Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday

(77 Posts)
12Michael Sat 05-Dec-20 06:08:59

Good Morning Everyone,
Its looking dry and cold out there despite being dark this morning as usual.
Hopefully today , I will bus to Buckingham and then Bicester and may return that way .
I am hoping that someone who I have become friends with gets on the buckingham bus so I can give her a xmas card .
Return home and maybe a Chinese take away later .
Take Care ,
Mick

dragonfly46 Sat 05-Dec-20 08:09:39

Good morning, there was a beautiful pink sky in Leicestershire earlier.

Happy Birthday Pantglas.
Good news about Iris.

May decorate the tree today.

Best wishes to everyone.

Grammaretto Sat 05-Dec-20 08:13:30

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders.
Most of the snow has melted and I don't have to go anywhere today.
Thanks for your messages and wishes over the last days.
The funeral is over. Despite being tiny, it was eventful! The car had to be cleared of snow and the route was very wet but the service was fine.
Although I was sorry the his mum couldn't come as she's isolating, I was glad that she didn't have to freeze to death and because it was streamed she joined online with her "bubble".
It was their 76th wedding anniversary yesterday.
We will surely need a proper celebration when we can.
I am glad your DGD is able to come home. grandMatte and hope she manages the obstacles.

I wish I could share some of the flowers I have here. It's like a florist's shop!

Stilllearning Sat 05-Dec-20 08:13:59

Morning from a pitch black S Lanarkshire. I know I'm a bit earlier than usual but it looks like the middle of the night. Roll on the 20th and inching towards the light. Snow all gone here thank goodness, DD4 drives to work over roads which are horrible in bad weather and after a back shift it's a midnight return journey.
I read the posts last evening and was glad to see you back Grandmafrench, I've missed your shafts of sunshine, especially now we no longer get the Malaga Echo! I hope you return to full health soon.
More card writing for me today and a walk later hopefully. Last night I watched 42nd Street on You Tube, it was such a treat, a real lift to the spirits, I tapped my way into the kitchen for my coffee!
Glad to see Iris is to be home soon and good wishes to everyone for a decent day. I'm feeling relieved this morning because there are no evident ill effect from having an out of date piece of salmon for dinner last night, just couldn't bring myself to not use it!

Jaxjacky Sat 05-Dec-20 08:14:19

Good morning all from a dull, chilly S Hants, it poured at about 3 this morning and woke us both up, now it’s dry.
Happy birthday Pantglas ?. Good news on Iris ? she gets home today. And MissChateline to be reunited, that’s your Christmas sorted!
Carpet all laid yesterday, such a difference, the old one was very old, it’s like having bouncy flooring. I was bemoaning to DH last night on the rubbish TV this evening, suggesting a film, I was hastily reminded Leeds FC are on the box, that’s me corrected. Two boxes of stuff to replace in cupboards emptied yesterday, a play with the new Christmas lights, washing on and a quick walk is today’s plan before I start the Saturday crossword.
Stay safe all.

Pittcity Sat 05-Dec-20 08:15:07

Good morning from a grey but dry Colchester. Yesterday's snow is but a memory. It had all gone by the time DS got home from Hampshire. He thought we'd made it up.
Will play today by ear with a takeaway tonight.

Happy Birthday Pantglas?

Gingster Sat 05-Dec-20 08:15:37

Good morning all. Brrrrrr!

I went gift shopping yesterday with DD and we had so many bags that I bought us a shopping trolley. Best thing I’ve ever bought ! We got everything in and it was a breeze! I often wanted one but always said I’ll never be seen dead with one. It’s brilliant!

DD’s birthday tomorrow, so we’re having a birthday lunch here today. She’ll spend tomorrow with her partner .

Happy birthday Pantglas have a splendid day ?

Granmattie so pleased for your family that IRIS is coming home ?

misschateline what happy news for you.

Harrigran why not try a cordless, lightweight vacuum. They’re great and so easy to push around. Several in the market. ?

Grammaretto hope all went well for you yesterday. Take it easy today. ♥️

My DB ‘s wife went into care this week as she has advancing dementia. I phoned him last night to see how things are going. He’s very sad but relieved that she has professional help. It’s a beautiful home. Brand new and costing a fortune. At least he’s now getting some sleep and can relax.. such a cruel condition.

Hope all feeling poorly have a better day. ??

Marydoll Sat 05-Dec-20 08:26:11

Good morning all from a very wet Glasgow, we missed the snow yesterday.

Happy birthday Pants! ????
Great news Grandmattie, but a nightmare for Iris, having to cope with the stairs. I'm pleased to hear you are well enough to get out and about again, Mick.

