Gransnet forums

Chat

Would you buy your grandchild a pooping flamingo?

(144 Posts)
Ealdemodor Wed 18-Nov-20 08:40:33

I couldn’t believe it when I first saw this toy advertised. It is a flamingo, which you “feed” with some gooey stuff, then sit it on a loo and watch it poop!
No doubt kids will love it, and there will be loads of them opened on Christmas Day.
I just wonder who designed it. Imaging pitching it at a meeting!

bikergran Thu 19-Nov-20 19:53:06

Thanks.... I think there was something about Heinz Beans at one time, but can't think of it at the mo.

Callistemon Thu 19-Nov-20 18:43:56

I keep seeing it as "Popping Flamingo"
confused

Alegrias2 Thu 19-Nov-20 18:37:25

LauraNorder ???

LauraNorder Thu 19-Nov-20 17:55:29

Alegrias2

Every time I see the heading for this thread I hear the Manfred Mann song "Pretty Flamingo" in my head.....

Manfred Mann Alegrias sh** flamingo.
Love the rhyme Bikergran

No wouldn’t buy the flamingo but have had fun with cheap and cheerful whoopee cushions

MamaCaz Thu 19-Nov-20 17:42:20

It's expensive, it's plastic and it would almost certainly, in most cases, be a one-minute wonder. Those are my reasons why not.

Whoopee cushions, now that's another matter. Have bought those before and would do so again - fun for all the family ?

Aepgirl Thu 19-Nov-20 15:03:33

Children love anything that seems a bit 'naughty'. I don't see any harm in it.

Witzend Thu 19-Nov-20 13:06:04

My London born and bred DF used poop, but it would rhyme with my old Yorkshire landlady’s pronunciation of duck, love, etc. - dook and loove.

@Bikergran, that’s a new one on me! ?
My DF had one that went,

‘A fart is very pleasant
It gives the body ease
It warms the bed in winter
And suffocates the fleas.’

Incidentally he had a deep and what was thought a very ‘posh’ voice. I’m only saying this in case any of the stuffier types on here think he must have been as common as muck to teach such rhymes to children. ?

MissAdventure Thu 19-Nov-20 12:37:07

How about poor maverick prowels and his rumbling bowels that thundered in the night? grin

Lucca Thu 19-Nov-20 12:26:02

Poop is the term they use in America, and in South Africa and possibly Australia. I am constantly amazed at the anti American feeling on GN! Surely they re allowed their own words ??
Why in the name of goodness is poo Any better than poop ??

bikergran Thu 19-Nov-20 11:29:39

I always remember this verse it is in one of the old children's verse books.

A musical student from Sparta
Was a truly magnificent farter
On the strength of one bean he could
fart ,God save the Queen and Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata

Joyfulnanna Thu 19-Nov-20 11:26:50

It's a function most kids find funny.. Why not, if it makes them happy

Alegrias2 Thu 19-Nov-20 11:23:49

Every time I see the heading for this thread I hear the Manfred Mann song "Pretty Flamingo" in my head.....

chrisinnorfolk Thu 19-Nov-20 11:13:14

It seems to me that, although it sounds a bit disgusting, (but not to a young child) its a hundred times better than anything connected to war, or violence of any kind.

f77ms Thu 19-Nov-20 08:12:22

No, one of those toys to be used a couple of times then cast aside for something more imaginative. I know they like anything poo related but grow out of it quickly thank goodness.

jerseygirl Wed 18-Nov-20 21:29:27

No, i wouldn't buy it either. Rubbish!! will only be played with for a short time until the novelty wears off.

Callistemon Wed 18-Nov-20 21:05:22

Thank you
I know it will not appeal to everyone
grin

DGS loved his whoopie cushion when he was about 7. We all knew he'd put it on our chairs but had to pretend innocence.

I wouldn't spend £30 though!

MissAdventure Wed 18-Nov-20 20:58:16

Oh me too!! grin
Your song was great.

Callistemon Wed 18-Nov-20 20:52:43

What goes in must come out.

Thank you for the pooping
The noise they're making
Thanks for all the joy they're bringing
Who can live without them, I ask in all honesty?
What would life be?
Without a fart or a poop where are we?
So I say thank you for the poopies
For giving them to me.

Apologies to those of a sensitive disposition.

Mine have outgrown that stage although they still find trumps very funny.

Shizam Wed 18-Nov-20 20:45:52

Just get them whoopee cushions. Constant source of laughs for children (and older).

MissAdventure Wed 18-Nov-20 20:40:13

English
Pronunciation
IPA(key): /puːp/
Audio (CA)
(file)
Rhymes: -uːp
Etymology 1
Origin uncertain, possibly from Middle English poupen (“to make a gulping sound while drinking, blow on a horn, toot”). Compare Dutch poepen (“to defecate”), German Low German pupen (“to fart; break wind”).

Verb
poop (third-person singular simple present poops, present participle pooping, simple past and past participle pooped)

(obsolete, intransitive) To make a short blast on a horn [from late 14th c.]
(obsolete, intransitive) To break wind. [from 18th c.]
(informal, childish, intransitive) To defecate.

smile

Iam64 Wed 18-Nov-20 20:31:39

My five year old grandson finds any opportunity to say wee/poo/fart/stinkbomb etc. His parents were (obsessively) watching the US election. He was reduced to rolling around on the floor when he learned the President's name and thereafter, referred to him as Mr Fart
My daughter had a baby born, that wee'd and did worse when fed. She loved that dolly which was her 'main' Christmas gift.
Yes, I may buy the unicorn if I had a grandchild of the right age (and I fear, gender)

Nannan2 Wed 18-Nov-20 19:42:38

The kids deserve a laugh or two this year don't they?Who are you all on here? the fun police?

Elrel Wed 18-Nov-20 19:37:55

I don’t mind the poo but wouldn’t buy it as it’s plastic and costs £30.
Plenty of better ways to spend the money.
Our 1960s laying chicken had spherical white eggs. Had they been brown I think we’d still have accepted them as eggs. Chicken poo is very different!

Ngaio1 Wed 18-Nov-20 19:36:45

Witzend. Thank you. Pooh is just for Winnie. I knew that poop was the American version of poo - one could have guessed, anyway.!!

SandySea Wed 18-Nov-20 18:58:56

No I could not bring myself to buy this!