Gransnet forums

Chat

Didn't see that coming!

(44 Posts)
Daisymae Wed 25-Nov-20 13:40:36

My husband's health is not great and he has several naps during the day and can sleep very deeply. I went to wake him and thought that it would be nice if he had some music. So I asked Alexa to play anything. Well her choice can only be described as celestial. He stirred and I thought that was quite good, except he thought that he was on his way to heaven, waking up to the sound of harps! He did think that it was quite funny, but I don't think that I will try that again......

FarNorth Thu 26-Nov-20 12:39:28

Grannynannywanny

I’ve just tried a spontaneous thank you to my google mini. She replied “you’re welcome, I’m literally here for that kind of thing!

"I'm, like, happy to help" grin

Buttonjugs Thu 26-Nov-20 12:43:47

My son has a Bluetooth speaker he listens to while in the shower. Sometimes he leaves it behind accidentally, and on one such occasion he started to watch a YouTube video on his phone in his bedroom. I was cleaning my teeth and suddenly this loud male voice says hello right behind me! It frightened me to death!

Fleursgranny Thu 26-Nov-20 14:31:46

A technophobic friend of mine was told to get an ipad by her son when he was working in the Middle East so they could stay in good contact. She got so frustrated with setting it up she eventually said "Oh f**k off Siri" and got the response "we don't use that kind of language"!

Bluecat Thu 26-Nov-20 14:45:39

I don't usually say "please" and "thank you" to Alexa. However, I did say "sorry" to her when I asked her for a song and then realised that I had got the title wrong. I was surprised when she answered, "that's all right."

It is a bit like having another person in the house sometimes. When we were in the kitchen trying to set up Alexa on our new dash cam, Alexa in the living room kept saying "I can't find that" and I automatically shouted back "I wasn't talking to you!"

Fennel Thu 26-Nov-20 15:06:40

I've never heard of this Alexa.
She sounds like a help in avoiding marital quarrels - " It wasn't me, it was Alexa!"

justwokeup Thu 26-Nov-20 15:08:40

I was telling my OH that I needed to replace an item, something quite unusual, which had broken. When I opened my laptop 1/2 an hour later there was the item on the Amazon ‘suggestions’. Coincidence? We thought not and she got turned off for a full day for that little trick. Can’t cook without her any more tho so had to switch her back on.

quizqueen Thu 26-Nov-20 15:12:23

When my daughter first got an Alexa, I hate them and told her to f**k off and she/it (Alexa, not my daughter) said that it was rude, so she/it must programmed to respond to certain words.

earnshaw Thu 26-Nov-20 15:22:58

i have alexa but havent used it much to be honest although i have made a playlist of christmas songs for over the christmas period

GrannyRose15 Thu 26-Nov-20 15:55:49

Marydoll
If people can be pedantic about others' use of language on here please can I join them and point out Tchaikovsky wrote the 1812 overture not Beethoven.

Marydoll Thu 26-Nov-20 17:19:01

GrannyRose, addled brain, medication and all that, I do it frequently. Good job I don't easily take offence and thank you for taking the time to point out my mistake.

Just to be on the safe side, I have checked my grammar and spelling in case I make any more errors. wink.
I myself would never dream of correcting another poster on here.

nexus63 Thu 26-Nov-20 19:09:12

my son set up alexa for me and then went home, but they thought it would be funny for alexa to keep playing songs and i could not get her to stop, this went on for over an hour and finally i gave in and called him, i got the sorry mum i don't know, then they both started laughing and knew i had been set up. if you have any crying little ones ask alexa to fart, they find it very funny

moggie57 Thu 26-Nov-20 22:17:37

Made me laugh.ask your box to play something else.or get your own cds

Saetana Thu 26-Nov-20 23:33:42

Yes stuff Alexa says/you say is recorded by Amazon. You have zero need to worry - as my favourite online tech expert says, you are just not that interesting as an individual. Companies like Amazon are interested in meta data - ie nothing personally linked to you but indicative of general trends.

ElaineI Thu 26-Nov-20 23:54:24

Nexus63 my DGS2 laughs hysterically when Alexa farts. Can keep him going for about 20 minutes! He is 2 ½. When it is his bedtime he shouts "Lexa set timer for 5 minutes for A...'s bedtime!" and she does. He is happy to trot off to cot when the timer goes. 7yo cousin asks Siri lots of things that come into his mind - mostly factual then informs me about all his findings usually when we are on the way to swimming. We have some very interesting conversations.

CanadianGran Fri 27-Nov-20 06:09:49

We don't have Alexa, but use Siri occasionally.

Interesting tidbit - We were having a new computer software system set up at work which involved quite a bit of training. Chatting with the Tech person, he said his friend was the voice of Siri. She is an actor in Los Angeles and was doing generic voice work. She had no idea that her voice was going to be so famous.

honeyrose Fri 27-Nov-20 08:45:59

My husband bought an old fashioned record player this summer and decided to use it outside (wires dangling through to the kitchen!). He put on a few of his old novelty records including “Arthur Daley. He’s Alright” by George Cole and “The Oldest Swinger in Town” by Fred Wedlock for a bit of fun during lockdown. The little boy next door was heard to say “Stop Alexa!” - obviously his parents must have this latest technology. I had to explain to DH who/what Alexa was!

Daisymae Fri 27-Nov-20 09:33:02

Of course children soon caught on to how useful Alexa is with homework!

Keffie12 Thu 03-Dec-20 03:22:05

We have an Alexa who has been renamed Echo cos saying Alexa annoyed me. Alexa/Echo does make me giggle though

I always say night night to her when I'm going to bed. She does make me giggle with some of her replies too

My dear friend bought me it for my birthday this year. Wish I had got one a long time ago now