Gransnet forums

Chat

Finding things in odd places.

(66 Posts)
NanKate Mon 30-Nov-20 21:08:26

I have glasses for daily use plus computer glasses. This morning I couldn’t find my daily glasses I hadn’t been anywhere so I knew they were somewhere hiding in the house. I literally searched every nook and cranny to no avail. When I went to remove my cold hot water bottle from the bottom of the bed, there were my glasses covered up by the duvet. ?

Then I couldn’t find my facial wipes which I had used the previous day. Yet again a thorough search of the house including inside the bed ! Eventually I found the packet in the bin with the used facial wipe.

What a Wally ?

Please make me feel better by telling me you do daft things like this.

mrswoo Wed 02-Dec-20 10:22:52

My mother couldn't find her reading glasses one evening - they turned up later in the casserole that had been slowly cooking in the oven.
They were nicely simmered but unfortunately so out of shape she could no longer see out of them.

EllanVannin Wed 02-Dec-20 10:27:15

D'oh ! I was looking for my glasses to read the paper the other day and I already had the darned things on ! Nothing down for me grin I muttered to myself " you silly old bat ".

paddyanne Wed 02-Dec-20 10:33:24

Hetty you are so right ,its an attention overload.I've been doing daft stuff since I wa a teenager.My family never let me forget the cheese pudding made for supper that I took out of the oven and put straight into the bin...Iwas 14.Now when mislay things I look in the most unlikely places ,the cup of coffee can be in the bathroom cabinet or or on the shelf at the front door .Christmas presents are a nightmare ,I know I bought them just not where I put them and often find things in Spring

GrannySomerset Wed 02-Dec-20 10:33:49

When all else fails and we can’t find whatever we have misplaced we have to wait until our wonderful cleaner next comes. She is brilliant at finding things and we think must have been a bloodhound in a previous existence!

Petalpop Wed 02-Dec-20 10:36:10

On a Monday a friend and I go for a long walk through the surrounding countryside. She stopped for a wee in the bushes and I thought I would check my emails. Could not find my glasses - must have dropped them en route. We backtracked with our noses to the ground for a long time and in the end I said there is no hope lets just make tracks again. When I got home after our extended walk I rang to tell her that I found at the bottom of my rucksack. I think I heard laughter at the other end of the phone!!!!!!!!!

GrandmasueUK Wed 02-Dec-20 10:37:52

NannyJan53

I was babysitting for DD once, I arrived home to a phone call of "do you know where our TV remote is?" It turned out to be in my handbag!

I went away for a weekend and had taken the handset from the landline. My daughter was not best pleased! grin

hf59 Wed 02-Dec-20 10:52:02

Once found my glasses on top of a wardrobe ....another time drove home from the library and noticed my purse on the car roof (have actually done this twice now ... 2nd time was in the pasty shop with no purse - retraced my steps back to the open air car park - purse on top of the car roof!)

grandtanteJE65 Wed 02-Dec-20 11:04:36

Only yesterday we came home from shopping, which we are allowed to do here, so don't yell at me, please, unapcked the shopping, carefully putting all the receipts and the remainder of the stamps I had bought to post Christmas cards on the kitchen counter.

Picked up receipts etc to go upstairs and do my housekeeping accounts. Did them, and could I find the chit from the post office, or the stamps?

Went downstairs, no joy, back up and there on the side of my desk were the stamps staring at me! Receipt for same in waste-paper basket.

No, you are not alone.

BelindaB Wed 02-Dec-20 11:22:39

I'm a monster about car/house keys after losing a set at a concert years ago. I have a key rack behind the front door and keys are hung on there AUTOMATICALLY.

The capitals are because muscle memory now makes sure I never forget to hang them up.

Years ago, a friend arrived in hysterics because she hadn't been able to find her mobile 'phone. My son called it....only to find she'd been sitting on it on the car seat...and her bum is so flabby she hadn't felt it - it's not a short drive from hers to mine, either!

vickya Wed 02-Dec-20 11:46:48

Nankate, have you got a cat? They sometimes pick things up and make a nest to hide them in. One thing might be you not remembering but two in the same place could be a cat.

