Gransnet forums

Chat

Another vacuous thread! Tenuous Claims to Fame

(700 Posts)
FannyCornforth Thu 19-Nov-20 14:23:18

The more tenuous and obscure the better!
My aunty went out with the bloke who designed * both*
A) the Cadbury's Chocolate Orange packaging, and
B) Buzby, the British Telecom mascot

Beat that Gransnetterssmile

Blinko Tue 01-Dec-20 11:26:22

The nanny to the children of the owners of Pilkingtons Glass used to lodge with my Grandma...

Kate1949 Tue 01-Dec-20 11:40:17

I went with my sister to see a play with some of the Man About The House cast in it. As we were leaving, Richard O'Sullivan walked past us into the bar. We followed him and he stood in the bar surrounded by fans.
He was delightful. Funny and full of life. I feel sad about what happened to him in later life.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 01-Dec-20 11:50:56

My dear late mum sat next to 'Lovejoy' (Ian McShane?) at Wimbledon.

Espana Tue 01-Dec-20 16:04:45

I once had lunch with Winston Churchill - sadly the Grandson , not his granddaddy!

Espana Tue 01-Dec-20 16:07:31

What happened to Richard O’Sullivan ?

Kate1949 Tue 01-Dec-20 16:15:29

Espana I believe he suffered a stroke in his 60s. He has lived in a retirement home run by the entertainment industry for some years. A while ago there was a picture of him being introduced to The Duchess of Sussex. I found it sad. She wouldn't have known what a popular actor (and bright spark) he was.

Espana Tue 01-Dec-20 17:36:23

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that happened to anyone but to such a lovely man. Was he not married.?

Lucretzia Tue 01-Dec-20 17:37:41

I trod on Sammy Davis Jr's foot in a lift in New York

Kate1949 Tue 01-Dec-20 17:49:23

Espana He married Tessa Wyatt who was in Robin's Nest with him. They had a son but they divorced. I'm not a stalker honestly! I just really liked hum so took an interest.

Kate1949 Tue 01-Dec-20 17:50:20

him not hum

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 01-Dec-20 17:53:22

A couple of years ago I sat opposite John Simpson on the Oxford train to Paddington. He seemed to be writing his journal in the most illegible script! A few rows along was Professor Diarmuid McCullough. Why weren’t either of them in First Class?

welbeck Tue 01-Dec-20 18:05:52

FannyCornforth

I really want to know what your brother did for a living now welbeck!

sorry, i really cannot say. retired now anyway.
but he did get behind the scenes in lots of places.

welbeck Tue 01-Dec-20 18:11:38

i shared a lift with Sir John Tusa, of the bbc, in a hosp out-patients' dept. in case he felt self-conscious being noticed as a patient, i said what an interesting neck-tie he had. he seemed pleased and said it was from India, hand-painted. it did look a bit like modern art, all swirley colours.
by the way, again for the avoidance of doubt, it was a dermatology dept. ?too much indian sun maybe.

mamaa Tue 01-Dec-20 18:34:29

Ive just remembered that I 'met' Les Dawson whilst shopping in Booths in Blackpool.
He lived in neighbouring Lytham and I had quite a shock when he emerged from the other side of the bread shelves, where I was trying to choose a loaf.
He went straight into a 'Cissy and Ada' type routine, bemoaning how hard it was to choose when all he/I wanted was a simple loaf of bread.
Then he saw my son who'd have been about 5 at the time, darted round the side of the shelf and started to play a kind of hide and seek game with him!

MissAdventure Tue 01-Dec-20 18:39:49

smile
How lovely. I always thought he seemed a nice man.

Marmight Tue 01-Dec-20 22:44:49

I once saw Nick Knowles in Sainsbury. He was running to the check out with a large lettuce confused.
Also, when I visited my Dad in Sussex, I used to see Denis Healey pushing his trolley round Morrisons.

V3ra Tue 01-Dec-20 23:21:22

welbeck I met Jane Asher with Paul McCartney and his young sister when we were all walking our dogs in Heswall, on the Wirral in the late 60s.
Paul had Martha, his Old English sheepdog. I was with my younger brother and sister, I was about 10 or 11.
We stood chatting for quite a while as the two dogs chased about.
When we went on our way, my sister (5) said, "Do you know him or something?" ?‍♀️

Blondie49 Mon 28-Dec-20 09:53:45

Met Heinz ( from the Tornados ), met and got Dave Davis plectrum, knew the writer of the Scotsman Column and also knew writer of Edinburgh ( morningside) history books. Also changed nappies ?? of Premier FC Player ( that was ) !!

Ailidh Mon 28-Dec-20 10:11:35

I went to school with a girl whose subsequent husband knew a descendent of Tolstoy.

Gwenisgreat1 Mon 28-Dec-20 10:17:58

My DD2 and her small son have been on TV talking about Down Syndrome

I have been on TV doing an Indian Head Massage

Nell8 Mon 28-Dec-20 10:31:01

DH was Sid James's paper boy

Nell8 Mon 28-Dec-20 10:42:02

and .. I worked with a lady whose husband was boss of Dennis Nilsen, the serial killer

I went with my Mum to Balmoral Castle to sell a Siamese kitten to the Queen's housekeeper.

Unigran4 Mon 28-Dec-20 10:42:23

I was Bobby Davro's postie when he lived up here. He had a lovely Springer spaniel he called Oscar, because he said he could then legitimately say he had an "Oscar".

henetha Mon 28-Dec-20 10:42:52

I am of royal blood!. My maternal grandmother traced her family tree right back to the Dukes of Norfolk, the Howard family of which Catherine Howard was one.
I appeared on television for five minutes in 1980 in a programme called Nationwide.

Ilovedragonflies Mon 28-Dec-20 10:57:05

I ran over Reg Varney's foot with my baby's buggy. He was queueing behind me in the chemist and was a bit too close as I turned to leave. (I had no idea he was there until he said ouch and hopped up and down!)