Gransnet forums

Chat

Would you buy your grandchild a pooping flamingo?

(144 Posts)
Ealdemodor Wed 18-Nov-20 08:40:33

I couldn’t believe it when I first saw this toy advertised. It is a flamingo, which you “feed” with some gooey stuff, then sit it on a loo and watch it poop!
No doubt kids will love it, and there will be loads of them opened on Christmas Day.
I just wonder who designed it. Imaging pitching it at a meeting!

grandtanteJE65 Wed 18-Nov-20 14:04:17

I agree that all small children go through the phase of thinking anything to do with weeing, doing a jobbie or bottoms hilarious.

This is quite natural and occurs at the time when we are potty training, which is usually also the phase that finishes with them being big girls or boys who can go to the toilet on their own and wipe their bottoms clean themselves.

This is also when we teach them that what we do at the toilet is private and not something we go around talking about.
And if we haven't already started to do so, we start discouraging the lavatorial jokes and words.

So what age group of children is this toy designed for, and what good do the makers thing it is going to do in the upbringing of a child?

I cannot see it can be remotely funny for the grown-up forced to watch or hear the child playing with it, and I doubt it does the slightest good to let a child play with a toy like this. I would certainly never buy one for any child.

MissAdventure Wed 18-Nov-20 14:10:29

And yet they all grow up much the same. smile

Millieangel Wed 18-Nov-20 14:16:42

I'm sure children will love it. They love anything poo related!! My Granddaughters are to old for this but I think they would have adored it.

Acciaccatura Wed 18-Nov-20 14:30:13

Agree wholeheartedly, sazz1. There is no room in children's lives for embarrassment añd, even more importantly, they should not feel shame. This inevitably spills over into adulthood with dire consequences for some.
5 minute-wonder-toys do irritate me though, but that's another issue.

Quizzer Wed 18-Nov-20 15:01:42

Five minute wonder!

123kitty Wed 18-Nov-20 15:24:45

Poos and farts are funny to little children- it's probably just watching the disgusted look on adults faces that makes this such fun for little ones. Either laugh along with them or just look bored. I would not buy this, DD and DDinL would not be pleased.

May7 Wed 18-Nov-20 15:46:51

I wouldn't buy the pooing flamingo but only because of the price. I have no problem with children talking or laughing at any bodily function.

There is a gorgeous little book which is funny and educational that sends my Gcs into fits of laughter. The Story of the Little Mole who knew it was none of his business
by Werner Holzwarth
It's about a mole who finds that an animal has pooed on top of his home and he sets out to find which animal did this. It goes through different animals and their droppings. Gagajo or anyone else , if you want an educational but funny present for this Christmas

NannyG123 Wed 18-Nov-20 15:53:21

Yes definitely, thats what kids find funny. I've just bought my grandson a remote control poo as part present for his 5th birthday. I know he will think it very funny. My only wish is that I could be there when he opens it. Facetime not quite the same.

Doodledog Wed 18-Nov-20 16:08:33

I try not to buy anything that needs refills, which I believe this does. I saw it reviewed on This Morning, and if I'm right you have to use a particular 'food' that probably costs a fortune, or will be unavailable as soon as the toy loses popularity.

Hetty58 Wed 18-Nov-20 16:15:26

I tend to buy them what they want - within reason. I've bought peeing/pooping dolls - so the flamingo is no problem. After all, present buying has nothing much to do with what I like - it's for them!

Daddima Wed 18-Nov-20 16:19:13

Now, I’m sure the fault is with me, and I think I am broadminded, but I really don’t like toys and books about bodily functions. I remember the ‘lavatorial’ phase of a child’s development was seen as normal ( and rightly so), but it was strictly a ‘ no adults’ area! I remember when I worked in early years there was a book called ‘I Need a New Bum’, but I could never bring myself to read it to the children! There was also one called ‘ The Queen’s Knickers’, which I thought was very funny, but,again, didn’t read it to children.

I agree with others that toys which ‘ do things’, are nearly always 7 day wonders.

tidyskatemum Wed 18-Nov-20 16:26:23

I was horrified to see that it costs over £30 - so that’s about £1 per minute until the novelty wears off.

MissAdventure Wed 18-Nov-20 16:29:57

Are children still playing with the "must have" toys (that some parents queued all night to get) from a year or two ago?

PamelaJ1 Wed 18-Nov-20 16:30:20

How much??
If that information hadn’t put me off then the probability that it’s made in China probably would.
I can’t imagine that any child would find it funny for long. I’ve bought many presents that I haven’t been happy to buy but I don’t think that I could part with my£££ for this.

MissAdventure Wed 18-Nov-20 16:50:35

It would be spending out for a load of crap.. grin

bikergran Wed 18-Nov-20 17:09:29

My GS age 6 all time favourite is the WHOOPIE CUSHION.

Oh the fun he has with that which costs about £1.

The older GS loves to put blue tooth speaker under chairs where people are sat and make trump noises from his phone..(Hes 14) not sure if boys ever grow out of it. but if it makes them laugh then so be it.grin

Pippa22 Wed 18-Nov-20 17:24:56

Nothing is new... My youngest is 40 and I can remember her having a toy plastic reindeer one year that when you pressed its back it pood chocolate covered raisins. It came from British Home Stores ( remember them ? ) and was hilarious! The best gift that year and still remembered. So in answer to the question yes I would !

Sawsage2 Wed 18-Nov-20 18:11:30

If that's what the child wants then yes I would buy it for them. If I asked them for a walking stick I would hope they'd get me one. Giving presents (if asked) especially to children, is THEIR choice at Christmas NOT ours.

SandySea Wed 18-Nov-20 18:58:56

No I could not bring myself to buy this!

Ngaio1 Wed 18-Nov-20 19:36:45

Witzend. Thank you. Pooh is just for Winnie. I knew that poop was the American version of poo - one could have guessed, anyway.!!

Elrel Wed 18-Nov-20 19:37:55

I don’t mind the poo but wouldn’t buy it as it’s plastic and costs £30.
Plenty of better ways to spend the money.
Our 1960s laying chicken had spherical white eggs. Had they been brown I think we’d still have accepted them as eggs. Chicken poo is very different!

Nannan2 Wed 18-Nov-20 19:42:38

The kids deserve a laugh or two this year don't they?Who are you all on here? the fun police?

Iam64 Wed 18-Nov-20 20:31:39

My five year old grandson finds any opportunity to say wee/poo/fart/stinkbomb etc. His parents were (obsessively) watching the US election. He was reduced to rolling around on the floor when he learned the President's name and thereafter, referred to him as Mr Fart
My daughter had a baby born, that wee'd and did worse when fed. She loved that dolly which was her 'main' Christmas gift.
Yes, I may buy the unicorn if I had a grandchild of the right age (and I fear, gender)

MissAdventure Wed 18-Nov-20 20:40:13

English
Pronunciation
IPA(key): /puːp/
Audio (CA)
(file)
Rhymes: -uːp
Etymology 1
Origin uncertain, possibly from Middle English poupen (“to make a gulping sound while drinking, blow on a horn, toot”). Compare Dutch poepen (“to defecate”), German Low German pupen (“to fart; break wind”).

Verb
poop (third-person singular simple present poops, present participle pooping, simple past and past participle pooped)

(obsolete, intransitive) To make a short blast on a horn [from late 14th c.]
(obsolete, intransitive) To break wind. [from 18th c.]
(informal, childish, intransitive) To defecate.

smile

Shizam Wed 18-Nov-20 20:45:52

Just get them whoopee cushions. Constant source of laughs for children (and older).