Gransnet forums

Chat

Will other supermarkets follow suit?

(35 Posts)
Sarnia Wed 02-Dec-20 08:56:56

Tesco have repaid almost £600m to the Government. They received it as part of the business rates holiday scheme during the pandemic. The supermarket says it has weathered the storm and does not need to keep the money. Good for them. They just need to stop providing/selling carrier bags and I will be a happy woman.

JaneRn Wed 02-Dec-20 16:49:22

I bay 40p to have my shopping delivered in plastic bags which I then re-use as bin liners. Don't know how I could manage to carry it indoors otherwise.

Georgesgran Wed 02-Dec-20 18:25:09

Going back to the OP - I believe Taylor Wimpey (and others) didn’t take advantage of the furlough system in the first place.

Yes, Tesco has probably done well during the virus but it’s still a good move and I hope others will follow suit. As I said to a friend the other day, a lot of company’s have made a huge killing during the virus.

nipsmum Wed 02-Dec-20 18:31:47

Crate liners ate great. Certainly better than loose items being deposited on the floor on the hall.

David0205 Wed 02-Dec-20 19:12:11

The supermarkets in general made record profits on the back of Covid, having hovered up the trade of small shops pubs and restaurants that have had to close.
It would look really bad to declare record profits when others are on the breadline, expect most of the others to do the same.

FranT Thu 03-Dec-20 16:56:44

My Tesco delivery man brings the crate liner into my kitchen, then I empty them when he has gone, they're are all very pleasant and obliging.

Timsmum Fri 04-Dec-20 11:53:47

Morrisons have also paid the goverment back ,good for them .Had to learn how to shop on line when in lockdown and Morrisons have been excellent,,no problems at all

twinnytwin Fri 04-Dec-20 12:00:19

Sainsburys, Aldi, Asda are paying it back too and it's just been announced that Lidl will too. Waitrose wont be, due to the trading problems with John Lewis.

Nescient Wed 16-Dec-20 06:24:36

Baggs

Elusivebutterfly

Mrsthreadgoode - How did you manage the crate liners? I was surprised to see them as they seemed pointless. It is impossible to bend down and lift up a whole crate full of food.

For some people it might be. The crates don't weigh nothing and, if you're lifting them all day long....

@Baggs: I'm puzzled by your comment. Elusivebutterfly was talking about customers having to lift a whole crate's worth of shopping in a tray liner - which even once a week is for some impossible. Yet you're talking about lifting crates...and all day long. (???)

Nescient Wed 16-Dec-20 06:41:04

I'm staggered by the many short-sighted posts here, of the ilk: 'Tray liners are great!' and 'Just lift all your shopping in one go!' (I paraphrase.)

It is impossible for my elderly and disabled mother to lift even a carrier bag filled with groceries - e.g. tinned goods - and she normally has to drag them by their handles, with her cane, from the front door through to her kitchen several metres away. Tesco's tray liners are therefore useless - in being too large and having no handles.

Tesco told me last week that their delivery drivers carry bags for those who need them, and that part of a driver's job is to split the tray's contents into carrier bags if asked. Yet my mother was told by one of her drivers the very same day that 'we don't have carrier bags on the vans any more'. Ho-hum.

As for those here who advocate a driver bringing their food into the house (e.g. into the kitchen) - have you heard of this thing going around called COVID-19? Bit nasty, apparently, so people are being warned to stay away from strangers.

Delivery drivers from ANY company should therefore be unwelcome in your home - especially since they're visiting so many other properties every day. My Mam has been shielding since March, so delivery drivers are prohibited from even entering her flat, never mind swanning though into the kitchen.

So wake up, people, to the practicalities AND the risks of home delivery.