Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Friday

(69 Posts)
12Michael Fri 20-Nov-20 06:14:03

Good Morning Everyone,
Its a dark but dry start here in Brackley this morning .
Today , usual shop later ,and then rest of the day in.
Anyway , Yesterday I watched Bargain Hunt at lunchtime despite being a repeat , did show a off site location where the teams met there experts so to speak , it was filmed on a Friday as the market was on the piazza , if you saw it yesterday ,at the back you you saw a local hotel on the left and a shop on the right , well in between there was an alley ,and just about 30 yards or so is where I live .
Take Care ,
Mick

EllanVannin Fri 20-Nov-20 13:26:07

I laughed at that as well, LadyO. grin

LadyO Fri 20-Nov-20 13:19:20

Hollysteers ‘Sat Nag’ you’ve invented the perfect name for it! ?

Mapleleaf Fri 20-Nov-20 12:24:43

contrast not co trade! ?

Mapleleaf Fri 20-Nov-20 12:24:07

Good afternoon from a dreary, damp and chilly South Yorkshire. It looks set in for the day - such a co trade to yesterday's lovely bright sunshine.

Sorry to read about your little dog, Scentia ?.

Hope your boiler is sorted out once and for all today, grandMattie. It's taking some fixing isn't it?

Take care everyone.

Feelingmyage55 Fri 20-Nov-20 11:46:21

Good morning from a chilly, grey north of Scotland. The morning has whizzed by as a friend phoned for a chat and advice. Hope I helped, but it cheered me up to feel useful. I haven’t been for a walk yet as it is so wet and grey. Hopefully there will be a window when it is not pouring. The tennis is providing a nice brightener to the week. I appreciate whoever invented the freeze key on the remote that allows me to nip to the loo and make a cup of tea, without missing a point.
Looked in the mirror and wonder whether I should try and trim my hair. I only have a 50/50 success rate.
Scentia. ?. I am glad you will see your little grandson today.
Everyone else, have the best day you can.

Irenelily Fri 20-Nov-20 11:43:05

I’ve been watching the Crown too, Hollysteers, I started with the first series which began with all the scandal about Edward the 8th and Mrs Simpson! Being incredibly old, I remember the songs chanted about Mrs Simpson!!
I watched the 1st series with my 13 year old grandson who likes history - that was before lockdown! Good job he isn’t watching the later series - my daughter was really worried about him seeing anything unsuitable! I smiled to myself - I’m sure he’s studied Henry VIII and his 6 wives!

CherryCezzy Fri 20-Nov-20 11:42:57

A good late morning to you all. Cold here in the Gower today.

I've only read a few posts as earlier this morning I had to be rescued with medication given by my WP and promptly, of course, slept for hours afterward.

A happy birthday to your DD dragonfly, I hope she has a lovely day and you enjoy your zoom time together ?

grandMattie I'd love to be able to give blood but I checked it out and can't ?. I think what you do and have done is amazing ?

I hope all the rest of the goodmorningers are alright and can find something to enjoy today, even if for a short while. Take care everyone ❤️

GrandmasueUK Fri 20-Nov-20 11:26:08

Good morning Mick and all who follow from a damp Greater Manchester.

It's my second reading of this thread as I was up earlier but then fell asleep again before posting.

So sorry to hear about Scentia's loss. flowers

Urmston you mentioned your local bookshop yesterday. We've often spent time in there browsing and drinking coffee. I always got my brother's Christmas present from there.

I finally got around to using my Lino cutting set and I love it. The Robin I did in my 4th attempt is acceptable so I might use that as my Christmas card. Thank goodness I have plenty of blank cards to use!

Hope everyone with ills or worries has as peaceful a day as possible. Stay safe flowers

readalot Fri 20-Nov-20 11:19:24

Good morning everyone. Another dark and wet day in Co.Durham. I can't believe it's Friday again. No plans for today except settling in to read my book. Left work to look after my husband who isn't in the best of health two years ago so I can please myself. It's a relief not to have to go to work especially in the situation we're in now as I worked in a shop

Gwenisgreat1 Fri 20-Nov-20 11:09:27

Good Morning all from a dreary Harrogate. Today promises to be pretty hectic, I failed to make my mince meat because my Morrisons delivery was 4 hours late. Will try again after GN posting. This pm we are getting a new TV delivered, this is probably where I find it won't be very smart where I want it! We have 1 smart TV but the internet doesn't often reach it, despite have 'extenders' in the room. Decided it was time to give SIL his telly back that he lent us when we moved in to this house, 5 years ago.
This evening looking forward my weekly chat to my two sisters
Hope everyone can have their best day today.

Auntieflo Fri 20-Nov-20 11:05:22

Good morning*Mick*, Annie, and all, from a cold, but dry bit of Berks.
I haven't been sleeping too well, pain in back and under arm, so am seeing the Dr at midday, after a phone call.
When I did sleep, I had a dream about having a dog, named Bernard. That would be nice. I could do with a doggy cuddle.
I have skim read through a lot of the posts, but will go back and read them properly a bit later.
A few days ago, I ordered something to be delivered to our son in law. The date for delivery should have been yesterday. Email now says, it will be today, when they have arranged to go out. Murphy's law!
Also sending good vibes to our Gilly, in her absence.
To all who are under the weather, get well soonest
Have a good day one and all.

EllanVannin Fri 20-Nov-20 10:55:07

Good Morning All x.
Dull and rainy this morning but not as cold as it was last night. It was quite parky when I let the cats out before settling last night.

One of the cats woke me up walking on my head. I don't know what time it was but I realised that a fox must have been near as I then heard it yapping. I wasn't going to venture out nor let the cats out either, so visited the bathroom and settled back to sleep again.

Wakened again by a loud knock and woke again, but this time it was gone 8 and I didn't know whether it was Christmas Day or Pancake Tuesday grin Addled brain !

Anyway I'd got up, after oversleeping and heard voices outside which was the next door neighbour who'd taken the parcel from the postman to hand to me. I wasn't expecting a delivery until tomorrow but not to worry. I must remember in future that there's always the chance that deliveries could be a day earlier than stated. Well done the GPO.

Well I won the huge collection of art and craft which has an assortment of all manner of things and can be divided between two GGC. Brilliant, so now I'll go to Smyths online and see what else I can order. Things are so bitty this year as I've been used to getting presents in one go, but it can't be helped. This is a year we won't forget in a hurry !

Probably just a dash to the local shop today as Asda will have to go begging I think with not hearing from D and today she'll probably be organising a little tea party for another child whose Birthday I've missed this year, she's 8 today.

I missed the clothes collection ( charity ) this morning so I'll fill the bag over the weekend and ring the number. There's enough here for them to call every week grin

Loved your post Urmston and the " sod off " party. Also your thoughts on Gilly which I reckon are spot on. She's certainly had her share of worries this last couple of years.

Let's hope for a better night for you Susan, nothing worse than anxiety. x

Hope your day is okay too Scentia x

Gelisajams, a worrying time for those concerned as none of us can know how we'd cope with such news. I hope for a happy reunion for all.

GrannySomerset I suppose a kink in the hose has been ruled out ? Along with a skewed connection ? What a nuisance.

I laughed at the " Keyhole Kate " situation from Marydoll. Good idea though.

As Rufus would say, chish and fips today---nice and easy. Enjoyed my saus. and mash yesterday and had decided to fry an onion with the saus, as it browns them and makes them lovely and gooey and sweet-----I could taste them for ages after grin " Many Happy Returns " !

