Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you still send Christmas Cards?

(142 Posts)
vegansrock Wed 25-Nov-20 07:29:40

I remember my late mother in law writing what seemed like hundreds of Christmas cards to everyone she had ever known . She also loved receiving lots back. Given the financial and environmental concerns, it seems card sending is going out of fashion, particularly among younger people. How many cards do you send? Will it be fewer ( or more) this year? I quite like cards to decorate the house, but wonder if anyone would notice if I didn’t send any. My DH never sends any - so is there an age/ gender divide?

Iam64 Wed 25-Nov-20 08:50:46

Yes - especially this year when I haven't seen even close friends since February
I don't want to sound critical but I've long felt, it you want to donate to charity please do so but there's no need to tell everyone you won't be sending cards because the money is going to charity. No offence intended. At Christmas I always donate (more) to our local charity and to the Salvation Army.

Lucca Wed 25-Nov-20 08:51:36

I don’t tell everyone that.

Grannynannywanny Wed 25-Nov-20 08:53:22

For financial reasons I’m considering sending cards to just close family this year. I’m going to send the rest of my Christmas greetings by email or text.

Can I ask anyone who has done this how did you go about it the first year? I was thinking send the Christmas greetings texts/emails a little earlier than I would normally send cards to give the recipients the opportunity to send an e-greeting instead?

travelsafar Wed 25-Nov-20 08:55:20

Lucca we all have mistakes in our lives, please don't be too hard on yourself. sad

I know I have made some big ones and i often wonder if people who don't, can ever really understand the pain that goes with some of them.

Also how do they always know the right thing to do so as not make a mistake that affects them for the rest of their lives.

Greenfinch Wed 25-Nov-20 09:04:08

I love sending and receiving cards. It is one of the nicest parts of Christmas for me and enables me to catch up with friends I have made over the years.I send about 30 and DH sends about 40. They are all from both of us of course but he sends to his side of the family and to colleagues he had when working.

OceanMama Wed 25-Nov-20 09:07:26

Lucca

Actually I’ve grown apart from so many people over the years due to how I feel about myself and the relative mess I’ve made of things so that’s maybe why I don’t send cards........this is the worst time of year for me.

flowers A good friend will understand if you've been through a hard time and drifted away. We all make mistakes and messes sometimes. Maybe a card is a good way to reach out to those you want to reconnect with, if any?

Newquay Wed 25-Nov-20 09:10:29

Oh Luca-do hope there’s someone you can talk to and we’re always here too.
Grannywanny I’ve sent e-cards for a few years now-especially abroad. I send them to “peripheral” folk who I usually contact by email so I know it will be read. You can type up a small (or larger!) newsy bit to copy and paste in. Search free e-cards-I always use 123greetings. It has a lovely nativity scene. I’ve started already (done about 15) post dated 1st December.
The cards I actually send are local hospice ones.

Grannynannywanny Wed 25-Nov-20 09:17:02

Newquay thanks for your advice. I’ll check out 123greetings.

Lucca Wed 25-Nov-20 09:17:02

I haven’t fallen out with anyone. I just feel I’m a failure on a few fronts and those other people aren’t. The problem is exacerbated at this time of year when all the talk is of massive numbers of “family” and “friends”. Ignore me. It will pass, roll on January !

cornergran Wed 25-Nov-20 09:23:38

It seems to me all the more important to send cards this year when relationships have become distanced out of covid necessity. There are people I haven’t seen for years but still exchange cards with. I also use e-cards, for any occasion really. lucca if you’ve addresses why not do as oceanmama suggests? We do all make mistakes, it’s part of being human, please be gentle with yourself.

OceanMama Wed 25-Nov-20 09:27:56

Lucca, I don't have massive numbers of family and friends, more due to circumstance than anything. Many people send cards to all acquaintances, if they send cards at all. It might look like lots of friends but, really, it's sometimes just that they send to many loosely acquainted people. Maybe some really do have that many friends and big families, but I'd find that exhausting. :-)

Bathsheba Wed 25-Nov-20 09:32:17

flowers Lucca, and (((hugs)))

Greenfinch Wed 25-Nov-20 09:32:40

Lucca I have a friend who I think feels exactly as you do. A few weeks ago,after more than 10 years she phoned me. I was absolutely delighted. She did not want to talk about herself but asked me lots of questions about my family and was able to see we were not the perfect family she thought we were.So pick up the phone and contact just one person. It will make their day.

henetha Wed 25-Nov-20 09:35:41

I've cut down quite a lot really but still keep in touch with a few old friends/colleagues etc by Christmas card once a year, usually with news written inside.

