Gransnet forums

Chat

Night Owls of Gransnet

(1001 Posts)
FannyCornforth Sun 22-Nov-20 12:24:45

Hello All
I'm often awake in the small hours,
for a variety of reasons which I'm sure that many are familiar with.
So I'm starting this thread for anyone in the same position.
We can chat, share our 3am worries, whatever.
If you fancy popping on for whatever reason, here is the thread for all Night Owls moon
See you later x

Marilla Sun 22-Nov-20 22:51:51

Excellent advice Mogsmaw! Love it! ?

Ellianne Sun 22-Nov-20 22:51:54

They say the more intelligent you are, the less sleep you need!

DillytheGardener Sun 22-Nov-20 22:52:30

I’m also awake in the wee small hours, I had a career that involved shift work but was made redundant after the first lockdown, but I still can’t sleep and it’s been months. Looking forward to sharing my sleepless nights with some friendly voices, thank you FannyCornforth

suziewoozie Sun 22-Nov-20 22:55:02

Ellianne

They say the more intelligent you are, the less sleep you need!

Oooohhhhh that gives our little group a certain cachet.

Blossoming Mon 23-Nov-20 01:41:14

Am I the only one still awake?

sharon103 Mon 23-Nov-20 01:53:31

No, I'm still here Blossoming.

annsixty Mon 23-Nov-20 02:00:16

No Blossoming I haven't been to sleep yet.
This is a new thing for me, I usually go off reasonably well then wake up any time after 2am until 5ish.
6 weeks ago I had an operation and haven’t had one decent night since then.
I just can’t get to sleep, often wake until at least 3am.

I hope to get back to normal eventually.
I think the COVID-19 is not helping and lack of exercise and fresh air in my case.

I read a lot but that stimulates my brain, however I have to do something to wile away the hours.

Witzend Mon 23-Nov-20 02:02:33

Hello night owls! As so often, I’m in the kitchen at 2 am with a cup of cocoa, which might send me to sleep again until about 4.30.

FannyCornforth Mon 23-Nov-20 02:05:00

I'm awake! I go to bed quite (very) early and usually wake up at this time for a few hours.
I've just had to go and get the flipping dog in.
She uses the cat flap, and it's her habit to pop out to the loo around 2am. No problem there, except she uses it as an excuse to go absolutely bananas at the foxes in the field.
Lord knows what the neighbours think.
How has your day been?

FannyCornforth Mon 23-Nov-20 02:06:50

Cross posted with Sharon, Ann and witzend
Your routine sounds like mine witzend.

Feelingmyage55 Mon 23-Nov-20 02:07:44

The cats are fighting outside here!

FannyCornforth Mon 23-Nov-20 02:09:05

I remember that you had your hip done Ann
How's it going? Are you on any medication?

Marilla Mon 23-Nov-20 02:11:47

Hello Night Owls! ?

FannyCornforth Mon 23-Nov-20 02:14:13

Hello Marilla!
Still up, or just woken up?

annsixty Mon 23-Nov-20 02:16:53

Thanks Fanny I am doing fine but I have had to sleep on my back which is so alien to me, which is why I can’t get to sleep.
I am not taking any meds now, I needed pain relief for a couple of weeks but not any more.
I know you have poor health at the moment, is there any more positive news for you?

Marilla Mon 23-Nov-20 02:30:47

I have just woken up. I was reading Olive Again by Elizabeth Strout until well after midnight and fell asleep.

How are your aches and pains Fanny?

FannyCornforth Mon 23-Nov-20 02:33:43

Thanks Ann. Well, they know what it is now. As well as the osteoarthritis, I've got spinal stenosis of the Lumbar region.
I knew that it all originated from my back, but the GPs wouldn't listen hmm
Ive been referred to the spinal team.
Meanwhile my mobility is getting worse. I should be getting a stair lift soon, which I'm sooo excited about!
I'm on amitriptyline now which is helping my back, but my knee has decided that it's a good opportunity to start playing up.
And, I don't know if you know this (there's no reason why you should)
MrC has been in hospital with Covid and pneumonia!!shock
Which is absolutely mad, as we've been shielding.
He was very, very poorly, but he's doing amazingly well. It's miraculous really. He came out last Tuesday, bless him.

Greenfinch Mon 23-Nov-20 02:41:36

Hello all. I have been asleep for a couple of hours but don't expect to get much more. I have run out of books to read and don't like to get up as our stairs are creaky and will wake others up.

Marilla Mon 23-Nov-20 02:44:15

It must be such a relief to have your husband home. Is he needing a lot of support with his recovery?

Greenfinch Mon 23-Nov-20 02:44:36

Good news about Mr. C. Fanny. What a relief for the pair of you.

Marilla Mon 23-Nov-20 02:45:28

Hello Greenfinch!

FannyCornforth Mon 23-Nov-20 02:45:55

Hello Greenfinch
It's horrible when you can't get up and just have to lie there.
What was the last book that you read?
I haven't finished a book for ages.
There was a thread on here a couple of months ago about how difficult people's were finding it to read these days.

FannyCornforth Mon 23-Nov-20 02:50:51

Thank you everyone.
It was a huge relief.
No, he doesn't need much care really.
I was a bit surprised. The only extra medication he has got is massive vitamin D tablets.
His oxygen levels are back to normal, but he gets very, very breathless when he goes upstairs or whatever.
I think it's going to be a very long process.
But I really am amazed at how we he's done. It really does show how much they've learnt about its treatment. I'm pretty sure has he caught it early on it wouldn't have been a good outcome.
Thank you for your kind wishes thanks

Greenfinch Mon 23-Nov-20 02:55:30

I have just finished a library book called A Matter of Trust by Robin Pilcher which I borrowed just before lockdown. I was quite surprised by that thread as I find reading a great solace.DH and I are buying each other books for Christmas so I am wondering what to ask for. Does anyone have any suggestions ?

Marilla Mon 23-Nov-20 03:02:06

Have you read Anne Tyler’s books? They are beautifully written.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion