Gransnet forums

Chat

Really light hearted (superficial and daft) even) thread

(196 Posts)
FannyCornforth Mon 16-Nov-20 08:56:21

On another post, someone suggested that it would be a good idea for posters to have avatars so that it would be easier to recognise each other.

In mind of that, I thought that perhaps we could describe ourselves a little, so that we can have a mental image?

You could start with a well known person who you have been told that you look a bit like; or a person who you would like to look like; or just give three adjectives.

So, to get the ball rolling, MrC thinks that I look like Boy George in his younger days (I know, aren't I the lucky one, blush)

I would love to look like Helena Bonham Carter, but I'd settle for Kirstie Alsop (they are sort of idealised versions of me).

I hope that we have some fun with this thread.
Do with it what you want!
Like I said, it's just a bit daftsmile

Maggiemaybe Wed 18-Nov-20 10:30:32

Thank you, haporthrosie, for your kind comments. Those of us with (ahem) characterful features should stick together! smile

FannyCornforth Wed 18-Nov-20 10:23:05

Thank you very much!
I'm glad that it's made you smile smile
'Dylan Thomas after an exceptionally bad night' shock

lemsip Wed 18-Nov-20 08:31:42

yes, Thanks FannyCornforth for this great thread!

Curiousm Wed 18-Nov-20 08:26:48

FannyCornforth We need to smile so this is great (smile)(smile)

haporthrosie Wed 18-Nov-20 01:51:11

Whenever I look in a mirror I hear Jimmy Clitheroe saying 'Scraggy Neck!' And this thread has made me thoroughly dislike lots of people here I'd previously been quite fond of. Any bearers of resemblance to the stunning women listed, consider yourselves scratched off my list (meow!) Good heavens, what must that be like? I now resemble Worzel Gummidge + Dylan Thomas after an exceptionally bad night. With a bit of Geoffrey Palmer. Much as I adore him, he's not exactly who I'd choose to look like! Sometimes I wonder just what sort of milkman my Mum was having fun with, and why ... my Nanna looked like Rita Hayworth + Joan Fontaine. My mother simply defied description, a true stunner. Then I came along! Though in memory of my younger days I will admit to meeting a little boy who kept saying 'Are you sure you're not the Queen?' and someone else who said I looked like a cross between Jean Simmons and HRH. But that was a very long time ago and thinking back, it may have been the time I met George Shearing ... It would be marvelous to look like Ava Gardner, Wendy Hiller, Fay Compton or Joyce Redman because not only were they stunning but they aged really beautifully as well. And here I am jowly but scraggy-necked, not a good combination! Ah well, I know lots more about enjoying life than many young women seem to do. smile

haporthrosie Wed 18-Nov-20 01:11:33

Thank you Maggiemaybe, you've no idea how badly I needed a laugh today and imagining Benny Hill + Nora Batty has been the perfect tonic! And I don't even mind that it will trigger fits of giggles at inappropriate moments (funerals, on the bus) - it's worth it! Please don't think I'm laughing at you: both Benny and Nora had the sort of faces I'd much rather see than any blank, smug supermodels. Wish there were 'like' buttons on here, that's the only thing wrong with GransNet.

MissAdventure Tue 17-Nov-20 20:38:42

smile
It's a great drawing.

Lucca Tue 17-Nov-20 19:10:37

I’m very pleased with the long legs and find the arms coming out of my ears very useful in tennis,

Lucca Tue 17-Nov-20 19:09:48

According to just 3 yr old grandson this is me

MissAdventure Tue 17-Nov-20 16:20:19

I've been told I look like a variety of people, none of whom look like each other.
Some flattering, and one just devastating (which of course, is the one I took to heart)

Daftbag1 Tue 17-Nov-20 16:11:25

I look like a cross between our Xmas turkey before killing and our dog

Coco1 Tue 17-Nov-20 12:33:27

I’ve been told by quite a lot of people I look like Joanna Lumley and some even call me Patsy! Good thing is I don’t smoke but an occasional glass of Bolly is rather nice !

Fernbergien Tue 17-Nov-20 12:17:04

I have been asked if I was French and always said NO but now have found out that I have a lot of french blood.
Son looks like Nick Berry and dil looks a better version of Jackie K. I think they make a good looking couple.

lemongrove Tue 17-Nov-20 11:10:33

Ah! Yes of course Callistemon and I won the Frankie Howerd look-alike competion there....happy days.Although I was upset by a one eyed sailor pressing the ‘black spot’ into my hand on his way to the gents.☹️

Callistemon Tue 17-Nov-20 10:26:08

Callistemon we may have been ships who passed in the night or did you see me down at the docks with the Admiral?

It was in the Admiral Benbow pub near Devonport Docks, lemongrove! Very many years ago but I remember you now. I won the Julie Walters look-alike competition.

Kate1949 Tue 17-Nov-20 10:09:18

Am I the only one who has never taken a selfie?

lemongrove Tue 17-Nov-20 09:25:11

Posters could wear their Covid masks and put a pic on here?

lemongrove Tue 17-Nov-20 09:24:14

Haha, it’s very kind of you all, but I may fit Unigran4’s description better these days ( I think she was speaking of herself.....but maybe not)?
It’s a selfie I took to amuse dear little grandson, I always squint in a selfie though ( or does everybody?)
Callistemon we may have been ships who passed in the night or did you see me down at the docks with the Admiral?

Curiousm Tue 17-Nov-20 07:42:33

I am enjoying this thread and I agree with you. I read a lot and see situations similar to mine but I would never, ever dare post as some replies are so unkind and it upsets me to read them. So I am a "lurker" ha ......ha

LauraNorder Tue 17-Nov-20 07:39:55

Yes, Lemongrove, and we all thought it was Sue Barker with Sir Cliff.

Unigran4 Tue 17-Nov-20 01:03:17

Fanny Craddock without the apron!

Callistemon Mon 16-Nov-20 23:36:32

I'm more Julie Walters (until she had her eyes done) and my hair has grown in lockdown.

So, no, I'm not really like Julie Walters now.
?

MissAdventure Mon 16-Nov-20 23:28:11

Oh yes!
With a touch of Julie Walters thrown in.

Callistemon Mon 16-Nov-20 23:19:58

It just came to me - does lemongrove look like Sue Barker?

MissAdventure Mon 16-Nov-20 23:16:42

Not me. (I should be so lucky!)
Lemongrove reminds me of Jennifer Saunders. (Who is a very fine looking woman) smile