Gransnet forums

Chat

Anybody had trouble doorbell ringing and nobody there?

(58 Posts)
25Avalon Tue 08-Dec-20 12:48:43

I am not talking kids ringing the bell and running away. Last night at 10:50 I was about to shut my kindle and go to sleep when the back doorbell rang. I got up, woke dh up in next room (in case it was the mad axe man) and went along to investigate - we live in a long bungalow. I put the back lights on but there was no one there. I didn’t open the door but checked it was locked. The back is very dark and I’m pretty sure no one was there rather than risking breaking a leg on the steps. We have no immediate neighbours set in quite large grounds. The bell push is battery operated and sends a message to the plug in electric bell which rings in the hall. Anybody any ideas what caused it?

biba70 Wed 09-Dec-20 10:09:37

our bell is a real bell activated by a wire, pulling on a large metal dropper- so no, it never rings by 'mistake'

As kids though- it was the sort of stuff we would get up to ;)

PollyDolly Wed 09-Dec-20 10:10:03

SpringyChicken

Ooh, this post brings back memories. lol

I bought a doorbell for my mother. Before taking it to her, I tested it out in my kitchen and tried all the (numerous) different chimes. Whilst doing this, from the kitchen window I spotted my next door neighbour opening her front door numerous times, looking around and then closing the door. I didn't give it much thought until reading the instructions, it advised to alter the frequency to avoid interference from other people's doorbells.

It sounds like one of your neighbours has a new doorbell.

Oh, SpringyChicken, your comment did make me chuckle ??

Aepgirl Wed 09-Dec-20 10:16:31

This happens to me occasionally, and it is quite concerning. However, I resist the urge to open the door on the assumption if anybody really wanted to see me they would call out as well.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Wed 09-Dec-20 10:32:23

We've got a Ring doorbell so we can see on our phone who is there, and decide whether or not to answer the door! Occasionally it gets set off by a pesky cat which sneaks up the side to do its business in our back garden.
However, I did used to suffer from the car alarm going off at random times, and eventually traced the culprit to a small spider which had been scuttling across the sensor gizmo inside the car.

SunRising Wed 09-Dec-20 10:36:21

Ours does this if interruption in electricity as plugged in to socket. Did you have any clocks flashing ie on cooker.

orly Wed 09-Dec-20 10:43:27

Try changing the batteries at both ends. An erroneous ring can indicate low battery power (like when a smoke alarm begins to bleep continuously). A door bell will ring as the temperature falls and drains the battery more

tictacnana Wed 09-Dec-20 10:46:29

I’s say the battery door bell is the culprit. We had one, briefly,and it rang out at all hours ( driving the dog mad ) but had a ‘proper’ one wired in when the house was required.

sandwichgeneration Wed 09-Dec-20 11:03:41

Wireless doorbells sometimes do that. We had it for a while when someone else's bell was rung further down the road. Turns out they were on the same frequency. Also a low battery can do this, I understand.

Rutheleanor Wed 09-Dec-20 11:07:56

I have occasionally been woken in the night because I hear the doorbell ring. I dash downstairs and no one is there. I came to the conclusion that it was part of a dream.

25Avalon Wed 09-Dec-20 11:10:47

I’ll replace the battery too as it’s probably been in a while. Not interruptions to the electricity supply. Being in the country we have those quite often - usually after I have reprogrammed something such as the CH and have to do it all over again!

Boolya Wed 09-Dec-20 11:18:54

This happened to us and we realised that we and our neighbour over the rod had our wireless door bells on the same frequency. I changed ours (just look inside the box) and it ceased to be an issue.

Supernan Wed 09-Dec-20 11:30:17

Your doorbell is on the same frequency as a neighbour. Change the frequency in the bell push and the bell.

Nanny100 Wed 09-Dec-20 11:34:38

Our doorbell used to ring and nobody there! We finally realised it was every time the Out of Hours Dr service was in the road. It was their car two way radio system. Now if it rings and there’s no one there, we know one of the neighbours are ill !!

Phloembundle Wed 09-Dec-20 12:00:00

The weirdest thing happened to me on Monday. I was waiting for parcels when the doorbell rang. When I opened it there was no-one there and nowhere for a prankster to hide. I stood on the doorstep puzzling for half a minute, when I saw a red van approaching. Yup.It was the postman with my parcels. He laughed as he handed me my goods through the van window. I asked him if he'd rung the doorbell, but he hadn't.

jaylucy Wed 09-Dec-20 12:01:37

Yes we did.
Bought one of those bells that had a unit that you could move around with you, even out into the garden , so you could hear the bell wherever you were.
We took time to choose the ringtone etc , fixed it onto the front door and , being the kids that we were, one of us rang the bell, while the other stood in different places with the unit to hand.
All went well, until we changed the ring - and then suddenly we realised that we could no longer hear the bell !
I then noticed that each time we rang the bell, that a neighbour in the close was coming out of their house and there was no one there - they had the same system as we did and as their door was within 150 metres of ours, our bell push was actually working their system!
So we changed the ringtone and it worked well again - until our doorbell started ringing at 11pm, 2am, 4.30 am and 7am!
We found out that the 7am ring was for someone across the road, that had called for a taxi to get to work!
No idea about the other times, but the bell etc was then chucked in the bin as would have cost as much as we paid for it to be returned !

Tree58 Wed 09-Dec-20 12:16:18

J52

We had a wireless doorbell and this was always happening, apparently something to do with interference.
We gave up and put a wired one in.

The same thing happened to us.

timetogo2016 Wed 09-Dec-20 12:29:53

Agree with bearl.
It happens with the smoke alarm,we change the battery and all is fine.

Madwoman11 Wed 09-Dec-20 12:29:57

They are prone to this, and can be triggered by various things

kentmaid Wed 09-Dec-20 12:30:12

SpringyChicken

Ooh, this post brings back memories. lol

I bought a doorbell for my mother. Before taking it to her, I tested it out in my kitchen and tried all the (numerous) different chimes. Whilst doing this, from the kitchen window I spotted my next door neighbour opening her front door numerous times, looking around and then closing the door. I didn't give it much thought until reading the instructions, it advised to alter the frequency to avoid interference from other people's doorbells.

It sounds like one of your neighbours has a new doorbell.

Not exactly the same but a “neighbour” (actually across the wide road and one door along IYSWIM) had the doorbell chiming but no one there. Several months went by then they noticed that whenever we had a visitor, their doorbell chimed as well.

Powerful stuff that wifi!

elleks Wed 09-Dec-20 12:34:17

Yes, ours does this; I think it's people going by with mobile phones. Does your bell have a choice of ring-tones? Our does, and luckily the interference rings as one of the tones we don't use. So unless it rings the Big Ben chimes, we ignore it!

Keeper1 Wed 09-Dec-20 12:37:31

Sometimes when we use the fob for the garage door it not only opens the garage door but rings the doorbell as well.

Matelda Wed 09-Dec-20 13:01:25

I sometimes seem to hear the doorbell ring when I am just waking up, and I suppose the same thing might happen when I am on the point of falling asleep. I'm sure now it isn't real, but a very convincing auditory hallucination. I seem to be fully functioning in all other respects, so I don't worry about it. Other people I have spoken to have experienced the same thing.

25Avalon Wed 09-Dec-20 13:50:19

It wasn’t an auditory hallucination as I was still reading my kindle.

Teamug Wed 09-Dec-20 13:53:48

This happened to us but fortunately during day turned out the batteries were low ,hope you get it sorted.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 09-Dec-20 14:37:21

Anyone else thinking that the obvious answer is an old-fashioned door-bell?