Granny23 Wed 25-Nov-20 09:47:59

I am at a bit of a loss as to what to do re cards this year now that I am a widow. His relatives (cousins) have not been in touch for years apart from a Christmas Card. The last time we saw them all was at the funeral of the last of the Aunties and Uncles. I did try to contact the cousin who has taken over the matriarch role from her Mother but they are no longer at the address I have. Nor are they in the phone book. As we could only have 20 in total at the funeral anyway. i.e. immediate family and his closest friends, there was little point in making a big effort to reach them.

I suppose I should just wait and see if any cards arrive and take it from there.

OceanMama Wed 25-Nov-20 09:59:47

Granny23, love to you. This will be a difficult Christmas for you without your husband there. The first ones are always the hardest. I think people would understand if you didn't send cards this year. It's not easy to send cards and leave a name off when signing it. I'd understand if anyone didn't want to deal with that, especially the first year or so. it sounds like a good plan to wait and see who gets in touch with you via card. The cards you receive will tell you a lot about the sender too.

readalot Wed 25-Nov-20 10:28:08

I stopped sending cards a couple of years ago. When you think how many you throw away after Xmas and also the cost of postage. Even me and hubby stopped buying them, just saved them from years gone by. I just donate to charity now

Witzend Wed 25-Nov-20 10:32:51

@Iam64, I do agree.
I’m well aware that the cost of postage is a major reason why people stop sending them, but I’m sure there are others who just can’t be bothered. Admittedly writing cards can seem like quite a chore. And that’s fair enough, only so often it’s turned into a rather pious virtue-signalling thing instead.

In particular I know two couples, both very comfortably off (I do know this) who cite ‘the environment’ as well as charity-giving instead - something of a joke when in normal years they think nothing of 3 or 4 holidays involving flights annually! And could easily afford charity donations as well as cards.
If anyone’s fed up with the hassle of buying and writing them, why not just say so?

Lucca Wed 25-Nov-20 10:35:29

Sorry JE. I have a bad time around about now, and I realise I should just avoid any threads about Christmas, don’t know why I don’t really.

GreyKnitter Wed 25-Nov-20 10:37:06

We send a few to those who are elderly or are not able to receive a Christmas online message. The money we save in cards and postage goes to a nominated charity - we’ve done that for years.

nipsmum Wed 25-Nov-20 10:38:04

I still send cards but they are getting fewer and fewer as the Years go past. I'm of the age when most of my friends don't have electronic devices and its the only way to keep in touch.

Lucca Wed 25-Nov-20 10:38:38

Greenfinch

Lucca I have a friend who I think feels exactly as you do. A few weeks ago,after more than 10 years she phoned me. I was absolutely delighted. She did not want to talk about herself but asked me lots of questions about my family and was able to see we were not the perfect family she thought we were.So pick up the phone and contact just one person. It will make their day.

I know you’re right but I prefer to avoid that just now !

Magrithea Wed 25-Nov-20 10:38:53

We normally send 70-80 (and prune the list regularly) but this year have decided to send only to nearest and dearest and do electronic ones with donations to our preferred charities.

I can highly recommend Jacqui Lawson e-cards (www.jacquielawson.com) - beautifully illustrated cards with lovely music. I've used them for years

Daddima Wed 25-Nov-20 10:44:22

Many years ago my mother was dying at Christmas time, so I didn’t send any cards. The following year I noticed I received far fewer than normal, so I’d been ‘struck off’ lists because I didn’t reciprocate! I have a few phone calls I make at Christmas, and enjoy a telephone chat far more than a card.

Greenfinch Wed 25-Nov-20 10:44:54

Best wishes to you anyway. Cultivate your GN friends. I know you post quite a lot.