Gransnet forums

Chat

strange leaving gifts or nothing at all

(32 Posts)
Judy54 Sat 28-Nov-20 16:38:34

Did you receive a leaving gift when you retired and what did you think of it. Mine was a hastily bought bunch of flowers (looked like they were from the local garage) even though they knew 3 months before that I was going. Having worked there for 20 years it did seem a bit mean. However they gave me the greatest gift of all by making me redundant which meant I was able to take early retirement and access my works pension. Happy day for me as I was struggling to work with the new Manager that had been brought in. Did you receive an odd gift or nothing at all?

Shandy57 Sat 28-Nov-20 16:50:17

I am sorry, it doesn't make you feel valued does it.
When my husband had to retire due to ill health after twenty five years he got sod all too. Management should make sure people's loyalty and time are acknowledged when they leave - but as you were made redundant I assume everyone was feeling rather upset about it all.

tanith Sat 28-Nov-20 16:51:06

Nothing after 20 yrs I took ill-health retirement. I was off sick due to impending surgery didn't even get a card.

Kate1949 Sat 28-Nov-20 16:53:51

Goodness that's awful. I was in my job for over 35 years. I got more lovely gifts than I could carry.

silverlining48 Sat 28-Nov-20 16:54:10

I was also retired due to ill health following an assault at work and didn’t even get a get well card. That was after 20 years too. It was very upsetting.

Jaxjacky Sat 28-Nov-20 17:02:32

It is strange and not very kind.
I had gifts, very thoughtful/witty speech by my director and a pub send off.

sodapop Sat 28-Nov-20 17:05:58

That's terrible Judy54 How thoughtless.
I must have been lucky I got a dishwasher ( request ) tickets to Phantom in London and some jewellery. I had been there over 30 years and it was some time ago.

Mogsmaw Sat 28-Nov-20 17:10:04

When I left the shop where I had worked for 2 years they gave me a handmade Harris tweed handbag. We were a staff of only 4 and I know how much it cost as we sold it.
It’s probably the classiest think I own and I will treasure it always. I’d worked for places for much longer and with much bigger cohorts but it’s the only gift I’ve ever received.
Some colleagues are just much “nicer” I suppose.

Jane10 Sat 28-Nov-20 17:31:22

I was very lucky and received a large gift voucher, flowers etc and a big farewell dinner. I appreciated my colleagues' kindness but most of all I appreciated the cards and letters from various people with ASD whose care I'd been involved with. Sometimes from the most unlikely ones too!

FindingNemo15 Sat 28-Nov-20 17:43:41

My DH was medically retired after 35 years and got zilch, not even a card.

Callistemon Sat 28-Nov-20 17:46:54

I left rather like that too tanith but they had a collection and gave me a garden centre voucher and I bought a garden seat which we still use frequently.

Beauregard Sat 28-Nov-20 17:50:39

In my experience if you were made redundant you would just receive your redundancy and notice payment (often a substantial amount after years of service) with no more than a token gift and no collection from colleagues.

Retirement was a different matter, with a presentation and a gift from the company as well as a collection from work colleagues.

It would be really mean if the company and work colleagues didn't mark the occasion when it was purely a retirement though, with no compensation for losing your job.

I retired last year after 20 years and received a fabulous day out for me and all my family with a four course meal and champagne, as well as an engraved vase. Colleagues bought me flowers and vouchers. But I didn't receive any payment or compensation for giving up my job.

BlueSapphire Sat 28-Nov-20 17:51:59

I was very lucky too and received a voucher for a china shop (requested by me as I wanted to add to my Lladro nativity set) , flowers and other gifts. And as it was the last day of the summer term we had an extended staff lunch with outside catering!

tanith Sat 28-Nov-20 17:52:34

Its awful to read similar stories, I was most disappointed that my colleagues didn't even bother to contact me to see how I was or to say goodbye it upset me for a long time, I wasn't wanting gifts.

Calendargirl Sat 28-Nov-20 17:58:02

I received a gardening gift set, kneeler, a couple of enamel type little plant pots, hand cream, bird feeder. Quite nice, but I’m not a keen gardener. A bouquet from area manager.

What meant far more were the gifts from customers, (I was a bank clerk).

Cards, flowers, chocolates, wine, even the chap who serviced the lift came with some chocs.

Callistemon Sat 28-Nov-20 17:58:21

That's unkind, tanith and for others who must feel hurt.

Ladyleftfieldlover Sat 28-Nov-20 18:04:40

When I retired in 2014 I had worked in my job for 19 years, and I loved it. There was a leaving dinner with speeches, my favourite purple flowers, gifts of theatre tickets and table mats. I was invited to the next term’s students leaving do, which I attended.

Jane10 Sat 28-Nov-20 19:00:08

It's very sad that some of you left without any recognition of your work and the years you'd put into it. Here's something from me thankswine

Alegrias2 Sat 28-Nov-20 19:07:47

I retired during the first lockdown. I didn't get any gifts as we were all working from home and it would have been impossible to organise - we were still all going about in a daze. On the day I left I just went into a deserted office and left my laptop, phone etc on my desk for the IT guy to pick up later.

However I spent the whole day before I left on the phone to the people I had worked with, or answering the kind emails they sent me wishing me well. I'll remember that long after any flowers they could have given me would have faded.

Marydoll Sat 28-Nov-20 19:14:53

When I went off ill and was never able to return to my teaching job, I received a substantial sum of cash and gifts from parents.

I felt embarrassed by the large amount, so I donated it to Mary's Meals in the name of my former school, where it allowed a fair number of children to be fed and educated for a year.
That was the perfect gift for me.

Judy54 Sun 29-Nov-20 14:01:14

Thank you for your responses. As I said this was not just redundancy but early retirement for me, for some of my other younger colleagues it was redundancy and the need to look for other employment whereas I could access my pension and not need to work again so it was much more difficult for them. The expectation from our workmates was that we would lay on a leaving party with food and drink, we decided collectively that this was not what we wanted as we did not feel that there was anything to celebrate. Perhaps that is why they took umbrage and did not feel that we were worth them putting their hands in their pockets. Nonetheless it was very disappointing for us all.

AGAA4 Sun 29-Nov-20 16:01:24

People can be very uncaring at times. How thoughtless not to make your last day a bit special Judy

Judy54 Sun 29-Nov-20 16:48:42

Thanks AGAA4. When I left my previous company after 15 years to take up this job I had a lovely leaving do and received many beautiful gifts so not having my retirement acknowledged even though it was through redundancy was hurtful. Says a lot about the people that I worked with.

Cabbie21 Sun 29-Nov-20 16:59:42

I had a lovely leaving do when I retired: a meal out with my Department( including being driven there and back), many gifts which I still use or enjoy, also many gifts and cards from pupils, a garden seat and a glass bowl. I was sad to leave, but it is surprising how quickly you move on.
DH retired at the same time. There was a leaving dinner with staff, spouses, school governors etc, but for the first time, no speeches. I was very upset for him as he had worked there over 30 years and given over and above the call of duty. His gift from the Governors was a silver-plated tray which resembled one you might have bought in Woolworths. He has lovely memories of some pupils over the years but was badly treated by a succession of Heads.

BlueBelle Sun 29-Nov-20 17:17:43

Nothing from my employer or department but some little gifts from workmates and one did a dinner for me and six workmates after the event ...I got a card signed by them all but it did feel a bit of a non event after 15 years