No plans today and no visit from DD as we are in Tier 4 and she lives on the other side of the county line. She only is allowed to come with essential items or medication. It's difficult to deal with, but I totally support the the Scottish Govt measures to keep us safe, by restricting unecessary travel between areas. We all have to do our bit.
However, I do miss being out and about and the company of my friends.
Our local shopping Mall, where I was a frequent visitor, has a Debenhams and a number of Arcade group stores I won't recognise it when I eventually get out of prison.
Having been stuck here since March, I think I may be becoming institutionalised! ?

MOB, your fell walk sounds very invigorating , I'm experiencing a bit of fresh air envy ?. I feel for your DD, Urmston. My driving days are numbered I fear, so I will probably give my car to DD, as my SIL had to scrap his and they are now sharing, which isn't ideal.

Hoping that Grammaretto pops in. Have a good day all, especially Miss Chatelaine, who must be bursting with excitement!!!

Gingster Sat 05-Dec-20 08:27:48

GG your tree is beautiful. ,

Beechnut your day out sounds wonderful

Urmstongran Sat 05-Dec-20 08:29:56

Good morning everyone from South Manchester. I tried to post an hour ago & lost my message. Grr! So annoying.

So the shortened version .... ?

Our daughter is coming over from Yorkshire by train this morning to pick up the keys and borrow our little car for a few weeks. Means she can get to work on the motorway and gives them wriggle room to have a think about finances going forward. We are retired & can manage easily enough without it. Tier 3 anyway - where are we going?

Day 8 of our quarantine out of 14. Can’t believe it’s halfway through already! Himself will be watching Man. Utd this afternoon and tonight we are going to order a takeaway curry. Lovely!

Will catch up now on all your posts. I got as far as Pantglas earlier before my iPad had a wobble.

Hope Saturday is good to us all. So pleased to hear that Iris is homeward bound today grandMattie. I had to smile when you said you were ‘just sewing and baking’ today. Only clever peeps would describe that as ‘just’! Keep safe everyone that’s the main thing.

Ps Do I give our daughter a big hug when she arrives? We’ve not seen her since January .... would you? Technically it’s not allowed.

ginny Sat 05-Dec-20 08:34:19

Good Morning.

Happy Birthday Panglas ?

Pleased to hear Iris is on her way home.

Discovered yesterday afternoon that some gifts I had ordered would not be arriving until February ! So spent a frustrating afternoon cancelling them and locating elsewhere. Managed to sort it eventually but Ggrrr !

Finished another Christmas cushion while watching 42nd Street on YouTube.

Today we will do a local food shop and I have some baking to do. I must also write the Christmas cards. I think I’ve said that before.

Hope you all find a ? today.

Greyduster Sat 05-Dec-20 08:37:22

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. It’s dry in South Yorkshire after a dry wet night, but it’s going to be a cold one. Not much going on here today except that now that all the Christmas decorations are heaped in the conservatory, I suppose we’ll have to put them up, just to stop the place looking like a bombsite! Chicken, mushroom and smoked bacon risotto for supper.
Happy Birfdae, Pantglas! Hope you have a lovely day??! Have the best Saturday you can, folks.

Georgesgran Sat 05-Dec-20 08:38:06

Good morning from Durham. Did we have some rain yesterday-it never stopped, but no snow. I’ve a money off coupon on it’s last day to use, but not sure how busy Sainsbury’s will be - I’ve avoided weekend shopping for years.
DH’s peripheral neuropathy is getting worse - it’s wearing him down and there doesn’t seem to be much available to help. He says he really doesn’t know if he can stand it for the rest of his life - his current treatment goes through until May next year, but he’s been told the PN will be permanent.

Others are in a worse boat of course and my thoughts are with those who are in distress for whatever reason. Pleased that others are on the up too.It would be nice to hear from Gilly and is Spangler around, or have I missed something? X

Beauregard Sat 05-Dec-20 08:39:41

Good morning everyone. It's dry and bright here in Derbyshire.

We're looking forward to a quieter day today after having DGS for two days. His class was closed as his teacher was off with a bad cold hmm. It was lovely having him here but we're ready for some normality, watching the racing and rugby and trying to sort out Christmas. I say trying because every time I think of Christmas I get a sinking feeling and just can't muster up any enthusiasm for it.

Yesterday we had our long awaited flu jabs, my first one ever. I wasn't bothered about having it as I don't think I need it yet but was happy to comply. It's the next vaccination that I am really looking forward to having ?

DH has just returned with the papers, so I'll get another coffee and read them.

Happy birthday to Pantglas ?? Have a lovely day.

Hope Saturday is a good day for all.

Gingster Sat 05-Dec-20 08:50:20

‘Urmston* YES, YES, YES.

brook2704 Sat 05-Dec-20 08:53:22

Awww that’s so kind of you urmston to lend your DD your car for a little while! I imagine she’s relieved to say the least.... and yes I think I’d go for the hug but ? .....

Marydoll Sat 05-Dec-20 08:53:56

I just had to share my good news. KLM have just emailed to say they are refunding at long last, our cancelled flights to Rome! We had given up hope and written it off.

