Gransnet forums

Chat

Anybody had trouble doorbell ringing and nobody there?

(58 Posts)
25Avalon Tue 08-Dec-20 12:48:43

I am not talking kids ringing the bell and running away. Last night at 10:50 I was about to shut my kindle and go to sleep when the back doorbell rang. I got up, woke dh up in next room (in case it was the mad axe man) and went along to investigate - we live in a long bungalow. I put the back lights on but there was no one there. I didn’t open the door but checked it was locked. The back is very dark and I’m pretty sure no one was there rather than risking breaking a leg on the steps. We have no immediate neighbours set in quite large grounds. The bell push is battery operated and sends a message to the plug in electric bell which rings in the hall. Anybody any ideas what caused it?

25Avalon Wed 09-Dec-20 14:42:48

I have one of those for the front door. Difficult to wire up electric one for back door.

Grandyma Wed 09-Dec-20 15:19:07

We had this problem in our previous house. We eventually realised that our neighbours remote car key worked on the same frequency!!

Fernbergien Wed 09-Dec-20 16:04:43

We had same problem and when we changed frequency in bell it stopped. Also neighbours car key also set something off.

mrscake1 Wed 09-Dec-20 17:38:39

We had this at 7.30 am last Friday. The doorbell rang and when I got up and looked out there were no footsteps in the snow outside so it seemed very weird at the time. Turns out we had a very brief power cut which made it ring when the electricity came on again.

olliebeak Wed 09-Dec-20 19:24:38

HurdyGurdy

Yes, had that - but not for a while, come to think of it. Assumed it was, as has been said above, someone else with a bell on the same channel.

But randomly, the tv in the bedroom will switch on at precisely 3am. Never a minute either side!

I've taken to pulling the plug out at night

Regarding your TV set switching on automatically -

I was having a similar problem and found that 'somehow' I'd manage to set some kind of TV Programme Auto Switchon. I found it when I went into 'Scheduled Programmes' - apparently I'd done some kind of 'Series Link' which meant that EVERY TIME this particular programme came on, my TV automatically switched over to it ........................ even when the TV was switched off. It drove me mad till I managed to 'unprogramme' the schedule.

SpringyChicken Wed 09-Dec-20 22:11:03

On one occasion, my husband was asleep in front of the tv but woke up with a start owing to a doorbell ringing on the programme. He gave me such a filthy look, I knew he was thinking 'aren't you going to answer the door, I've just woken up' so I said 'it's the telly'.
He stomped out to the hall, only to return saying 'there's no one there'. I laughed my head off.

grandmac Thu 10-Dec-20 20:51:43

this used to happen to me where I lived before. It turned out to be someone parking nearby and using a key fob to lock/unlock their car. Quite unnerving if you live alone!