Gransnet forums

Chat

Christmas music

(164 Posts)
Georgesgran Mon 23-Nov-20 23:21:40

Coming into the Christmas season - what’s your favourite music. Religious or not.
At school in the 60s, we sang Three Kings from Persian Lands Afar - no one seems to have heard of it.
A favourite of mine is Oh Holy Night - I love the key change for the chorus - but only performed by certain singers.

Ashcombe Tue 24-Nov-20 08:55:57

Georgesgran, Chestnut, Greyduster and Jaxjacky: Yes, Three Kings from Persian Lands was a great favourite with me, too. The interplay of the melody with the contrasting four part harmony beneath was quite difficult and reminded me of some of Bach's choral compositions.

Here it is for any who are interested:-

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIedUioo_Jk

Whitewavemark2 Tue 24-Nov-20 08:56:25

Greyduster

I know we don’t get much snow at Christmas these days, but I love Leroy Anderson’s Sleigh Ride; also Delius’s Sleigh Ride, and ‘Troika’, from Prokofiev’s ‘Lieutenant Kije’.

And me☃️

Ashcombe Tue 24-Nov-20 09:01:26

Whitewavemark2

Greyduster

I know we don’t get much snow at Christmas these days, but I love Leroy Anderson’s Sleigh Ride; also Delius’s Sleigh Ride, and ‘Troika’, from Prokofiev’s ‘Lieutenant Kije’.

And me☃️

Me three!!,

CC90 Tue 24-Nov-20 09:11:27

I was pretty much an atheist from early teens but I always lived Xmas carols and it was great being in the school choir and practising for the Xmas concert . Loved all the traditional carols . Hated Little Drummer Boy !

BlueSky Tue 24-Nov-20 09:15:10

‘God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen’ is my all time favourite but I like most carols, trouble is I’m going to cry in the supermarket this year more than ever!

Judi45 Tue 24-Nov-20 09:34:00

Perry Como singing Christmas Dream. Schmaltsy but listen to the words, very appropriate at this time

Dee1012 Tue 24-Nov-20 09:34:42

Like another poster, I really like I Believe in Father Christmas by Greg Lake.
I'm not a fan of carols though.

EllanVannin Tue 24-Nov-20 09:35:05

I'm another who likes Three Kings from Persian Lands Afar. I loved it at school in the 50's but rarely hear it sung except in the Nine Lessons and Carols on Christmas Eve.
We learnt the Latin version of O come all Ye Faithful and when I hear it I can't help thinking of the Latin words when I hear it.

Another old carol is Sleep baby sleep, from schooldays and Masters in the Hall.

Caragran Tue 24-Nov-20 09:39:47

My favourite carol is O Holy Night but favourite song is Fairytale of New York.

Bathsheba Tue 24-Nov-20 09:40:12

Greyduster Troika is one of my all time favourites too, such a magical atmosphere.

As for carols, all my life I've loved Once in Royal David's City, although so many others come close - Oh come Oh Come Emmanual, Guadete, The Coventry Carol, The Carol of the Bells. And how can anyone not love Ding Dong Merrily on High, such a joyful carol. Or Away in a Manger, ever the choice of lisping infants at the school Nativity play.

One I cannot bear to hear is The Little Drummer Boy, for its heartrending association with the evil Moors Murderers sad

Moggycuddler Tue 24-Nov-20 09:47:42

Chris de Burgh, A Spaceman Came Travelling gives me goosebumps. Other than that, I'm not keen on Christmas songs. And SO fed up of hearing the same songs every year since the 1970s, Slade, John and Yoko, Wizzard etc. . . I try to avoid hearing them if I can as they actually make me depressed!

Loobs Tue 24-Nov-20 09:47:52

If you love Christmas music you must listen to this - it is glorious.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7qYeZcOioI

Peewitt52 Tue 24-Nov-20 09:49:00

I love the Pogues Fairytale of New York (sorry Lucretzia). Also Chris de Burgh’s A Spaceman Came Travelling, but I’m also a sucker for any of the traditional carols.

LadyGracie Tue 24-Nov-20 09:49:56

I love traditional hymns, choirs and orchestras. Piped Christmas music in shopping malls and supermarkets I can do without.

Davida1968 Tue 24-Nov-20 09:52:30

Carol: "In the Deep Midwinter".
(Or, sung by children; "Away in a Manger" - which always makes me tearful!)
Christmas song: "Last Christmas: by George Michael.

Grannybags Tue 24-Nov-20 09:55:15

"Yittle" Donkey (as my son used to say!) sung by children

Craftycat Tue 24-Nov-20 09:55:55

Fairytale in New York by Kirstie McCall & The Pogues.
Not a traditional take on the season but a damn good song!! I have it on repeat on my car radio all December every year.

gran5up Tue 24-Nov-20 09:59:35

Sting singing, "I saw three ships" on the " A Very Special Christmas 3" album: see Youtube, sorry I can't do the clever link bit but do have a listen. Traditional song with refreshing strong rhythm.

Blossoming Tue 24-Nov-20 09:59:57

Once in Royal David’s City. That’s when Christmas begins for me ?

sue01 Tue 24-Nov-20 10:01:02

In the Deep Midwinter - blissful !

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 24-Nov-20 10:02:21

We have very similar taste Lucretzia as my favourites are also Greg Lake's 'I Believe in Father Christmas' and 'Merry Christmas, War is Over' by John Lennon and Yoko Ono. 'The Christmas Song' by either Ella Fitzgerald or Nat King Cole gives me a warm glow - such beautiful voices.

I've never liked that wretched song by Kirsty MaColl (RIP) and The Pogues which I find just cynical and horrible.

clareken Tue 24-Nov-20 10:03:12

As a school band/choir we performed Three Kings frrom Persian Lands Afar, with all the harmonies. I still love it. I also like Oh Holy Night and Joy to the World. My favourite at the moment is Little Drummer Boy, performed by Pentatonix.

Chris5640 Tue 24-Nov-20 10:07:51

I am with you Lexisgranny. Oh Holy night and Fairy tale of New York.

Fernbergien Tue 24-Nov-20 10:09:55

Like Judi45 I like Christmas dream by Perry Como. So many people don’t know it and it is worth looking up. Troika as well. And Fairy Tale of NewYork.

EllanVannin Tue 24-Nov-20 10:12:01

In The Bleak Midwinter, another old favourite.
Jona Lewie--Stop the Cavalry.

I'll be getting all the Christmas CD's out of the cupboard next week. Phil Spector to liven things up a bit.

My D used to see the chap from the Pogues----drunk, either getting on or off the Belfast ferry grin I don't think she ever saw him sober.