Hope everyone has a pleasant pain-free day. Stay safe and well xx

Taichinan Fri 20-Nov-20 10:34:30

Good morning Mick and all. It's grey and mizzley here on the Angus coast, but it is November - and yesterday was such a beautiful day in spite of the wind and cold. I didn't fall asleep until about 4.45 last night (this morning?) so I've only just surfaced and haven't read the posts on here yet. As there are over 50 of you ahead of me, I thought I'd post before I read!

Yesterday was such a glorious day, and I did so enjoy meeting up with a friend for coffee. As I was just about to get out of my car in the driveway at home another friend pulled up, so I had a long chat with her as well, standing in the sunshine. I'm all chatted out! Come to think of it, I was even 'chatting' online to one of my tai chi ladies at 3.30 this morning! She dropped a message in my inbox, so I knew she was awake too - what nocturnal animals we become in later life.

Today will be quieter - I certainly will be anyway. Just the barest minimum of household tasks - and no doubt a good bit of dozing!

I hope everyone has the best day they can have and finds plenty of smiles today. If the smiles are hard to find I send you ? and ? and a virtual hug.

hollysteers Fri 20-Nov-20 09:57:58

Just to add my thoughts to Scentia, just read earlier posts ?

hollysteers Fri 20-Nov-20 09:56:35

Good morning Mick in Brackley and all from September Lodge, Lancashire
Funeral today with the help of my Sat Nag, not keen on journeys I don’t know.. the crematorium has been changed from the usual, I’m not sure if this is something to do with the pandemonium.
The window ‘cleaners’ came yesterday, didn’t hear them ‘They go through like the wind” my mother used to say, leaving the windows horribly streaked. Phoned them and they redid them.?
Watched The Crown for the first time, oddly compelling but probably only elements of the truth, it did show how isolated Diana was before the marriage.
Must feed the cat.
Thoughts to the troubled.

annsixty Fri 20-Nov-20 09:54:51

Good morning all from a dull day in Stockport.
Wanted to say commiserations to Scentia I am sure we have all been there, my last cat was named Sasha and I still miss her but Molly has filled her place in my heart.
Have the best day you can everyone.
On with some more online shopping today.

Grandmafrench Fri 20-Nov-20 09:46:07

Good Morning from the sunshine and blue skies of the South?? (where it’s warm/21 degrees yesterday, but we have gale force winds rattling all the shutters). All the birds will be flying like Kamikase pilots today.....but the laundry (and it’s definitely a double wooden peg day) will dry in a trice.

Painting my old pine towel stand for the bathroom today. Plan to recycle lots of towels, keeping biggest ones for dog baths, oldest ones cut up for cleaning/garage jobs. Brand new bath sheets will be bought for us. What a minefield it is replacing any household linen online. Maybe just too much choice?

DH currently online, completing our applications for our residence ‘cards’ for France ...again. Our new 10 year permits finally obtained last summer (the search for the Holy Grail travelling on a 3-legged donkey in permanent darkness would have been a cinch compared to that little admin exercise) will be obsolete after 31 December. So, off we go again as we jump into another bureaucratic nightmare.

But hey ho...in the spirit of onwards and upwards we just need to keep well and not sweat the small stuff. I am promising myself there will be lots more of that feeling to come.

Can’t tell you how sad we are for you, Scentia ?. Go easy on yourself until you find your smiles again.

To everyone with struggles, concerns or worries and wherever we are, just like the ???, we must keep turning our faces towards the light and never give in.

Have the best Friday, stay safe.
Warm hugs, ?‍♀️?

Nannytopsy Fri 20-Nov-20 09:35:04

Good morning Mick and all his followers. Lovely morning so far in Suffolk but rain forecast later. Two local villages were on Escape to the Country yesterday (I was ironing ?) and we had only driven through them on Wednesday.
We were very late to bed, after watching Question Time then the following political chat show, which we always try to stay awake for.
Thanks for the recipe Maw. I will make it when we next have a crowd - as someone on a low carb diet, I dare not make it before!
Sorry about your dog Scentia ?.
I hope the day is kind to everyone.

