however am feeling a bit better today, so I am determined to have a better day.
I can recommend an interesting film that we watched on Saturday called Dark Waters. It’s about a lawyer who brings a class action against DuPont (the big chemical company) and their alleged pollution of the water supply of a small town near one of their chemical plants. DuPont made Teflon, the non stick coating on pans. It really is an eye opening film, though not a ‘happy’ one.

Wishing Marydoll a comfortable, post injection day, Dragonfly a gentle day post treatment and everyone as pleasant a day as possible. ?

mumofmadboys Mon 16-Nov-20 10:23:04

Good morning all from Cumbria where the weather is brightening up a bit. What a lovely thread this is! Such kindness. Thinking of all with illness, troubles and worries. Best foot forward! x

EllanVannin Mon 16-Nov-20 10:16:52

Good Morning All x
Breezy, cloudy with a bit of brightness poking through now and again, but it's not too cold----yet.

A sad morning for Mick but don't get chilled standing.

I'll have to shift myself today and get something constructive done instead of just pottering. I sit here and do everything in my head, then before I know it the day's gone grin I'd love a Mary Poppins-----wouldn't we all ?

Bed changed first though then see if I can risk the washing out for an hour or two in this wind. Then a nice bowl of hot Zoflora water to wipe the paintwork and freshen round a bit.

Susan and those others with " trying " mums, I do feel for you. x. Throughout motherhood I told myself to keep at arms length unless invited and never to interfere. I've stuck to those rules but have always been in the background for support when needed. It worked. I could never have made their lives a misery, it's not in me to do so.
Old as I am, I've never made demands on any of them. I suppose it's helped me in a way as I'm fiercely independent, thanks to decent health. My own mother took each day as it came.

A little face at the window, the squirrel patiently waiting. I had to buy mixed nuts from Asda the other week, no peanuts. It's like giving a donkey strawberries as it's an expensive way of doing, but I can't see them without so it calls for another couple of bags this week. Between them and the cats it's like a 5* hotel grin

Keep up the good work Dragonfly, you're doing well. x
GrandMattie never be put off by saying how you feel, we're all good listeners, so long as someone says a few words lets us know that everyone's still in the land of the living smile

Lins, hope your DH's eye settles after the dog got too over-excited. Marydoll you're so brave giving yourself your " life-saving " jab, well done you.
When I read some of the things here I feel ever so grateful that I don't do so badly at all, healthwise.

Thoughts to those with appointments of sorts or who are finding these separations filled with sadness. It won't be forever. Thinking of Gilly x
Stay safe and take care everyone. xx

PS. I've polished off the crumpets and hot choc. Roll on 11's's.

Georgesgran Mon 16-Nov-20 10:16:45

Good Morning from Durham. Bright and breezy here. DH has taken a sample up to the Surgery as we have to be extra careful of infection.
DD1 has text to ask if I fancy a walk through the woods with her and DHS - I do, so that’s today sorted.
Hope Beechnut’s garden centre visit goes better than mine. Before lockdown I’d seen lawn dressing on offer, so DH and I went last week for a bag. We were stopped at the door and asked if we knew what we wanted. I said we did and it was then suggested only one of us went in - but I replied that DH didn’t know where it was and I couldn’t manage the heavy bag. We were allowed ‘to pass’ with the warning that browsing was not allowed either. In and out in 5 minutes and only one other person inside.

Hope everyone has the best day today. X

Gelisajams Mon 16-Nov-20 10:06:59

DH has had his chat with the consultant. His blood test which went up worrying last time, was exactly the same so the pressure is off for another 3 months. Am feeling very relieved!?

Bellasnana Mon 16-Nov-20 10:06:01

Good morning everyone. It’s a sunny start here in Malta but they have forecast rain for the rest of the week so it looks like our balmy days will be over and winter might make an appearance. We seem to skip autumn here.

Mick sorry to hear your friend has died. Always a sad time but more so with these restrictions in place.

Pantglas your mention of Jimmy Young took me back to the days when I was off school (usually skiving, but supposed to be sick). . There was a character called Raimondo who would ask ‘what’s the recipe today, Jim?’ in a voice that sounded like a chipmunk, and I always wrote it down.

MissChatelaine, I wonder which bit of the Yorkshire moors you are hiking in. I had a cousin who lived in a little village called Lastingham (near Pickering) and we spent many happy holidays staying in her beautiful cottage there. Sadly she died aged only 60 and is buried in Farndale churchyard, a beautiful place.

dragonfly how many more do you have to go? I remember my sister going for three weeks,it was quite a long drive to the hospital and the radiotherapy was over with so quickly, then the long drive home. Hoping you are coping as best you can.flowers

I am making this post too long so will just wish everyone the best day possible and send commiserations to those of you with worries.

NanKate, you know me so well ????? Hope you enjoy it too.☀️

grandMattie Mon 16-Nov-20 10:00:32

You areallSO sweet and kind. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. ❤️?

Kalu Mon 16-Nov-20 09:54:29

Good morning everyone from a dry bright day in Glasgow.

We must have the same heads this morning MellowYellow.
I watched Escape to the Chateau last night and had strange dreams I was their neighbour.Angel and I were having coffee in the garden whilst Dick was constructing a glass veranda around their front door. It was a very pleasant escape. ?

As it is dry today, I plan to spend as much time as possible outside pottering in the garden. Hopefully this will help to clear cobwebs.

Have a good day all.