Gransnet forums

Chat

Will other supermarkets follow suit?

(34 Posts)
BassGrammy Wed 02-Dec-20 10:51:05

I should think Tesco have done well and very public spirited to pay the money back!
As far as the crate liners are concerned, you can choose when you place your order whether to have them or not, in fact I think they are actually making a charge for them now. I do click and collect so it’s easy to put a couple of crates on the car and transfer the shopping in.

henetha Wed 02-Dec-20 10:31:14

I like the crate liners. It's easier to deal with the shopping in them. My only concern is, can they be recycled?

jaylucy Wed 02-Dec-20 10:09:40

I wish Asda used crate liners!
We do click and collect and from doing our own shopping and using or own bags, Asda's click and collect use really thin carriers for their orders- non contact collection where the orders are placed in lockers and the customer receives a text message to say where the order can be found.

Kate1949 Wed 02-Dec-20 10:02:36

The crate liners are fine. We have them.

DotMH1901 Wed 02-Dec-20 09:59:15

Well done Tesco for handing the money back. I bet many other food stores did very well during the last nine months and didn't need to be subsidised by the tax payer, hopefully we will see other stores handing back money too.

Elusivebutterfly Wed 02-Dec-20 09:28:40

Mrsthreadgoode - How did you manage the crate liners? I was surprised to see them as they seemed pointless. It is impossible to bend down and lift up a whole crate full of food.

Missfoodlove Wed 02-Dec-20 09:09:31

For years Tesco had a complex string of off shore accounts in the Caymen Islands.
They used a loophole to avoid over 1 billion pounds of tax.
Looks like a guilty conscience!

MrsThreadgoode Wed 02-Dec-20 09:08:39

Good for them indeed, my last shop came with a crate liner, better than bags and can be reused in the car with the dog, I hope they are biodegradable , but there isn’t any writing on them.

Sarnia Wed 02-Dec-20 08:56:56

Tesco have repaid almost £600m to the Government. They received it as part of the business rates holiday scheme during the pandemic. The supermarket says it has weathered the storm and does not need to keep the money. Good for them. They just need to stop providing/selling carrier bags and I will be a happy woman.