Georgesgran, your poor DH. I think there is another member on here, who suffers from that condition. I can understand how debilitating the pain must be. I had nerve damage after an op to repair fractured vertebrae and that was unbearable, but nothing like your husband's pain.
I always think we overlook the pain of those of having to watch a loved one suffering. These ? are for you.

Urmstongran Sat 05-Dec-20 08:54:38

Many happy returns of the day to you Pantglas I hope you have a super day, whatever your plans.

I agree with you about the television being rubbish harrigran. No wonder I read so much.

The Malaga Echo comment made me giggle stilllearning!

You’re so right GG13 about a mum’s happiness being dependent on that of her unhappiest child. I’ve always found that to be true. I’m very soft which doesn’t help me compartmentalise - which some of my more robust friends are able to do!

Anniebach Sat 05-Dec-20 08:57:42

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Alygran Sat 05-Dec-20 08:59:43

Good morning from North Yorkshire. It’s all blue sky and sunshine here so far. That’s a contrast to yesterday when it rained so much the guttering couldn’t cope.
Today will be spent present wrapping and finishing the Christmas cards.
Happy birthday Pantglas. Good news about Iris
Grammaretto my thoughts are with you.
Take care and stay safe everyone.

NannyJan53 Sat 05-Dec-20 09:02:14

Good morning from a damp and chilly Black Country.

No real plans today, I suppose I have got used to saying that, but it really is starting to get me down now. Roll on next year where hopefully we can have a semblance of normality.

Happy Birthday Pantglas cupcake wine

Really thrilled to hear Iris will be home soon grandMattie

How wonderful for you Misschateline that you will be with your partner for Christmas after so long apart. This virus has a lot to answer for.

Mum and Dad to the rescue Urmston that is exactly what I would do if one of mine was in the same predicament.

Georgesgran I can imagine how your DH feels, my love and thoughts are with you both.

Love to everyone struggling at the moment, and special thoughts as always to gilly

gillgran Sat 05-Dec-20 09:05:05

Good Morning to you all, from a brighter, dryer Cambs.,

Happy Birthday Pantglas, hope you have a good day.

Pleased that grandMattie's Iris is progressing well.

Lovely photos on here again today, thank you.

flowers for you all.

Take Care Folks

baubles Sat 05-Dec-20 09:07:22

Good morning Muck, morning all form a dreich South Lanarkshire. No sign of the snow which caused chaos in the town yesterday with minor collisions galore and cars, lorries and trucks stuck everywhere. It can be bad enough within snow when truck drivers who aren’t familiar with the town follow their sat navs and then find the narrow streets impossible.

Good to see you Grammaretto, glad the snow didn’t impact too much on yesterday.

All good wishes for little Iris today grandMattie. Happy news that your other half can be reunited with you MissC but sad for Ashcombe that her planned journey probably won’t happen.

Happy Birthday Pantglas cupcake

Not sure what I’ll do today, I should start wrapping, I’ll look out the Christmas wrapping box definitely. That’ll be a start.

I’m so bored with my own cooking, I miss going out for dinner and takeaways just aren’t the same. Ho hum, off to consult ‘A hundred and one ways to cook chicken’.

Have as good a day as possible, take care.

Grandmabatty Sat 05-Dec-20 09:08:50

Good morning All from a dry and getting brighter Polmont. I had a lovely day at dd yesterday. She got back from the hairdresser earlier than expected and we sat and blethered for a while as dgs tootled between us. I'm so grateful for good friends and family. There are so many things happening on this thread this morning! I'm sure I won't remember them all to mention. Mick I hope your friend gets on the bus. Grandmattie it is a quandary for Iris's parents but I'm sure they'll muddle through. Marydoll excellent news about your refund and especially useful at this time of year. MissChatelaine that's such a boost for you. I'm sure the surroundings won't matter. I'm putting up the christmas decorations this weekend. I have nowhere to go so a quiet time ahead but that's fine. Christmas carols, mince pies and decorating ahead. Have a good day all.

dragonfly46 Sat 05-Dec-20 09:14:07

Good to hear from you Grammaretto. Wow 76 year anniversary! My parents made their 72nd.
I hope you have a restful day and can enjoy having your son there until Monday.

Susan56 Sat 05-Dec-20 09:15:44

Good morning from Shropshire.It was heavy rain when I started reading all your posts but has now stopped.

DGD stayed over last night and just had a text asking if she can stay again tonight so will be washing yesterday’s clothes this morning as she only keeps one spare outfit here now she is at school.

Great news of homecomings for Iris and Miss Chatelines partner?

Happy birthday Pantglas????

Hope you are feeling better today Grandmafrench and back to your happy self?

Urmstongran, I would go for the hug too?you have been home over a week now and there was talk that quarantine would be reduced to seven days so I’d say go for it?

Have a good day all and stay safe.