Gransnet forums

Chat

Sainsbury’s Christmas advert

(19 Posts)
TwiceAsNice Fri 20-Nov-20 09:18:45

Apparently there has been a lot of unpleasant comments on social media because Sainsbury’s has dared to use a black family in their advert. It’s a lovely advert about a happy close family, they just happen to be black! Why is that so awful, it’s sad that racism has to come into it , why not see it at face value? Nobody would protest if the family was white! I makes me mad!

Grannybags Fri 20-Nov-20 09:32:28

There's already a thread about this titled Unbelievable.

It's quite long now! smile

FarNorth Fri 20-Nov-20 09:34:36

Obviously there's nothing awful about it.
Some people are very nasty and/or stupid.

BlueBelle Fri 20-Nov-20 09:37:39

I started a thread about this yesterday or day before it’s going strong why not join in ?

rafichagran Fri 20-Nov-20 09:38:17

Very nasty and stupid. I understand that the people who object to it are racist though.
Its pathetic in this day and age people think like that.

Joelsnan Fri 20-Nov-20 11:18:17

I suspect it has little to do with actual racism and more to do with balance. There is much talk of proportional representation with regard to inclusivity. It is stated that black residents represent 3% of the UK population. Whereas TV adverts in particular show minimum 50% representation. Majority families are now shown as mixed race as a minimum.

rafichagran Fri 20-Nov-20 18:29:11

It has everything to do with racism. People are so ignorant. If it was a white family people would not be moaning.
What's balance got to do with a advert?

TwiceAsNice Sat 21-Nov-20 08:39:08

Sorry Bluebell I’ve just come back to this and I missed you had started a thread already I’ll go and catch up with it

Parky Sat 21-Nov-20 09:16:26

Joulsnan well said. I am getting a little embarrassed about all the positive discrimination. It is unfair that tv is not proportional in its representation of families.

lemongrove Sat 21-Nov-20 09:32:56

I only saw this much talked about advert last night, my only
‘Beef’ with it as such, is that it’s boring and overlong, but maybe it’s hard to make a supermarket ad all that interesting.
It’s more of a gravy ad really.
In adverts and in tv programmes there is positive discrimination going on, but perhaps that’s a good thing, as for so very long it was as if BAME didn’t exist.It could swing
too much the other way if programmers aren’t careful, but it’s a delicate balancing act to get right.

Missingmoominmama Sat 21-Nov-20 10:01:10

Shopping in Sainsbury’s will be a pleasure now- knowing that it’s a racist- free environment.

Gwyneth Sat 21-Nov-20 10:03:20

I agree Joelsnan I don’t think it’s racism but fair representation. I think if this was done in reverse where a country had an 80% black population and 50% of it’s advertising represented white people there would be complaints.The problem is if we want a country that is equal for everyone we need to fairly represent all races. Black people are definitely over represented in the media currently and this unfortunately only adds further fuel to those people who are racist particularly right wing extremists.

Missingmoominmama Sat 21-Nov-20 10:06:53

And they are people; a family- most of us have/had one; they represent us all because they are British and we live in Britain.

FarNorth Sat 21-Nov-20 10:15:24

I don't suppose it's a conspiracy by all the companies getting together.
They've just all, separately, decided to feature black people in their adverts this year.
White (pinkish actually) people getting upset about it are being ridiculous.

timetogo2016 Sat 21-Nov-20 10:50:04

Racism seems to have reared it`s ugly head since the Lloyd George incident SADLY.
Were all human and colour should NEVER come into anything.
I really like the advert as i do most Christmas adverts.

Doodledog Sat 21-Nov-20 11:33:29

I will ask the same question I asked on the other thread on the subject - how do people feel about the number of people with green eyes in supermarket ads?

FarNorth Sat 21-Nov-20 12:11:41

I haven't noticed people's eye colour in ads as it's harder to see.
I certainly hope that green eyed people aren't over represented, tho.

Daddima Sat 21-Nov-20 12:40:59

timetogo2016

Racism seems to have reared it`s ugly head since the Lloyd George incident SADLY.
Were all human and colour should NEVER come into anything.
I really like the advert as i do most Christmas adverts.

Do you mean because he was the first Welsh Prime Minister?

( Or do you mean George Floyd?)

Daddima Sat 21-Nov-20 12:43:39

FarNorth

I don't suppose it's a conspiracy by all the companies getting together.
They've just all, separately, decided to feature black people in their adverts this year.
White (pinkish actually) people getting upset about it are being ridiculous.

Not always ‘pinkish’.

When I was born, I was black,
When I grew up, I was black,
When I'm sick, I'm black,
When I go out in the sun, I'm black,
When I'm cold, I'm black,
When I die, I'll be black,

But you,

When you're born, you're pink,
When you grow up, you're white,
When you're sick, you're green,
When you go out in the sun, you go red,