Chicklette Wed 02-Dec-20 11:55:18

Last week I was on the phone to a colleague/friend. I wanted to read her something from a text I’d received so I looked everywhere for my phone.... which I was using to talk to my friend!

allsortsofbags Wed 02-Dec-20 12:47:29

What is it about Freezers ??? Reading some posts it seems as if lots of lost things turn up in freezers :-)

Years ago I spent two days looking for my purse before finding it in the freezer :-)

Also my OH seems to think that I have total recall of everywhere he might put anything.

I have however, found a lost packet of his guitar strings in the bottom of the ironing basket.

Not as daft as it sounds as he restrings his guitar in the same spare room we use for ironing.

DD's say "it's not lost until mum can't find it" I wish that were true :-)

Hilarybee Wed 02-Dec-20 12:52:04

I find I often ‘mislay’ things when I have a lot of other things on my mind too eg Covid, Christmas, state of the world, etc etc

sharon103 Wed 02-Dec-20 14:05:54

I need glasses to find my glasses NanKate.
I'm forever searching round my house to look for them.

Tibbs Wed 02-Dec-20 14:14:26

Had some hand shears sharpened, brought them home, came to use them- haven’t found them since! Apparently if you know you’ve forgotten or lost something then that’s ok. It’s when you’re not aware that dementia sets in.

Patticake123 Wed 02-Dec-20 14:24:26

Not so long ago my shoe polish had somehow found its way into the freezer!

netflixfan Wed 02-Dec-20 14:49:22

Facial wipes bad for your skin and the environment. A nice clean flannel is cheap and harmless xx

Rumpunch Wed 02-Dec-20 15:06:31

I believe it is because our brain moves on to the next job before we finished the last.
I came downstairs with dirty washing and instead of moving wet washing across from washing machine into the tumble drier I just put the dirty washing straight into the tumble drier and put the clean washing on for a second wash!
I've put the butter on the front doorstep and empty milk bottles in the fridge before too.
I love some of you tales but there is no like button.

Phloembundle Wed 02-Dec-20 15:34:10

If I really can't find something I call on St. Anthony. Never failed yet.

EmilyHarburn Wed 02-Dec-20 15:58:13

In order to keep control of my glasses and masks I have them round my neck. My mask is an ETSY mask with a long elastic round the neck, through the sides and up to a toggle. When not in use the mask is round my neck, the glasses are on a string of beads with loop ends. So both are round my neck when not on my face or nose.

narrowboatnan Wed 02-Dec-20 16:03:30

EllanVannin

D'oh ! I was looking for my glasses to read the paper the other day and I already had the darned things on ! Nothing down for me grin I muttered to myself " you silly old bat ".

I’ve frantically searched for my mobile phone only to find I have it in my hand along with my purse! Knickers in a twist for no reason ?

CBBL Wed 02-Dec-20 16:04:09

It's nearly always Glasses with me, too! I need one pair for "seeing" and another for "reading". If I have my reading glasses on, I can't see to search for things (I can only see clearly when looking at papers or screens that are inches away from me). My biggest problem is finding things in the filing cabinet! I need "seeing glasses" to read the "tags" ON the suspension files, and reading glasses to identify anything IN them. Now that's a REAL pain that regularly drives me crazy, trying to find things in either pair!!!

JaneRn Wed 02-Dec-20 16:43:16

I find that if you are looking for one thing you will nearly always find another which was lost some time before!

My particular problem is pens. I am forever buying them but can never put my hands on one when I need it, particularly the note pad by the telephone. I am convinced there is a pen goblin in the house, a close relation of the sock gremlin who hides socks but I have never discovered where. Reading your comments, perhaps I should look in the freezer that is when I find my glasses!

Moth62 Wed 02-Dec-20 17:26:22

JaneRn, you could do what I used to do where I worked and that is tie the pen to the phone with string. Mind you, i often ended up with just the cap left still attached to the string! ?‍♀️ When my children were young, I’d taken some pork chops out of the freezer to make tomorrow’s dinner. On my way back from the freezer, I picked up this, tidied away that, as you do. In the middle of the night I suddenly woke up wondering what I’d done with the chops. Not in the fridge, not anywhere on the way back from the freezer. Two days later, I found them in the kitchen cupboard where I’d obviously put them down to put away the tumblers I’d picked up along the way. Oh dear. And I was still only in my early 40s at that stage...

Justwidowed Wed 02-Dec-20 17:57:05

I couldn't find my dentures and my late husband eventually found them in the kitchen bin which fortunately was virtually empty. Heaven knows how they got there !!