Gransnet forums

Chat

Advice please on good short series to watch

(45 Posts)
Applegran Thu 26-Nov-20 12:15:51

We are venturing into watching things from Netflix and Amazon and are daunted by the large amount to choose from and are not keen on something with umpteen series. We enjoyed "The Queen's Gambit" and would like some other shorter series to watch now - preferably not all about guns, murder or war, but people and stories to get engaged with and enjoy. I will offer one other we enjoyed "Modern Love" which is on Amazon and is a series of one off stories based on real people. If there was another series of that - I'd certainly watch! Grateful for any suggestions.

Onthenaughtystep1 Sun 29-Nov-20 20:58:43

Shtisel was fascinating, I love learning about other cultures but the ending was very disappointing. I assume they left things up in the air in the hope of a further series being commissioned.
Call My Agent was good, better than Emily in Paris but Spiral is more to my taste, as is The Bridge.
I am beginning to realise quite how much TV we have been watching now there’s little to do. ?

Onthenaughtystep1 Sun 29-Nov-20 20:45:20

We haven’t watched Grace and Frankie Lucca so I’ll put it on our list. We watched Rake quite a while ago and loved it. We were delighted to see Richard Roxburgh in The Crown.

Lucca Sun 29-Nov-20 16:41:23

Onthenaughtystep1

Lucca happy to second “Offspring”. We laughed and we cried and so wished the series had never ended.

Male friend watched first episode thought it was maybe not for him, watched the next then proceeded to watch all of series 1 !!
I think the first ever episode is longer than the others,

Lucca Sun 29-Nov-20 16:39:44

Granarchist

Call My Agent on Netflix - in French with sub titles - it is utterly brilliant - funny, moving, emotional, tense - too too easy to binge watch so we ration ourselves to two episodes at a time.

Oui! Loved it.

hollysteers Sun 29-Nov-20 15:48:40

Shtisel on Netflix is a fabulous series, similar to Unorthodox but I enjoyed it more. Family relationships etc.
I kept referring to it as “Shitsel” when recommending it to friends ?

dragonfly46 Sun 29-Nov-20 14:45:53

I second The Bridge.

Granarchist Sun 29-Nov-20 14:40:37

Call My Agent on Netflix - in French with sub titles - it is utterly brilliant - funny, moving, emotional, tense - too too easy to binge watch so we ration ourselves to two episodes at a time.

Nana3 Sun 29-Nov-20 13:12:59

I recommend The Designated Survivor but it has gone on for too long as they search for new story lines. Gone past a natural ending when the first story line sort of concluded, it feels like they're spinning it out now.

WOODMOUSE49 Sun 29-Nov-20 00:50:25

Netflix:
Unforgotten
Hinterland
Ashes to Ashes
Life on Mars
Criminal (UK)

Lucca Sun 29-Nov-20 00:12:01

Onthenaughtystep1

Lucca as we seem to like the same shows may I suggest you try Rita on Netflix. It’s Danish about a teacher and so far it has been very entertaining.

Another good Australian series is Rake by the way.

Lucca Sat 28-Nov-20 22:29:02

Onthenaughtystep1

Lucca as we seem to like the same shows may I suggest you try Rita on Netflix. It’s Danish about a teacher and so far it has been very entertaining.

Thank you. I wondered about that I’ll give it a try.
I surprised myself by throughly enjoying Grace and Frankie by the way, have you tried it ?

Onthenaughtystep1 Sat 28-Nov-20 21:49:28

Jane10 Sat 28-Nov-20 13:54:54

I loved 'Riviera' too. It just swept me away at a terrific pace. I do enjoy 'visiting' lovely changes of scene via the TV. I recently watched Michael Palin's old 'Round the World in Eighty Days' series and thoroughly enjoyed it. He's such an engaging chap. I found it on BBC i-player.
I do like these threads for TV or books. I've found some great suggestions here. Thanks Grans.

Oldbat1 Sat 28-Nov-20 13:39:11

Loved Mrs Maisel.

Sparklefizz Sat 28-Nov-20 10:29:03

I am watching Series 1 of Virgin River and enjoying it. I watched the film The Military Wives Choir last week based on the true story (can't remember if that was on Prime or Netflix) - it was very good anyway. Also enjoyed Fishermen's Friends film, based on the true story.

Have watched some of Modern Love which I also enjoyed. Must go back to it.

silverlining48 Sat 28-Nov-20 10:00:25

Think we are all grateful, I am
making a note of all recommendations. It’s going to be a long long winter.

Applegran Sat 28-Nov-20 09:38:28

I'm really grateful for all these suggestions - thank you!

paddyanne Fri 27-Nov-20 21:19:19

We've been watching Riviera ,its very good and just seeing sunshine makes us feel better in a dark wet west of Scotland .Not too violent and a lot of twists in the story .

GrandmaKT Fri 27-Nov-20 20:30:46

If you haven't seen it, The Marvelous Mrs Maisel on Prime is wonderful.

aonk Fri 27-Nov-20 20:27:54

If you didn’t watch Life on BBC1 then I really recommend it. 6 episodes. Lighthearted with excellent acting from Alison Steadman and Adrian Lester.

DiscoDancer1975 Fri 27-Nov-20 20:25:05

‘ Life on Mars’ and ‘ Ashes to Ashes’. Quite old now, but brilliant. L.O.M’s is on Netflix, not sure about A. to A.

Nadateturbe Fri 27-Nov-20 20:08:33

Ghosts was very good.
I will try Offspring, thanks folks.

mumski Fri 27-Nov-20 18:51:20

Love ghosts too! It's just a great series

Lucca Fri 27-Nov-20 18:44:28

French series Call my agent is great too.

Lucca Fri 27-Nov-20 18:44:02

Onthenaughtystep1

Lucca happy to second “Offspring”. We laughed and we cried and so wished the series had never ended.

Hooray !! I watched whole series ....twice !