Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you deliberately annoy your partner?

(44 Posts)
grannyactivist Wed 18-Nov-20 13:23:18

My husband occasionally does things that I find mildly annoying; for example, whenever he washes up (rarely as we have a dishwasher) he usually turns the washing up bowl upside down afterwards. Why? What is the point? It's a mild irritant, nothing more. But I once mentioned it to a friend who immediately assumed he does it deliberately to annoy me and went into details about several things she does, on purpose, just to irritate her husband.

I am certain that my husband does NOT deliberately do things to annoy me, nor I him, but it got me wondering whether this is widespread. Is this something that people actually do? And if so, why?

Cabbie21 Fri 20-Nov-20 20:11:04

If I leave DH to clear up after a meal eg this evening when I had a Zoom choir, I will find some items still in the bowl and the worktops and ceramic hob not wiped down. It really annoys me, but not as much as him always leaving the loo seat up. I wouldn’t say he does it to annoy me but he knows it does, so he must do.

Callistemon Fri 20-Nov-20 19:59:29

I rearrange the dishwasher.
DH also does a bit of washing up and I always put the things in the dishwasher that he has washed up (if I find them before he puts them away).

lemongrove Fri 20-Nov-20 19:48:45

Me too Davida?
I think we all do things that annoy/irritate our partners but
Not on purpose ( why would you?)
I don’t mind DH rearranging the dishwasher ( he does that daily in any case).

sodapop Fri 20-Nov-20 19:42:03

grin goes for me too Davida1968

Davida1968 Fri 20-Nov-20 15:32:20

I absolutely would not try to annoy DH on purpose. And I know that the same goes for him, to me. Accidentally - now that's another matter......

Whitewavemark2 Fri 20-Nov-20 15:27:57

I’m too lazy to deliberately annoy anyone tbh.

Seems a bit pointless to me.

dontmindstayinghome Fri 20-Nov-20 15:19:23

Apparently I don't know how to load the dishwasher correctly, my OH always rearranges it. So now I just throw all the dishes at the front and leave him to sort them as only he knows how grin

I don't have a bowl in the sink any more as OH would just leave the dirty water in it - but If I had one I would leave it on its side to drain!

Callistemon Fri 20-Nov-20 15:01:55

DH annoyed me intensely yesterday.
It was probably unintentional as he thought he was doing the right thing but he wasn't.
I nearly posted on here so that I could have a good rant but thought better of it. Probably just as well because I'd still be reading messages telling me to LTB.

A storm in a teacup.

MissAdventure Fri 20-Nov-20 14:51:55

I used to work for a woman who swore her husband wore odd socks just to annoy her. smile

grannyrebel7 Fri 20-Nov-20 14:50:33

I don't think I annoy my DH on purpose, but he sure annoys the hell out of me! He says it's not deliberate but I think it must be sometimes. He's driving me mad today. I can't say anything right and he just goes off on one. One of the minor things he does concerns folding wet towels/teatowels. I've told him a million times they won't dry if they're folded but he continues to do it. Arrrggghhh!

grannylyn65 Fri 20-Nov-20 14:46:01

??

TrendyNannie6 Fri 20-Nov-20 14:44:09

No, I don’t do anything intentionally to annoy my Dh that I can think of, Maybe he will say otherwise I will have to ask him,

Pebbles101 Fri 20-Nov-20 14:38:07

?? no I / we just annoy each other without even trying - and yes we r lucky to able to do so after many many years, but who amongst us is a saint and appreciates everything they have . Case in point this ...year . did I appreciate what I had last year all the time - no! But I did try to always appreciate how lucky I was to still have some of the people I love when so many had gone .

grannyactivist Fri 20-Nov-20 14:24:23

I'm reassured to know that people are not generally going out of their way to cause irritation to partners and spouses. smile

Namsnanny Wed 18-Nov-20 20:55:26

My mother sets people up all the time. Hate it.

M0nica Wed 18-Nov-20 20:15:56

Everyone has their irritating little ways, but i would never do anything to deliberately annoy someone I love. Actually, I would have to really dislike someone to deliberately annoy them.

KerryS Wed 18-Nov-20 20:04:57

My husband didn't do the upside down thing, but whilst I was cooking dinner, I would go to drain the potatoes only to find he had put a bowl in the sink just so he could put a teaspoon in it after he'd made a cuppa!! It irritated the hell out of me, so I just chucked out the bowl and we don't have one in the house anymore. I would add that we use a dishwasher, so why didn't he just put the spoon in it!

LauraNorder Wed 18-Nov-20 18:50:21

maggiemaybe I’m pretty sure that Charleygirl was having a humorous pop at men in general when she said ‘just be grateful they know where the kitchen is’.
I thought it was an amusing comment.
My husband, Orlin, does that washing up bowl thing.

Lucca Wed 18-Nov-20 18:31:16

GagaJo

I used to put the toilet paper roll on, hanging to the back, rather than the front, just because my bloke was such a smart a**e about it and once lectured me for 20 minutes as to why hanging to the front was right.

It used to irritate the hell out of him and I would evil grin to myself.

Snap

Maggiemaybe Wed 18-Nov-20 16:26:58

DiscoDancer1975

Thank you Chewbacca. We’ve just come in, and I was reading my husband this thread. He then said, “ Did I lock the car?” I thought he had, but he’d gone in after to put hand sanitizer back in there. But for your post, it would have been left unlocked?

Oddly enough, we’ve just passed our car, parked along the street, as we went for some fresh air. DH idly tried the door handle, and guess what? grin

Calendargirl Wed 18-Nov-20 16:20:57

DH always tips any spare water out of the kettle and re-fills it, even if I have only boiled it a few minutes earlier. He also always puts far too much water in for one mug.

He doesn’t do it to annoy me, but it does!

Of course I never annoy him in any way, either on purpose or by accident!

MissAdventure Wed 18-Nov-20 15:56:52

He was right though..wink

GagaJo Wed 18-Nov-20 15:48:27

I used to put the toilet paper roll on, hanging to the back, rather than the front, just because my bloke was such a smart a**e about it and once lectured me for 20 minutes as to why hanging to the front was right.

It used to irritate the hell out of him and I would evil grin to myself.

Sparklefizz Wed 18-Nov-20 15:44:19

I do the "standing the washing up bowl on one side" thing and I have no one here to annoy except myself. smile

Callistemon Wed 18-Nov-20 15:21:11

Do you deliberately annoy your partner?

Not deliberately
grin