Gelisajams Fri 20-Nov-20 09:19:32

Good morning from a damp Morecambe Bay where yet more rain is to come. We got home late after our drive and walk with DS2. It was all disconcerting during the walk. A couple of women stopped us and asked if we had seen a child in a grey coat. We hadn’t seen anyone. A few minutes later the police helicopter appeared overhead and circled above us for the rest of our walk. As we got off the moors there were police vans everywhere. Very disconcerting. DS2 says there was nothing on social media, so hopefully she has been found safe.
Sorry to hear about Sacha Scentia?
Not a lot planned for today a bit of sewing maybe.
Take care and stay safe everyone ?

GrannySomerset Fri 20-Nov-20 09:13:18

Awaiting the plumber to see if the flooding washing machine saga can be concluded but am not optimistic. Grey morning but not actually raining so might walk up to the village to post Advent calendars to the GC. Carefully wrapped and protected with cardboard, these are most awkward parcels and I don’t want them rained on. I thought that as teenagers (18, 14 and 13) they might be too old but am glad to say they are not. Mind you, DGD1’s mother expected an Advent calendar until I started to buy one for her daughter instead!

Nortsat Fri 20-Nov-20 09:12:50

Good morning Mick and the GM team from grey east London (I must write grey east London a lot because now it comes up on the predictive text ...).

Scentia, I am so sorry to learn that you lost your dear pooch. I must have missed your post yesterday. Gosh they leave a big pooch shaped hole in your life, don’t they.

We spent the best part of yesterday afternoon setting up our new set top box. What a palaver ... the instructions were very scant and they seem to assume a significant amount of existing knowledge. I am a careful reader of instructions and my partner is a ‘Let’s just get on and do it’ kind of man.
In the end we were on the phone for half an hour to the technical help desk. However, it’s up and running now ... hurrah.

It’s cooler weather here today. I will make Leek & Bacon casserole for supper.

Thinking of everyone facing challenges today and sending good wishes to gillybob on the off chance she’s reading.
Have a pleasant day, all. ?

Anniebach Fri 20-Nov-20 09:00:34

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

NannyJan53 Fri 20-Nov-20 08:57:56

Good morning from another wet and dull Black Country. Didn't wake up until after 8am. Still having weird dreams every night. Last night we were travelling around Lindos on the island of Rhodes in our caravan, and found a chippy! They also offered Italian food hmm

Not a lot planned for today, housework and ironing probably, but that can always wait till tomorrow!

Partner has just nipped out on his bike to buy a few provisions we have run out of, like onions etc.

We both had a text yesterday, saying the infection rates in our area (Dudley Borough) are very high. It gives a link to click if you need to book a test. I never click on links from numbers I don't know, so would just go to the Govt website or ring 119. Funnily enough I had the same text about 20 minutes later!

Wishing you all a pleasant day, just hoping gilly is ok. There is so much love and concern here, I hope you are feeling it gilly

harrigran Fri 20-Nov-20 08:50:12

Good morning from an overcast NE.
It was frosty when I went to bed but eased as the night progressed.
Another disturbed night, light out at 11pm but couldn't sleep so retired to the spare room with my book.
DS sent a photo of new washer in situ, so pleased they had managed to man/woman handle it into the utility area.
I had a text message to go online and download a letter from my consultant, hospitals assume we all have smart phones and computers. The consultation will be a telephone one, don't know what they will do about blood test, CT scan and colonoscopy which are due.
Need to go online and buy DS's birthday present, he wants a new phone and DIL sent me a link, makes the job easier.
Have the best day you can.

ginny Fri 20-Nov-20 08:47:56

Good Morning all from a chilly but dry N. Bucks.

New coffee table delivery due and then a short walk.

Must clear up in my craft room. Should have some pictures of the cushions tomorrow.

Just a day of bits and bobs really.

Hope everyone finds some ? today.