Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you deliberately annoy your partner?

(43 Posts)
grannyactivist Wed 18-Nov-20 13:23:18

My husband occasionally does things that I find mildly annoying; for example, whenever he washes up (rarely as we have a dishwasher) he usually turns the washing up bowl upside down afterwards. Why? What is the point? It's a mild irritant, nothing more. But I once mentioned it to a friend who immediately assumed he does it deliberately to annoy me and went into details about several things she does, on purpose, just to irritate her husband.

I am certain that my husband does NOT deliberately do things to annoy me, nor I him, but it got me wondering whether this is widespread. Is this something that people actually do? And if so, why?

Maggiemaybe Wed 18-Nov-20 13:27:02

Well I don’t, it sounds like a recipe for disaster!

Weirdly, my DH does the washing up bowl thing as well, only he sets it on its side. I’m fairly certain it’s not deliberate.... hmm

MissAdventure Wed 18-Nov-20 13:34:18

Much as I'd like to, (annoy, that is) I don't have a partner.
I wonder why that is? smile

travelsafar Wed 18-Nov-20 13:42:41

My husband always put amug upside down on the draining board after i have cleared the sink and cleaned it and the draining board. It drives me mad!!! He also leaves empty milk containers on the side rather than putting straight into the recycling bin and he also leaves the tea towel scrunched up, somewhere random in the kitchen, rather than putting on the towel rail!!! when i say anything he laughs and says because i know it annoys you. Now i just ignore.

Namsnanny Wed 18-Nov-20 13:43:21

Re the washing up bowl, I seem to remember being told to do this in school. Stop water creating a puddle for germs?

My husband does the 'on the side' thing, which doesnt fulfil either objective!

I dont think its on purpose though.

Charleygirl5 Wed 18-Nov-20 13:57:38

Please be grateful they know where the kitchen is and you have running water there. Many do not.

Chewbacca Wed 18-Nov-20 14:01:14

Sometimes, just to annoy my ExH. He had a habit of getting out of the car at the end of the day and leave it unlocked, despite being reminded repeatedly that it would get stolen. He used to leave the house each morning via the back door, walk down the ginnel at the side of the house and across the driveway to open the unlocked car door. But whilst he'd been doing his circuitous route, I'd have got the spare car key fob and, whilst watching from the window, flicked the car alarm on remotely. As soon as he touched the door handle, the alarm would blare out and the headlights flash on and off. I used to howl with laughter as I watched him frantically scrabbling for his car keys to turn everything off! grin He never did learn his lesson until the car was indeed stolen.

Maggiemaybe Wed 18-Nov-20 14:05:03

Oh, Charleygirl5, nobody’s saying that they’re not grateful for what they’ve got. Do we really have to add a disclaimer now to every light-hearted comment?

tanith Wed 18-Nov-20 14:29:41

I can remember doing the washing up bowl thing when I had a washing up bowl i think my Mum did it too. Can't think why I'd of wanted to annoy my lovely DH but he used to always leave dishes on the side rather than put them in the dishwasher.

MamaCaz Wed 18-Nov-20 14:30:36

M OH is irritated by the way I put the dishes on the draining rack when washing up, because it isn't how he puts them when he does the job, and obviously, his way is the only 'right' way, in his opinion!
I don't do it to annoy him, but I'm not going to change the way I do it either.

I have to admit that there is something that I used to do deliberately: After I had done the housework, he used to go around tweaking the position of any ornaments and furniture that wasn't exactly how he liked it to be.
This started to annoy me, especially as he didn't do any of the actual work, so I began deliberately putting things back skew whiff sometimes, then I would sit back and wait to see how long it took him to correct them.
Wicked, I know, but I couldn't resist grin
I think OH eventually twigged, because he stopped doing it as often. (Though his controlling nature has become much more obvious in other ways since then.)

boodymum67 Wed 18-Nov-20 14:32:47

No, I don't. Our lives are difficult enough...disability...estranged children...covid...need I say more?

Lucca Wed 18-Nov-20 14:39:22

My ex used to decide to wash the car when we were due to set off for a lunch/party etc as he knew I hate being late

Spinnaker Wed 18-Nov-20 14:50:35

Do I deliberately annoy my partner ?

All depends what mood I'm in grin

kittylester Wed 18-Nov-20 14:51:16

Maggie, I don't think that was what Charley was doing.

BBbevan Wed 18-Nov-20 15:14:43

Why ever would you want to ?

Blossoming Wed 18-Nov-20 15:16:46

Some things do irritate me, but only if I’m having a bad day. He doesn’t do them on purpose. I’m sure I must have some irritating habits too.

DiscoDancer1975 Wed 18-Nov-20 15:17:19

Thank you Chewbacca. We’ve just come in, and I was reading my husband this thread. He then said, “ Did I lock the car?” I thought he had, but he’d gone in after to put hand sanitizer back in there. But for your post, it would have been left unlocked😮

Maggiemaybe Wed 18-Nov-20 15:19:15

Charleygirl5

Please be grateful they know where the kitchen is and you have running water there. Many do not.

But I just can’t see any other meaning, kitty, apart from that Charleygirl thinks we should stop moaning and count our blessings. confused

Callistemon Wed 18-Nov-20 15:21:11

Do you deliberately annoy your partner?

Not deliberately
grin

Sparklefizz Wed 18-Nov-20 15:44:19

I do the "standing the washing up bowl on one side" thing and I have no one here to annoy except myself. smile

GagaJo Wed 18-Nov-20 15:48:27

I used to put the toilet paper roll on, hanging to the back, rather than the front, just because my bloke was such a smart a**e about it and once lectured me for 20 minutes as to why hanging to the front was right.

It used to irritate the hell out of him and I would evil grin to myself.

MissAdventure Wed 18-Nov-20 15:56:52

He was right though..wink

Calendargirl Wed 18-Nov-20 16:20:57

DH always tips any spare water out of the kettle and re-fills it, even if I have only boiled it a few minutes earlier. He also always puts far too much water in for one mug.

He doesn’t do it to annoy me, but it does!

Of course I never annoy him in any way, either on purpose or by accident!

Maggiemaybe Wed 18-Nov-20 16:26:58

DiscoDancer1975

Thank you Chewbacca. We’ve just come in, and I was reading my husband this thread. He then said, “ Did I lock the car?” I thought he had, but he’d gone in after to put hand sanitizer back in there. But for your post, it would have been left unlocked😮

Oddly enough, we’ve just passed our car, parked along the street, as we went for some fresh air. DH idly tried the door handle, and guess what? grin

Lucca Wed 18-Nov-20 18:31:16

GagaJo

I used to put the toilet paper roll on, hanging to the back, rather than the front, just because my bloke was such a smart a**e about it and once lectured me for 20 minutes as to why hanging to the front was right.

It used to irritate the hell out of him and I would evil grin to myself.

Snap